Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recruitment process in Sydney

Recruitment process in Sydney

Old May 22nd 2010, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recruitment process in Sydney

My husband and I are arriving in Sydney on Tuesday next week. This is officially our validation trip, but we decided to check out the job markets whilst we are over and may bring forward a permanent moving date if things look positive. I know that sounds a bit unstructured and unplanned but it is just the two of us, so works for us.

Anyway so far we are finding things ok, we have both had one telephone interview and my husband has had to write a paper on something or other and now we both have face to face interviews lined up for next week.

So I was just wondering, how long does the interview process typically take.

In London, it can drag on for weeks and weeks with second and third rounds of interviews, which obviously we wouldn't be able to complete, well I could but husband needs to come home. We are both speaking to multinationals.
Old May 22nd 2010, 11:53 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruitment process in Sydney

Have no idea on the process. Just wanted to wish you good luck!
Old May 22nd 2010, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t know how relevant it is to you (but thought its close enough to an accountant) my mate applied for a job as an Auditor with Deloitte, he had a job within a month of applying (think it was a phone and two face to face interviews), he said that was very fast than expected.

I’ve worked for a large bank in Sydney and my recruitment process took about 6 weeks (that was several years ago). When I was then doing recruiting for them, it ranged... entry level staff we would see on the Friday and have them sitting at a desk by Monday, when we were recruiting team leaders or managers it was usually 4 to 6 week process, higher up I don’t know as I didn’t interview on those ones.

For APS (Government Jobs) it’s about a 3 – 6 month process, lol.

No idea how helpful that is to you, but good luck anyway.
Old May 22nd 2010, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Canadaeh

Thank you, that was just the kind of general idea I was trying to get and we both work in financial services too so particularly relevant. I wish you hadn't said it 4-6 weeks is typical though, I was hoping for quicker.

I think Mr Bermudashorts might be ok as he is in a very niche area, can't see that there would be a lot of candidates to work through and he has already written a technical paper for them and had a phone interview with HR and line managers. Could be longer for me though.

Anyhoo it is good to have an idea.

Cheers Sass, we are crossing fingers too.
Old May 22nd 2010, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I wish you hadn't said it 4-6 weeks is typical though, I was hoping for quicker.
Oh don’t take that as the rule. I’m sure there are many that are much quicker, the reason most of the ones I seen took around the 4 week mark were usually because of having to give notice to current employers/be available for interviewing etc and I assume neither of you will have that problem.

Things happen quick in Sydney.

I’m not sure how you are planning to look for work (direct to employers or via recruitment agency).

Normally I’d stay clear of a lot of agencies, but one that I would recommend for Finance and Accounting positions is Robert Half, here is their site:

http://www.roberthalf.com.au/

Good Luck.
Old May 22nd 2010, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Oh don’t take that as the rule. I’m sure there are many that are much quicker, the reason most of the ones I seen took around the 4 week mark were usually because of having to give notice to current employers/be available for interviewing etc and I assume neither of you will have that problem.

Things happen quick in Sydney.

I’m not sure how you are planning to look for work (direct to employers or via recruitment agency).

Normally I’d stay clear of a lot of agencies, but one that I would recommend for Finance and Accounting positions is Robert Half, here is their site:

http://www.roberthalf.com.au/

Good Luck.

No no, not taking it as a rule, just want to get an idea that is all, I know there is no rule. I am in touch with a couple of agencies, can't remember which at minute but I think RH may be one. One of the jobs I got an interview for was one I applied to directly via seek.
Old May 23rd 2010, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Hi Canadaeh

Thank you, that was just the kind of general idea I was trying to get and we both work in financial services too so particularly relevant. I wish you hadn't said it 4-6 weeks is typical though, I was hoping for quicker.

I think Mr Bermudashorts might be ok as he is in a very niche area, can't see that there would be a lot of candidates to work through and he has already written a technical paper for them and had a phone interview with HR and line managers. Could be longer for me though.

Anyhoo it is good to have an idea.

Cheers Sass, we are crossing fingers too.
I work in Financial Services too, my first job here took 2 months, the last job took less than a fortnight!