Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are Red Backs quite sure-footed?

Are Red Backs quite sure-footed?

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are Red Backs quite sure-footed?

Just seen a few in our new alfresco, hanging precariously over where the new barbie is going to be plugged in. Would you gas them or bung them on the heat beads?(also have a Weber for good measure and to make the visiting family feel at home!)

Was quite expecting them as we've been told they are more common in new houses (?)

Any preventative measures apart from dusting the cobwebs regularly

Mrs J
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:40 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Red Backs quite sure-footed?

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Just seen a few in our new alfresco, hanging precariously over where the new barbie is going to be plugged in. Would you gas them or bung them on the heat beads?(also have a Weber for good measure and to make the visiting family feel at home!)

Was quite expecting them as we've been told they are more common in new houses (?)

Mrs J
No answers for you as we're still in the UK but would be interested to hear anybody's replies.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:45 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

get the house sprayed outside and inside by a pesticidal maniac for about 100-200$ and they'll be gone.

you dont wanna get bitten by one they'll sting a bit for a while.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:51 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Buy "bombs" from Bunnings, do inside, and if possible under the house every few months or so as it recommends on the packet
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:09 pm
Banned

mutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nice

FFS just roll up a newspaper and give it the good news. It's only a spider and not a very big one.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:24 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I usually just zap them with mortein, or leave them if they are just minding their own business and out of my line of vision, but i guess with hellraiser having reached that stage of going everywhere he shouldnt we'll be buying the big thing of mortein for spraying your outside with seen as i'm too tight to get a bloke in, no matter how fit he is

Lynn
Old Aug 24th 2005, 1:52 am
ABCDiamond

Mrs J
You can get a can of surface spray specifically for spiders. which may work well.

On the subject of spiders, I found one in the house yesterday, a tiny thing, green with a white bottom, so I sprayed it and stood the can of spray on top of it, to stop it moving away where I couldn't see it !!

I then waited till my daughter got home from primary school, and she identified it as a common harmless garden spider, she often plays with them apparently !! God ! I almost had to lie down...

Normally I let my wife deal with the odd spiders

Time to consider the pest control people again, but it's only been 9 months since they last did the house.

Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:02 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using the BBQ burger flipper thing to whack 'em. That usually does the trick.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:27 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I spray all my outside furnitire in spring with a long lasting surface spray which seems to work.

I didn't do it the first year and come Autumn I decided to have a look under all our outside chairs. Every one of them had at least one redback living underneath - including the little kids chairs :scared:
Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:27 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs J
Introduce em to the vacuum cleaner! Works everytime!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by meelie
Introduce em to the vacuum cleaner! Works everytime!
But what if they get out of the vacuum cleaner ? :scared:

Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:49 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But what if they get out of the vacuum cleaner ? :scared:
mmm now theres a point! The old flea collar in the vacuum cleaner won't work with spiders will it? (picked that one up from how clean is your house)
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:11 am
Nicest member ( I think)

Originally Posted by meelie
mmm now theres a point! The old flea collar in the vacuum cleaner won't work with spiders will it? (picked that one up from how clean is your house)
Oh and in case you are wondering, I don't and didn't have a flea problem. I just pick up useless bits of info.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:22 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I believe thermo-nuclear devices do the trick, and in the current global ecomony are a real steal.

Alternatively....do as the man above said and whack it with a newspaper. They fall on the ground and curl up in a ball if you so much as look at them anyway. Not exactly aggresive!!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 3:22 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

DID SOMEONE SAY SPIDERS :scared:

Hate the damn things!!! Hubby noticed a couple of redbacks hanging around our bedroom window (on the outside thankfully!!) and apparently the house we are in hasnt been sprayed since it was built!! (2yrs ago!) so we have the 'spiderman' coming on friday to spray the house.