Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recruitment agenies not replying

Wikiposts

Recruitment agenies not replying

Old Jul 26th 2006, 6:43 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recruitment agenies not replying

Hi

We are hoping to be out in Australia (Brisbane) in about 6 weeks so I have started emailing recruitment agencies with my husbands CV (I have finished work now as I am a teacher and he is still at work) but I am getting no reply.

I was wondering if anyone had any contacts or experience with agencies, do they check their email?!!!

He is a maintenance fitter/supervisor in a quary at the moment so we are looking on Seek and emailing the agencies with suitable positions. I think I have emailed Hays and Adecco and constructive recruitment.

IF anyone has any contacts or words of wisdom they would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:04 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruitment agenies not replying

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi

We are hoping to be out in Australia (Brisbane) in about 6 weeks so I have started emailing recruitment agencies with my husbands CV (I have finished work now as I am a teacher and he is still at work) but I am getting no reply.

I was wondering if anyone had any contacts or experience with agencies, do they check their email?!!!

He is a maintenance fitter/supervisor in a quary at the moment so we are looking on Seek and emailing the agencies with suitable positions. I think I have emailed Hays and Adecco and constructive recruitment.

IF anyone has any contacts or words of wisdom they would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Bascially dont waste your time until you get here, your unlikely to make much progress from overseas.
Most decent agency's will have agreements with their clients that they will only present people for roles whom they have actually interviewed in person themselves, this cant happen if your on the other side of the planet.
Recruitment is all about now, not 6 weeks time unfortunately. Think about it from there perspective, they will get hundreds of overseas applicants each week, they simply are to busy to wade through them and respond. You will stand a much better chance when you are physically here and are able to say I can start tomorrow.
You could try phoning some of them if you really wanted to, its a lot harder to ignore a phone call than an email, but im not sure you'll get much further than maybe being asked to make contact once you arrived here.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but bar a few exceptions I havent heard of many people achieve anything other than frustration through trying to do anything before arriving here.
Steve
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:18 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I think you are right, I think I have just started to worry about jobs and seeing as I am home I thought I would be proactive. Oh well, lots of other things I can be doing.

Thanks again
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:48 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi

Thanks
They work on a current week basis and dont want to waste the clients or their own time.

Suggest you send an email including dates and times of arrivals with request for initial meeting (specify a date and time). Then call them up and talk to the person you emailed. The email alone will not be actioned - once you have a chat keep some weekly dialogue going (so they are reminded of who you are and that you are on the way).

Dont expect too much from them until you or your hubby has completed at least one form of employment locally. Dont take it personally its just the way of the world.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I agree with all the other replies, don't waste your time until your here.

One thing to remember recruitment consultants are only 1 up in the food chain from estate agents somewhere between solicitors and car salesmen .

Even when you are here don't expect too much, my Wife saw loads of them and they all promise the earth. As far as I remember only 1 ever came up with a job and that was on a part time basis.

I don't want to put you off just being truthful on the other hand I got my job 2 weeks after getting here from an agency I had contact with in the UK so it does work out well sometimes.

Anyway good luck.

John
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
Bascially dont waste your time until you get here, your unlikely to make much progress from overseas.
Most decent agency's will have agreements with their clients that they will only present people for roles whom they have actually interviewed in person themselves, this cant happen if your on the other side of the planet.
Recruitment is all about now, not 6 weeks time unfortunately. Think about it from there perspective, they will get hundreds of overseas applicants each week, they simply are to busy to wade through them and respond. You will stand a much better chance when you are physically here and are able to say I can start tomorrow.
You could try phoning some of them if you really wanted to, its a lot harder to ignore a phone call than an email, but im not sure you'll get much further than maybe being asked to make contact once you arrived here.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but bar a few exceptions I havent heard of many people achieve anything other than frustration through trying to do anything before arriving here.
Steve

Good post Steve,

That is exactly what I was going to suggest but you saved me the trouble.

Tony