Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recruitment companies..can they do this?

Recruitment companies..can they do this?

Old Oct 18th 2008, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough
Angry Recruitment companies..can they do this?

hi, wonder if anyone can help me on this one.

I've been employed for 3 weeks now in Yatala as a casual boilermaker, through a recruitment company. I was started on $30/hr with penalties, which seemed a decent rate. However, yesterday a note was left with my clock card saying that they were dropping my rate to $28/hr from next week!!:curse:
The letter says I have 3 options
1.take the pay cut
2.move to another recruiter but not working for the same company
3.leave

Can this f*****g w****r do this?
Are there any employment laws which cover this bearing in mind I'm on casual?

I know what the laws were in the UK as OH was quality manager for a big recruitment firm back there but obviously we are here now.

Thanks for any help

Trev
Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruitment companies..can they do this?

Originally Posted by trevamather
hi, wonder if anyone can help me on this one.

I've been employed for 3 weeks now in Yatala as a casual boilermaker, through a recruitment company. I was started on $30/hr with penalties, which seemed a decent rate. However, yesterday a note was left with my clock card saying that they were dropping my rate to $28/hr from next week!!:curse:
The letter says I have 3 options
1.take the pay cut
2.move to another recruiter but not working for the same company
3.leave

Can this f*****g w****r do this?
Are there any employment laws which cover this bearing in mind I'm on casual?

I know what the laws were in the UK as OH was quality manager for a big recruitment firm back there but obviously we are here now.

Thanks for any help

Trev
They can do most things here even on permanent contracts, and if you're casual generally you don't have a leg to stand on I'm afraid.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:58 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they can. What's even more frustrating is mr KRudd said he'd stop al this crap:curse: Seems it's another one of his carpet salesman tactics
Old Oct 18th 2008, 5:00 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Yes they can. What's even more frustrating is mr KRudd said he'd stop al this crap:curse: Seems it's another one of his carpet salesman tactics
Like you more and more!

OP- yes they can and unfortunately you can't expect any better from the unscrupulous bxstards.... (well you can expect it but getting it is a different matter).
Old Oct 18th 2008, 6:50 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Like you more and more!

OP- yes they can and unfortunately you can't expect any better from the unscrupulous bxstards.... (well you can expect it but getting it is a different matter).
I like you beterer

To the OP; keep your chin up and play the game. Provide no loyalty and leave once you get a better paid job.

The laughable thing is, it costs business more to re advertise, re-recruit and re-train .....in reality they gain in pennies and lose in loyalty. Then they wonder why people take all their time off sick and can't be bothered to turn up half the time. They just don't seem to *get* it
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:05 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Casual workers really get the bum deal here...

KOH was given 30mins notice yesterday that hes been finished...sh1t as the boss head hunted him from another company (more money more programming etc etc)

You dont have much in the way of rights here...same as temps/casuals in the UK.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

What's the difference between here and the UK? I've been an IT contractor for years and they can generally terminate, reduce rates etc whenever they want. Quite common for banks in the City to tell all contractors they are reducing rates by 20% and if they don't like it they can leave.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I would say the main difference is that people seem to be put on casual contracts as a standard here rather than perminant contracts, but for long term jobs.
Certainly hubbie has been on a casual contract for 6 months in a job that the equivalent of in the UK would only take perminant staff.
I have also been working 6 months in a job which having done at a few places in the UK I have only ever seen casual staff used for filling in when people are sick.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:16 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, if I could afford to, I'd just leave with my pay packet and explain to the company that you were working for that this is what they've told you.

Show them the letter... I bet that the agency haven't dropped their charges to the company for your skills! Stir up the proverbial.... it might even get you a permanent job out of them... as has been said, they can all do pretty much as they please, so take advantage...

Just my opinion but it really stinks, and my aim would be to lose the agency the gig!

Ali
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:18 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone has misinterpreted the definition of a recruitment company versus a labour hire company. By my guess you have contracted through a labour hire company, which deals mainly in casual labour hire, rather than a recruitment company that prepares job advertisements, collects the application information and then screens applicants for an emplyer. The labour hire company usually absorbs all employee costs like super, workcover etc, etc, and the hirer just pays them a flat rate. Recruitement agencies have nothing at all usually to do with payments to employees.

Last edited by The Bloke; Oct 19th 2008 at 6:21 am.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:28 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=alipally;6888828]Personally, if I could afford to, I'd just leave with my pay packet and explain to the company that you were working for that this is what they've told you.

Originally Posted by alipally
Show them the letter... I bet that the agency haven't dropped their charges to the company for your skills! Stir up the proverbial.... it might even get you a permanent job out of them... as has been said, they can all do pretty much as they please, so take advantage...

Just my opinion but it really stinks, and my aim would be to lose the agency the gig!

Ali
Under the current laws, it does, but until the law is changed, the employee is at their mercy.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
If the Government passed the laws changing the legislation, it still has to pass through the Senate to become law, and with the Opposition having defacto control of the Senate, through 1 or 2 "independents" and Bob Browns (Greens Party), even simple monetry legislation has had a difficult time getting through. Many Bills that have been sent to the this year have been sent back to the House of Reps to be rewritten or watered down.