Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Record Youth Un/Underemployment Now 31.6%

Record Youth Un/Underemployment Now 31.6%

Old Dec 19th 2014, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Record Youth Un/Underemployment Now 31.6%

Australian Bureau of Statics graphs have shown the continued and worsen underutilisation amongst those 15 to 24 years of age in Australia with the latest November figures placing 31.6% of youth underemployed. About half that number are without work.

That is the highest on modern record passing the early 90's recession.

Certainly not the time to deny access to the dole to those under thirty for six months nor time to deregulate access to 457's temp skilled visa holders allowing easier aces to country.

Stephen Waitey, of SP Morgon (chief economist) said at 6.3% overall unemployment registered 15,000 new jobs a month are needed to address issues there which is not forthcoming.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 8:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Record Youth Un/Underemployment Now 31.6%

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Australian Bureau of Statics graphs have shown the continued and worsen underutilisation amongst those 15 to 24 years of age in Australia with the latest November figures placing 31.6% of youth underemployed. About half that number are without work.

Certainly not the time to deny access to the dole to those under thirty for six months nor time to deregulate access to 457's temp skilled visa holders allowing easier aces to country.

Stephen Waitey, of SP Morgon (chief economist) said at 6.3% overall unemployment registered 15,000 new jobs a month are needed to address issues there which is not forthcoming.
Make the little f**k join the army

Everyone's a winner
Old Dec 19th 2014, 11:32 am
Banned

havingalook is an unknown quantity at this point

Not necessarily what I want to read in the circumstances.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in a supermarket stacking shelves from 17-23. At 21 I got a job in my profession as a trainee, continued studying, but still carried on stacking shelves at night to make some extra cash.

Do the youth of today not have the same opportunities?

Do these
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:22 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

the problem is we have a young generation not exposed to recession and how hard life is.

imo they're not trying harder and maybe the dole will make them complacent even more.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has been trying to get a job over the Christmas period, and leading to part time whilst at uni. They all say she has no experience and that is what they want, so it is a catch 22 situation. She has an interview at last, at Macdonald's today. This is after going round all the local shopping centres for the last 2 months, applying online for anything going and having one trial which turned out to be an unscrupulous shop owner taking advantage of students to get unpaid work out of them.

So they are not all lazy like some people seem to think.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
My daughter has been trying to get a job over the Christmas period, and leading to part time whilst at uni. They all say she has no experience and that is what they want, so it is a catch 22 situation. She has an interview at last, at Macdonald's today. This is after going round all the local shopping centres for the last 2 months, applying online for anything going and having one trial which turned out to be an unscrupulous shop owner taking advantage of students to get unpaid work out of them.

I wonder if she is included in those unemployment stats?
Old Dec 20th 2014, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
the problem is we have a young generation not exposed to recession and how hard life is.

imo they're not trying harder and maybe the dole will make them complacent even more.

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

Socrates

= Your getting old Commonwealth

Besides that, typical liberal/conservative policy, make a full generation of youth fight for work to force future wages and conditions down.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips

Yep plenty of good kids out there.

All mine got jobs at 15, it wasnt too bad at all because they are cheap at that age if were being truthful, thats why they want them then. Apart from the one who worked in hardware it was easy, 4 part interview process to push trolleys. They all worked from then on.

Youngest is in Chicken frying he actually loves the job, the people he works with are fantastic but they dont hire new kids past 18, wages go up....

He just turned 18 has worked his gap year, saved half his uni fees ( if they save half they work harder at it !! ) so Emergency Medicine, paramedic at Uni BUT I wonder how he will find part time work in Melbourne. For a start by third month of UNI they are on placements, employers would love that ...

Such fun
Old Dec 20th 2014, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I wonder if she is included in those unemployment stats?
No, because she is classed as a full time uni student.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say Australia's youth as been largely sold down the swanny and hardly fair to blame them as a collective.

Lets look at the facts. There are now roughly equal numbers of WHV's entering the country as there are school leavers. Pretty much in direct competition in ordinary type jobs I'd say.

457's will not avail employers to train home grown talent when can get others from abroad at no cost to them. Besides the beauty if not making the grade to send back.
Pretty much makes for a compliant work force.
On top of that look at the ever number of jobs disappearing or will be redundant do to ever advancing technology.
There is not the volume of meaningful work available anymore. Too much so called education, conveyor education I call it , but no matter, with too few to be of much use to do anything but gain basic entry. It would appear a degree is basic requirements these days for positions in the past would have learnt on site.

The world has radically changed and very debateable who the beneficiaries of the brave new world will be but something tells me it won't be the people in general.
I think this generation of under 25's have it tough. High educational costs, housing blowouts in prices that many will never be able, without great sacrifice to afford, a less than caring society with declining empathy .

Perhaps we need a change of thinking and challenge to core beliefs? Certainly a change in how economists and bean counters are wielding such influence in how society is being run. Also need governments to actually govern and not just administer for vested interests ever influenced by populist votes and opinion polls and work on behalf of all people.

Could a mod please correct the spelling Recod to Record please? Many thanks.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Make the little f**k join the army

Everyone's a winner
Doubt the army would see it that way. A reason many in position in uniform have not been in favour of National Service.

Better creating the environment where one can reasonably expect to get a job or training that will enable that job and not just a band aid remedy.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd say Australia's youth as been largely sold down the swanny and hardly fair to blame them as a collective.

Lets look at the facts. There are now roughly equal numbers of WHV's entering the country as there are school leavers. Pretty much in direct competition in ordinary type jobs I'd say.

457's will not avail employers to train home grown talent when can get others from abroad at no cost to them. Besides the beauty if not making the grade to send back.
Pretty much makes for a compliant work force.
On top of that look at the ever number of jobs disappearing or will be redundant do to ever advancing technology.
There is not the volume of meaningful work available anymore. Too much so called education, conveyor education I call it , but no matter, with too few to be of much use to do anything but gain basic entry. It would appear a degree is basic requirements these days for positions in the past would have learnt on site.

The world has radically changed and very debateable who the beneficiaries of the brave new world will be but something tells me it won't be the people in general.
I think this generation of under 25's have it tough. High educational costs, housing blowouts in prices that many will never be able, without great sacrifice to afford, a less than caring society with declining empathy .

Perhaps we need a change of thinking and challenge to core beliefs? Certainly a change in how economists and bean counters are wielding such influence in how society is being run. Also need governments to actually govern and not just administer for vested interests ever influenced by populist votes and opinion polls and work on behalf of all people.

Could a mod please correct the spelling Recod to Record please? Many thanks.
I don't see how any of this is any different to 20 years ago. A house was not that affordable to an under 25 year old back then. Securing and keeping a job took effort too.

I still don't own a property but I'm not going around blaming goverments or the like. I only have myself to blame.

I'm not really sure I get the point of your thread.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SHE GOT THE JOB!!!:lol:
Old Dec 20th 2014, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It isn't the same. Housing has never been so out of reach to Australians as at present. And yes I know what interest where twenty five or so years ago and I also know the multiples times house cost where.. Far more affordable. The point of the thread is the underline the severe youth unemployment/underemployment in Australia, a case of stating the bleeding obvious I'd have thought from the title, a fact few abroad are likely made aware off, together with other factors impacting on the young housing being a pretty important and obvious one.
A little research may show most new buys are too speculators and First Home Buyers have never been so low on the ground.

Little like twenty five years ago as mentioned youth un/underemployment higher than that recession and the world was not in the situation it presently finds itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.