Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Red light camera on a British License

Red light camera on a British License

Old Apr 9th 2014, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red light camera on a British License

Originally Posted by paulry
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Originally Posted by AJRussell
At this stage I care not about the moral/ethical side of the argument
Why blame someone else when the Amber light duration is over 4 seconds at 70KPH junctions and over 3.5 seconds at 60Kph Junctions ?????

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1959789
I agree. The amber duration is generous almost to a fault.
Finally we're getting to the moral (and legal) side of the argument... it took much longer than it normally does for either red lights or speeding offences.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 9:45 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Finally we're getting to the moral (and legal) side of the argument... it took much longer than it normally does for either red lights or speeding offences.
Well it was a bit rich to blame the jackass in front of him.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
+1......that's what happened to me. The points will be 'assigned' to your records and as soon as you go for a NSW license they will be appended to it.
10 years ago points I got associated with a Uk license did not transfer to my Vic license on application but I already had a WA licence and they did not get there either.

(I thought front tyres across on amber was fine : you were simply the last vehicle through....does this mean that all tyres have to be clear of the line on amber..so that when red lights anyone is in violation....)
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:25 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
10 years ago points I got associated with a Uk license did not transfer to my Vic license on application but I already had a WA licence and they did not get there either.

(I thought front tyres across on amber was fine : you were simply the last vehicle through....does this mean that all tyres have to be clear of the line on amber..so that when red lights anyone is in violation....)
Found this from NSW to explain red light traffic cameras - http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov....ras/index.html
Old Apr 10th 2014, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Found this from NSW to explain red light traffic cameras - http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov....ras/index.html
I'm fairly sure the sensors are a full two meters in front of the white line, if you look really closely you can see the sensors in the road... Crossing as a pedestrian at a busy intersection is the best time to look. I triggered one about 3 years back, when I decided because of a clear road behind me, to go forward or straight from a red signal right hand turn lane, thus triggering the right hand turn camera.

I did not get a fine nor any contact through the post... They reviewed the cameras and the offence was on the right hand turn only... It didn't matter that I had "Illegally'' ???? changed lanes in the within the intersection, as the cameras were not set up to monitor or pursue that.

I posted on here at the time, whislt awaiting the bad news in the post and it never arrived.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 10th 2014 at 3:21 am.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

AJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really nice

Why blame someone else when the Amber light duration is over 4 seconds at 70KPH junctions and over 3.5 seconds at 60Kph Junctions ?????

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1959789

Appreciate the comment, I'm used to a RL appearing 2 seconds after amber. So now I dont know whether to brake and sit at the lights for a couple seconds with Aussies giving me the finger behind, or carry on! Its a nightmare!

My wheels had gone through and I flowing slowly as the vehicle in front had come to a near stop as he filtered right! No idea why!

The pictures support this, the only picture I don't have is the moment it goes red.. funnily that isn't shown on the SDRO website!

My right to drive has expired, I only drive on the weekend as the missis has the car - so I will just get the license in due course, then take up driving again.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Appreciate the comment, I'm used to a RL appearing 2 seconds after amber. So now I dont know whether to brake and sit at the lights for a couple seconds with Aussies giving me the finger behind, or carry on! Its a nightmare!

My wheels had gone through and I flowing slowly as the vehicle in front had come to a near stop as he filtered right! No idea why!

The pictures support this, the only picture I don't have is the moment it goes red.. funnily that isn't shown on the SDRO website!

My right to drive has expired, I only drive on the weekend as the missis has the car - so I will just get the license in due course, then take up driving again.
Not sure how your right to drive has expired, It would be a extremely zealous copper that chases up how long you've been in the country if you needed to present your UK license at any road check or stop. Only way you would cop it bad would be if you've done something very illegal, from .05 upwards (drink driving that is).

Have you accumulated to many penalty points or something ?
Old Apr 10th 2014, 4:30 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how your right to drive has expired, It would be a extremely zealous copper that chases up how long you've been in the country if you needed to present your UK license at any road check or stop. Only way you would cop it bad would be if you've done something very illegal, from .05 upwards (drink driving that is).

Have you accumulated to many penalty points or something ?
OP has been in the country for longer than 3 months as PR so cannot use UK license. I hope you are not suggesting they drive illegally
Old Apr 10th 2014, 4:54 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney siders turning at a junction don't tend to pull into junctions to allow following traffic to pass by them - it drives me insane - they will sit across the main carriageway, holding up traffic waiting for a gap, or somebody to let them across (fat chance).

S
Old Apr 10th 2014, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

AJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really nice

This is my first 'points' - I'm annoyed, 12 years driving in the UK, nothing, no tickets/points, not even a parking ticket (at least issued by a warden.. private land doenst count)! Here 11 weeks.. huge fine..
Old Apr 10th 2014, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OP has been in the country for longer than 3 months as PR so cannot use UK license. I hope you are not suggesting they drive illegally
Yehp

You'll only get done for doing a really wrong thing..... I guess insurance in a accident could be an issue. Tis a technicality though, rather than an out right prohibition.

The cops are far more likely to warn than take punitive action... especially in the first year.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I work for a mob who calibrate the things and will ask tomorrow too.

I confess to being told and having forgotten...
I was told they are well calibrated and generally you are guilty in scenarios where there is no aggro...

The time I got done was user error: me- the mitigating circumstances of weather and caution did not serve as a defence, I figured and I did not contest it.

I got caught on red as I didn't want to stop suddenly in pouring rain: if anything I was driving slowly too...I simply dawdled through and had a moment of shall I stop or go...see the act I was guilty of was naive motoring and therefore even careless driving...the reality is that if you are doing the limit or below there is time to come to a stop on amber.

Ps The Nsw site tallies with what I have been told for Vic.
Amber is all good...you trigger by entering on red.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Apr 10th 2014 at 8:20 am.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 11:02 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Sydney siders turning at a junction don't tend to pull into junctions to allow following traffic to pass by them - it drives me insane - they will sit across the main carriageway, holding up traffic waiting for a gap, or somebody to let them across (fat chance).

S
Yes it was the same in Queensland, they would sit behind the line and when the light changed they would go which often meant anyone behind them was stuck again at the red light. If they pulled into the junction often 3 or 4 cars could go.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

As this happened to me before I was a resident so the fee is paid no matter what. If you were overseas and still living in the UK and didn't pay then when you came to migrate to OZ the fine would show against you and affect your application.

Now been ages since I got my QLD licence but once I gained my QLD licence I believe the demerits were added pro rata to the date of the offence. as they never tell you the time remaining on points like the UK paper licences then if you don't keep track of the offence dates you are driving blind.

They don't even tell you when you are down to your last 3 points.

And the QLD zero tolerance can go do one as it's yet another thinly veiled ploy to revenue collect cos the government can't run the state effectively on taxes. Sorry, just couldn't resist that dig