Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is this a redback spider?

Is this a redback spider?

Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:06 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is this a redback spider?

http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/features/sp...redback-id.asp

Did they dust your loft space?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:43 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Question Re: Is this a redback spider?

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
I paid $240 to have my house sprayed, inside and out, last August after I found a HUGE spider in my daugher's bedroom (which I'm sure wasn't dangerous, just scary!). We haven't seen as much as a house spider inside since so from my pov it was money very well spent. They reckon it lasts 9 months so I'll have it done again in April just to be on the safe side
This may seem a silly question but would you spray a new house before you move in or afterwards?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
This may seem a silly question but would you spray a new house before you move in or afterwards?
If possible, I'd do it before - then there is no furniture in the way & no need to keep people/pets out the house.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

It really is quite rare to find a redback inside a house.
In 36 years I have never seen one indoors, neither in Adelaide or Perth.
I can go outside and find plenty, like under the carport or near the gates
You won't often encounter an adult male redback because...unless he has been a good boy ...the female eats him after mating
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jond
Hi Simon

Get one of those insect bombs, set it off shut the door and walk out, hey presto everthing is dead when you come back an hour or so later

I suppose it is the insect version of being nuked

John
Do you think the bomb would do the same in a barn(we can close the doors) only we parked the car in there the other day and a massive fat hairy huntsman was sat inside(kids had left the window open).....not good! to 2 splats with OH's shoe it was soooooooo big!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:43 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

We've had a Redback nest in the loft for months now, see at least a few a day and I can even tell between a male and a female.

The females have big bums! ...

Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:07 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Do these insect bombs have a residual effect at all, or are they just a quick kill and that's it? Just wondering what sort of indoor toxins we could be potentially exposing ourselves to.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
You won't often encounter an adult male redback because...unless he has been a good boy ...the female eats him after mating
I dunno....we had a big one behind the washing machine (in the house). I left it for ages, until it started going walkies and then I morteined it.
Heaps in the garage too, but depends if you count that as indoors or not.
I leave my dive kit hanging in the garage, and check it very thoroughly before putting it all back on!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

famousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nicefamousflo is just really nice

o.m.g!! not sure why i decided to read this thread when i know i'm not a big spider fan.......now sat here feely slighty itch all over, i'm hoping it's a case of ignore them and they'll ignore you but with 3 kids and hopefully two cats (not sure if they're coming or not) i think i'll have to go down the spraying route. eeuuggghhhhh
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Missed this post,

Your joking right?

As I said I see them INDOORS daily as we have a nest in the loft I'm told. Only yesterday one came down from the ceiling fan above the shower, WHILE I WAS IN IT!!!!! ...

Could post 'a pic a day' easy!

Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:16 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

pAUL ITS TIME TO MOVE !!!

Oops caps lock was on.

Ive never seen a red back inside the house, period !

We have everything else, including snakes inside , but never a redback.

We have a few BIGGUNS in the sheds but none in the house !!

Mate its not normal, albeit it happnes, you gotta get it sorted and done properly !!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Missed this post,

Your joking right?

As I said I see them INDOORS daily as we have a nest in the loft I'm told. Only yesterday one came down from the ceiling fan above the shower, WHILE I WAS IN IT!!!!! ...

Could post 'a pic a day' easy!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...os/7875444.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...1220071092.jpg
Hey....the pic at the top, the one with two spideys in it....what's the one on the left? that isn't a redback is it.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nerine
Hey....the pic at the top, the one with two spideys in it....what's the one on the left? that isn't a redback is it.
No it's not, haven't a clue to be honest.

We get allsorts and are always told that the daddy long legs will take care of the redbacks, but have seen them both together like in this pic loads of times and the redback don't seem too bothered ...

A friend at work today told me to put a redback and a daddy long leg into a tupperware type of container and watch what happens. THIS is when you'll see the redback in action!

Apparently a daddy long legs would kill a human ... IF! ... it's fangs could pierce our skin!

Just wondering if it's time for the 'loo roll' pic ...
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:12 am

What's the loo roll pic?

Ta, I have a feeling those little stripey ones are harmless anyway.

The lad is really enjoying these pics, just told me that the daddy long legs is the most poisonous spider in the world.

We'd love a snake thread if anyone's got any photos
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nerine
What's the loo roll pic?

Ta, I have a feeling those little stripey ones are harmless anyway.

The lad is really enjoying these pics, just told me that the daddy long legs is the most poisonous spider in the world.

We'd love a snake thread if anyone's got any photos
Ok you asked for it! ...

Gives you an idea of the possible size altho I've heard in the outback you can get them the size of a dinner plate! ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.