Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Redback - whatif

Redback - whatif

Old Dec 19th 2005, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough
Default Redback - whatif

I wonder what actually happens if a Redback spider bites you. Do you die, vomit, scream in agony, bloat like a baboons bum, hallucinate or what?

I also wonder what you should do if one bites you. Is it a trip to the hospital or just the chemists or do you just suffer until the symptoms disappear
Old Dec 19th 2005, 6:47 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Redback - whatif

Originally Posted by migrantoz
I wonder what actually happens if a Redback spider bites you. Do you die, vomit, scream in agony, bloat like a baboons bum, hallucinate or what?

I also wonder what you should do if one bites you. Is it a trip to the hospital or just the chemists or do you just suffer until the symptoms disappear
What happened to Peter Parker, dont you know?
- Bart
Old Dec 19th 2005, 7:06 am
ABCDiamond

Red back spiders
Red back spider bites are common. They rarely cause death.
They can cause severe pain, sweating, muscle weakness, nausea (feeling ill) and vomiting.
There is often sweating around the bite, which may spread.
The symptoms can get worse for an hour or two.
There may be abdominal (gut) pain - especially in children.

In a few people, symptoms are more severe and can include fever, rash, thirst, diarrhoea and severe distress.

Take the child to a doctor as soon as possible in case anti venom is needed (it is not needed for most people).

For red back bites, first aid is to apply an icepack to lessen the pain.

Do not apply a pressure bandage, as this can make the pain worse.
Keep the person as quiet as possible.
http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/Heal...=305&id=2318#2

Old Dec 19th 2005, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Unycorne is on a distinguished road

Great question.

I have been told that you know it is a redback bite because you feel at though you are on fire and it is excruciating painful and that you have approx 1 hour to get your ass to the hospital for a jab. Once that is done i think you get sent home.........

Would like to hear if what i have been told it true though.

michelle

Thanks ABC Diamond - we must have been replying at the same time
Old Dec 19th 2005, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

My friend's little boy got bitten (it was hiding in his shoe). The foot became swollen and he was pretty ill he had to go to hospital where they thought that it was something else and sent him home. The next day he was still very ill so they took him back to the hospital where he was given the anti venom. At no point was it a case of life or death but he was poorly and it wasn't something that I would wish an anyone.
Nicky
Old Dec 19th 2005, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replies. I'm anticipating getting a spider bite at some point as I climb around in lots of ceiling spaces and am forever getting covered in webs.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 8:09 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Bite the bastard back..................

ZX.........
Old Dec 19th 2005, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

I climb around in lots of ceiling spaces and am forever getting covered in webs.
Resist the temptation.

WW
Old Dec 19th 2005, 2:23 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. I'm anticipating getting a spider bite at some point as I climb around in lots of ceiling spaces and am forever getting covered in webs.

Our electrician told us we had red backs and white tails (tips?) in our roof space
Needless to say we stuck up a couple of mortein bombs and then called the pest control man!

Tracey
Old Dec 19th 2005, 2:53 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Red back spiders
Red back spider bites are common. They rarely cause death.
They can cause severe pain, sweating, muscle weakness, nausea (feeling ill) and vomiting.
There is often sweating around the bite, which may spread.
The symptoms can get worse for an hour or two.
There may be abdominal (gut) pain - especially in children.

In a few people, symptoms are more severe and can include fever, rash, thirst, diarrhoea and severe distress.

Take the child to a doctor as soon as possible in case anti venom is needed (it is not needed for most people).

For red back bites, first aid is to apply an icepack to lessen the pain.

Do not apply a pressure bandage, as this can make the pain worse.
Keep the person as quiet as possible.
http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/Heal...=305&id=2318#2

Fantastic link. Been looking for something like this so we can jen up before the move.

Once again a source of really helpful info.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 19th 2005, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Great question,

I am still worried about how we would know as I also have 2 little boys who are looking forward to climbling trees and being outside in general. Is the mark like a red dot surrounded by angry red swollen skin or what. As we may not know if its a spider or say a snake. I am just worried as the boys may get bitten and have not even seen what bit them?

thanks
Nicola

Oh yeah just an afterthought do huntsmen live in Queensland?
Old Dec 19th 2005, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nicola411
Oh yeah just an afterthought do huntsmen live in Queensland?
LOL

WW
Old Dec 19th 2005, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

What all this shows is that a lot of the venemous creatures in Australia are not the lethal things they are presented as. Only the weak or unlucky die at the hands of them. It's not like you will die on the spot in 100pc of cases.