Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recruitment Agencies in oil & gas sector in WA

Recruitment Agencies in oil & gas sector in WA

Old Jul 29th 2009, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all
Default Recruitment Agencies in oil & gas sector in WA

I made job applications on the Seek website and one recruitment agency came back to me and say my application was unsuccessful because I don't have local experience, ie Australian working experience.

Therefore, I am trying to find out whether other job applicants from the UK and elsewhere are having the same problems.

I am applying for positions in the oil and gas sector.

I don't understand. Engineering consultants and contractors were shouting about skill shortage, the Department of Immigration developed the CSL, and now, I got this answer saying no local experience, no need to apply.

Is it because migrants are not welcomed, or is it because Australian job for Australian workers?

Is there any good agencies out there in the oil and gas sector?

Some people may be suggesting to bypass the agencies, but the trouble is almost all companies employ agencies to get candidates.

Any suggestions and opinions?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of
Default Re: Recruitment Agencies in oil & gas sector in WA

Originally Posted by kaungchiau
I made job applications on the Seek website and one recruitment agency came back to me and say my application was unsuccessful because I don't have local experience, ie Australian working experience.

Therefore, I am trying to find out whether other job applicants from the UK and elsewhere are having the same problems.

I am applying for positions in the oil and gas sector.

I don't understand. Engineering consultants and contractors were shouting about skill shortage, the Department of Immigration developed the CSL, and now, I got this answer saying no local experience, no need to apply.

Is it because migrants are not welcomed, or is it because Australian job for Australian workers?

Is there any good agencies out there in the oil and gas sector?

Some people may be suggesting to bypass the agencies, but the trouble is almost all companies employ agencies to get candidates.

Any suggestions and opinions?
I did not notice if you are in the UK at present or are already in OZ, my experience is that not many companies will employ you unless you are in Australia, I tried to apply for jobs while still in the Uk and had no luck.

When I arrived I paid a visit to HAYS and TAD, who seemed to advertise most of the Oil and Gas industry jobs, then took any job going for two months to get myself an Australian history. I finally gained empolyment with Santos on a casual basis, and through working with them I found out about a permanent position with Caltex. I have been there for 18 months now.

Good Luck

Bobby
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:10 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kaungchiau
Were shouting about skills shortage but that was before the global financial crisis. Engineering has fallen on tough times of late.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

It's because of the slowdown. In Perth especially over the last few years a lot of people moved to work on the back of the mining/LNG boom, and there are many very large engineering firms here. Now the contracts are drying up the companies are pooling their employees and sitting a lot of contractors at home until work comes in. This makes it very hard for new comers as they have to get ahead of someone already on the books with experience working for that particular company. Don't dispair though, there are several large projects especially in the oil & gas sector kicking off and money is flowing back in to finance others. For agencies i'd try Hays or Titan recruitment, but it you would be better off going direct as companies would rather not pay an agent if they can.

Big firms in Perth to email HR dept's etc are WorleyParsons, KBR, Fluor, Lycopodium, SKM, GHD, Chevron, Transfield, Hatch, Clough, Calibre off the top of my head
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all

Thanks for the hints. Yes, I am applying for London, will not actually get to Perth until 6 September.

I also have a suspicion that many positions posted by agencies on Seek website do not exist.

Am I wrong?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

you would be correct on the seek issue, they do that to get CV's and tout them round companies in perth....need to be here really

good luck