Wikiposts

red backs v dog

Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: red backs v dog

Originally Posted by Rudi
I read somewhere that animals are not harms by spider bite from red backs like humans are.

Rudi

Perhaps someone ought to tell our dog this!!!

Seriously, Our year old Boxer, AKA, Lampard, has had numerous spider bites and has been very bad with each one. At one point he had been bitten by something, was lying on the bathroom floor, panting with a face so swollen it looked like he had done 10 rounds with MIke Tyson. My two boys literally had to carry him to the vets, where she said it was a red back bite.

When we moved into our house the gardens were fantastic. HUNDREDS of palm trees, native bushes and plants. Trouble was it was a minefield for Lamps. He would go off exploring and get bitten. We have had to slab the whole area over with limestone pavers just to keep hom safe.........and to keep a bit of money in our pocket as the vets bill was HUGE!!!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:22 am
AJ100

AJ100 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Perhaps someone ought to tell our dog this!!!

Seriously, Our year old Boxer, AKA, Lampard, has had numerous spider bites and has been very bad with each one. At one point he had been bitten by something, was lying on the bathroom floor, panting with a face so swollen it looked like he had done 10 rounds with MIke Tyson. My two boys literally had to carry him to the vets, where she said it was a red back bite.

When we moved into our house the gardens were fantastic. HUNDREDS of palm trees, native bushes and plants. Trouble was it was a minefield for Lamps. He would go off exploring and get bitten. We have had to slab the whole area over with limestone pavers just to keep hom safe.........and to keep a bit of money in our pocket as the vets bill was HUGE!!!
Sorry to here about lamps has he learnt to keep away from them if he see's any spiders, is a bit of a worry as we would like a big garden for our dog but may have to settle for a pool and a patch of grass, but he would enjoy the beach, only sharks to worry about then. maybe if he see's a huntsman it may put him off,
Old Oct 20th 2005, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

sid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nice

There's some info here about taking care of dogs in summer. It has a section on redback bites.
http://www.allaboutpetswa.com/Animal...r%20Summer.htm
Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:17 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sid_s
There's some info here about taking care of dogs in summer. It has a section on redback bites.
http://www.allaboutpetswa.com/Animal...r%20Summer.htm

Thanks for the link - thats excellent and very helpful - I have it bookmarked,

Karma sent,

Lynn
Old Oct 20th 2005, 1:43 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Hi Guys
Had a training session in work yesterday, I am a vet nurse it would seem we are now heading into the biting/stinging season. Snakes being the bigger problem, thought I would let you guys know this interesting bit of info, a tiger snake bite! well if your dog gets bitten, falls down and then is running around 30mins later get to the vets as soon as possible or it will die!!!!! It would seem this is a typical situation where the owner thinks the snake bite wasn't fatal afterall and doesn't go to the vets and then the dog dies shortly afterwards.
They suggested anybody who has a feeling their dog may have been bitten it is better to pay for half days hospital at the vets than sit at home and then find your pet dead later, its costly though so decide whether you would pay $1000+ to save your pet.
Spider bites happen and basically the same, get them to the vets asap. If you have killed the snake, although really it should be alive and well take it with you to the vets, 95% of all snake bites happen when somebody tries to catch/kill the snake.
May as well bring this up as well, grass seed problems seem to be massive over here, if your dog start licking it paws or going for its ears get is checked, grass seeds can cause so many problems if left.

Anyhow hope all your doggies enjoy summer, and survive to see next years.
Jenny
Old Oct 20th 2005, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jocky boy
Jesus snakes :scared: ' do you get many snakes in perth where abouts is it do you stay i am going down the south west of perth bunbury 2 hours drive away.

regards
john
Yes we get them here too John, one in my friends garden the other day.
I am dreading seeing one, am absolutely terrified, Denise
Old Oct 21st 2005, 11:15 am
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future

Hi
do you know what kind of snakes there are in soth west bunbury, areas or up in perth regions.
i'm not scared of spiders or anything crawly but slithery that's a different matter.
thats one sadistic looking avator jensteve

regards
john

Last edited by jocky boy; Oct 21st 2005 at 11:49 am.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 2:03 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Hi
do you know what kind of snakes there are in soth west bunbury, areas or up in perth regions.
i'm not scared of spiders or anything crawly but slithery that's a different matter.

regards
john
Hi
My avatar is great I even have one at home but she runs around barking!
I am sure my vet boss said tiger snake and brown, I assumed he meant the brown was a dugite. He said the tiger snake caused more problems because people don't tend to think it has done much damage as your pooch jumps back up and acts normally and then 30mins later pops its cloggs.
Hope it all helped, already having the grass seed cases coming in!

Jenny
Old Oct 24th 2005, 5:21 am
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future

hi beth and my are bringing over our 2 dogs timmy and harvey they are both border collies that's the thing i was wondering about the snakes and the dogs, i am going to bunbury 2 hours from perth i dont know what the snakes are like there if there aer many there. is the vet fees any different there or the same as here.

do you know of any good pet export companys in scotland or the uk.

regards
john
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:18 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

hi beth and my are bringing over our 2 dogs timmy and harvey they are both border collies that's the thing i was wondering about the snakes and the dogs, i am going to bunbury 2 hours from perth i dont know what the snakes are like there if there aer many there. is the vet fees any different there or the same as here.

do you know of any good pet export companys in scotland or the uk.

regards
john
Have you tried 'Pet travel services' that we are using? They are based in Dunfermline and i've already posted their contact details on this thread - we are using them and they have been great so far - relatives of ours also used them to ship their dog to Oz and also highly recommend them.

Lynn
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:04 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

regards
john
I guess the ones to worry about are tigers and dugites, both deadly and very common.