Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recycling near you

Recycling near you

Old Nov 9th 2004, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recycling near you

Hi guys
It's national recycling week and I've just found a site where you can type your postcode and check up what recycling facilities exist.
http://www.recyclingnearyou.com.au/
We really don't have much in the city of Joondalup, although there is a recycling tip near Minarie. We went yesterday with our packing boxes, they weighed the car on entry and exit and charged us $6 for our efforts! Hope you lot have better facilities in your area.
Larissa
Old Nov 9th 2004, 2:42 am
scoobydoo

Default Re: Recycling near you

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hi guys
It's national recycling week and I've just found a site where you can type your postcode and check up what recycling facilities exist.
http://www.recyclingnearyou.com.au/
We really don't have much in the city of Joondalup, although there is a recycling tip near Minarie. We went yesterday with our packing boxes, they weighed the car on entry and exit and charged us $6 for our efforts! Hope you lot have better facilities in your area.
Larissa

We are lucky here and have a huge wheely bin that is just for recyclable stuff. We also have a garden and compost bin, and then the bin for other stuff.......so 3 bins in all! I was so impressed with this when we arrived!

Old Nov 9th 2004, 2:48 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
We are lucky here and have a huge wheely bin that is just for recyclable stuff. We also have a garden and compost bin, and then the bin for other stuff.......so 3 bins in all! I was so impressed with this when we arrived!
We have one of the wheely bins for recyclables, collected fortnightly, and one for general waste collected weekly.

Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:00 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
We have one of the wheely bins for recyclables, collected fortnightly, and one for general waste collected weekly.

Yep, we have that too. We also have what Larissa is talking about (somewhere near Nudgee I think) where they weigh you in and out - you get tokens every so often which count as payment, so as longs you dont go every weekend and dump lots of stuff its pretty much free
Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Yep, we have this too, and the local refuse dump is free too, if you can prove local residency!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:45 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

when I lived south side , renting, we were given tokens ( by the landlord who had them off the council for his property) which allowed us to go to a dump twice for free. and a certain weight for free, only two tokens .. after that you had to pay to use the dump.
Dumps are not free in many parts, and your vehicle is weighed and charged accordingly , south side area, cannon hill area and surrounds etc etc was one of them, which fell into the Brisbane council district.
Pine rivers council dumps are free, you just need to prove you are a pineshire resident, like a rates bill etc. Different councils, different rules. Not all councils give free dumps to it's residents.

wheelie bins everyone has them .. shoot me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen a council that didn't give you a recycle wheelie bin (" give" .. lol , you pay for them in your rates.. I haven't got a rate bill on me , I think it was $120 on my last rate bill for the two rubbish bins - nothing is for free )
Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:50 am
rudo1ph

We have something called "council clean-up" twice a year. You get to put all your "big" rubbish on your front lawn and the council come and take it away for free.

It's great fun.......you get to go scavenging around for all the things your neighbours don't want!! I got all the wood I needed for my hubby to build the Guinea Pig cage

Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:03 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have a wheelie bin for recycling, but a big black box thing(annoying to carry out to the street! ) You can have 2(get them 'free' from council). One for glass, plastic, cans. The other for newspaper. I just pile the newspaper in a box.
They come to collect them fortnightly (normal bin weekly).

They come to collect garden rubbish every so often. ANd big rubbish to I think.
Nowwhere to leave kitchen greens etc, unless you have your own compost bin.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 5:35 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ceri
wheelie bins everyone has them .. shoot me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen a council that didn't give you a recycle wheelie bin (" give" .. lol , you pay for them in your rates.. I haven't got a rate bill on me , I think it was $120 on my last rate bill for the two rubbish bins - nothing is for free )
Down in Penrith, Sydney we get charged $226.20 per year for just one extra bin. We needed it as we have a dual occupancy place there, and we can't have the two tenants sharing one bin.

In that area the council will do 4 free requested kerbside collections per year, of about a trailer load of rubbish.

Here in the Redlands, its the same as Kath'n'kim "the local refuse dump is free too, if you can prove local residency"