Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Redcliffe in Brisabane a nice area to live?

Is Redcliffe in Brisabane a nice area to live?

Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:43 pm
Addicted Member

Contact Lensed Optimist will become famous soon enough
Default Is Redcliffe in Brisabane a nice area to live?

[F]G'd evening folks, my DH and I have been considering Redcliffe as a potential place to live in Brisbane when we emigrate in June Does anyone have any knowledge of the area? Basically we want to live in an area close to the coast, but not too far from the CBD of Brisbane e.g 45 mins travel etc? Any advice would be truly appreciated. [/FONT]
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice
Default Re: Is Redcliffe in Brisabane a nice area to live?

Originally Posted by Contact Lensed Optimist
[F]G'd evening folks, my DH and I have been considering Redcliffe as a potential place to live in Brisbane when we emigrate in June Does anyone have any knowledge of the area? Basically we want to live in an area close to the coast, but not too far from the CBD of Brisbane e.g 45 mins travel etc? Any advice would be truly appreciated. [/FONT]
me and my husband were also thinking of redcliffe or caloundra.we haven't applied for our visa yet but we are going to brisbane on 6th april to check things out!Any tips on where to start?
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:07 pm
Addicted Member

:[F]thumbsup: Good for you Camakazi,

We toured Perth Melbourne, Sidney and Brissy over recent years and although we loved each of them, in the cold light of day Brisbane seems the most logical and appropriate for our current needs. Unfortunately we had a limited opportunity to explore Brissy, we visited mainly the central area. This was due to the seductive attractions of Broadbeach in the Gold Coast. I would truly appreciate an update on your thoughts and experiences on both areas when you visit shortly. Have a good journey and a fab time down under.
[/FONT]
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

The beachfront part of Redcliffe had a lot of money spent on it a few years ago which has resulted in the area becoming more popular. As Brisbane (like all Aussie cities) covers a large geographic area the thing to do is remain flexible until you find the right job as this should dictate where you want to live. Nothing worse than travelling huge distances to work everyday as can be expensive and a total waste of valuable time in my opinion.
I live in Shailer Park which is southside 20 mins from Brisbane CBD but only 1/2 hr drive to Surfers (not that I go often!!).
hope this helps a bit
Cheers

Stuart from Plymouth
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

I have a good friend and his family that have lived in Redcliffe for 30 plus years and they love it.Hope it suits you guys.All the very best in June when you emigrate.
http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel...uide/redcliffe You might have to copy and paste the website or just google Redcliffe Queensland.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Redcliffe. I think it's lovely, but not much to do for young people though, I prefer being closer to the city - and it costs at least $50 in a cab from Redcliffe. My brother and Mum still live there, they love it.
J
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:26 am
Addicted Member

Thank you everyone,

your messages have been very encouraging.

C.L.O.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 11:38 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

If you are intending to commute, the actual time may vary due to traffic congestion, accidents etc on the arterial routes, so alow at least an hour. There is no rail-link either with the nearest train station at Sandgate or Shorncliffe, with buses connecting to and from Redcliffe.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

:[F]thumbsup: Good for you Camakazi,

We toured Perth Melbourne, Sidney and Brissy over recent years and although we loved each of them, in the cold light of day Brisbane seems the most logical and appropriate for our current needs. Unfortunately we had a limited opportunity to explore Brissy, we visited mainly the central area. This was due to the seductive attractions of Broadbeach in the Gold Coast. I would truly appreciate an update on your thoughts and experiences on both areas when you visit shortly. Have a good journey and a fab time down under.
[/FONT]
Hi! Just back from our trip to oz! Visited redcliff but was more impressed with caloundra ( 30 MIN FROM redcliffe )Lovely beaches, v. friendly people , great job oppourtunities for jobs for both me and my oh. he's a joiner and i'm a classroom assistant.lovely houses aswell!went to gold coast but didn't like it as thought it was too commercialized and people not as nice.diffentley think the sunshine coast is nicer!!just need to make the big decision about wether to go or not!!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 6:09 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Redcliffe is lovely.Not as scenic as the Sunny Coast and no waves as its sheltered by Moreton Island.As someone said before it has had a lot of money spent on it re generating the area and they've done a good job.
Old May 25th 2007, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Hi

I also have a chance of work about 20 kms north of brisbane and have also been looking at redcliffe but really fancy caloundra..but worried it may be a bit far north to travel to caboolture and strathpine which is where I may be working. The beaches arounf caloundra look fab. We are visiting in August so will let people know. Also have an interview in hervey bay and one in Mackay. Then have to make a decision where to live and work..then visa application and off we go..my job is on the very much in demand list so shouldn't be any problems with the visa..I am a sports podiatrist. I dont think the question should be shall we go to Oz..but where???? Can't wait to visit for 3 weeks in August..we are basically doing the east coast..sydney to cape tribulation and I have the interviews along the way!!

Good luck to you all and keep posted on where you decide.
Old May 25th 2007, 2:53 pm
A roo in my top paddock!

Dreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
I grew up in Redcliffe. I think it's lovely, but not much to do for young people though, I prefer being closer to the city - and it costs at least $50 in a cab from Redcliffe. My brother and Mum still live there, they love it.
J
I was just going to say it seemed more for the older end to me-not much going on and quite sedate.We were there April this year.It is beautiful though but lots of places are.
There is a lovely lagoon there which is great of the kids-everything free including parking.
We like Ormiston,Wellington Point and Cleveland but its just a matter of personal choice really.
Good luck with your decision.Its a nice one to have to make!!
Janice x
Old May 25th 2007, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Hi
Thanks for the reply..i have also been offered work in Wellington Point....may look there too in August..
Old May 25th 2007, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

busaturbo is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
i lived at Kalangur and Petrie and our local beach was Redcliffe and Scarbough both of which were very nice and quite the thing i liked about redcliffe is that it is just of the main highway so house prices were a bit lower and it has an outside public beach pool area which was very good in the jelly fish season also very safe for kids. as someone else said its not on the main line rail but the station was just across the hornybrook bridge if you needed to get to the city, although there is a fair bit of small industry locally, there is a fair bit of entertainment locally aswell pubs clubs bowls boats etc not like the city though,you also mention coloundra well if i didnt have to work that is where i would live given the choice or bribie island second choice i also worked on the sunshine coast for 9 months building the sunshine highway and living in a mobile home at coolum well what a fantastic place to live but no real industry as such. i hope this helps your discission i always think it is best to rent a place for 6 months first before going for a permanent place
andy