Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Record 50,000 Migrants Enter Perth

A Record 50,000 Migrants Enter Perth

Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default A Record 50,000 Migrants Enter Perth

12 months figure, heard on the radio today.

Does anyone know the percentage split of which countries these people came from?
Old Jun 6th 2008, 3:53 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Record 50,000 Migrants Enter Perth

Originally Posted by Bazza Boy

Does anyone know the percentage split of which countries these people came from?
Pure guess work but 10,000 poms, 10,000 kiwis, 5,000 safas, 10,000 interstate and a whole lot of others. I very rarely get in a taxi and find it driven by someone from the same country twice - but then taxi drivers are far from representative.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bazza Boy

http://www.settlement.immi.gov.au/se...electReport.do and tick what you want to find out

the top 10 countries for WA in 2007 are:
United Kingdom 5,587 (37.2%)
South Africa 961 (6.4%)
India 849 (5.7%)
China (exc Taiwan and SARs) 667 (4.4%)
Malaysia 503 (3.4%)
Indonesia 385 (2.6%)
Thailand 380 (2.5%)
Philippines 360 (2.4%)
Singapore 354 (2.4%)
Burma (Myanmar) 292 (1.9%)
Others 4,672 (31.1%)

total 15,010 (100%)

Last edited by Evelin; Jun 8th 2008 at 12:41 am.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 5:24 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

....and 52,000 leave......

[it's a joke!]
Old Jun 8th 2008, 5:27 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
....and 52,000 leave......

[it's a joke!]

, yes but true
Old Jun 8th 2008, 5:35 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
, yes but true
....stop it....you'll get me inti trouble!
Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:16 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
http://www.settlement.immi.gov.au/se...electReport.do and tick what you want to find out

South Africa 961 (6.4%)
India 849 (5.7%)
Malaysia 503 (3.4%)
Indonesia 385 (2.6%)
Thailand 380 (2.5%)
Philippines 360 (2.4%)
Singapore 354 (2.4%)
Others 4,672 (31.1%)

total 15,010 (100%)
Something isn't quite right there - no mention of NZ which I heard on the radio recently was the most common origin for WA migration, just shading the UK. Probably because they have a right to work here rather than needing to apply for a visa (is that still the case?). 15000 in one set of stats vs 50000 in another so definitely not comparing apples with apples.

Anyway, Add about 6000 kiwis into those sums and you get about 20% each for NZ and UK which is what I thought. I over-estimated the number of safas though, it just seems like there are more of them
Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by worzel
Something isn't quite right there - no mention of NZ which I heard on the radio recently was the most common origin for WA migration, just shading the UK. Probably because they have a right to work here rather than needing to apply for a visa (is that still the case?). 15000 in one set of stats vs 50000 in another so definitely not comparing apples with apples.

Anyway, Add about 6000 kiwis into those sums and you get about 20% each for NZ and UK which is what I thought. I over-estimated the number of safas though, it just seems like there are more of them
the numbers from the stats are only permanent migrants, doesn't include 457 visa holder neither New Zealanders or interstate. I believe 50,000 is about right because of the large influx of temp workers and their families.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 12:24 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: A Record 50,000 Migrants Enter Perth

Originally Posted by Evelin

South Africa 961 (6.4%)
India 849 (5.7%)
Malaysia 503 (3.4%)
Indonesia 385 (2.6%)
Thailand 380 (2.5%)
Philippines 360 (2.4%)
Singapore 354 (2.4%)
Others 4,672 (31.1%)

total 15,010 (100%)
The relentless flood of Poms continues unabated, I see.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
The relentless flood of Poms continues unabated, I see.
Australian immigration figures are a deliberate lie.

Those figures are just for Settler Arrivals. Its does not include Onshore Permanent Residency Grants - which for every 100 Settler Arrivals about another 50 are part of the Onshore programme.

In reality permanent immigration into Australia is about 50% higher than quoted, as well as not factoring all of the temporary arrivals.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Australian immigration figures are a deliberate lie.

Those figures are just for Settler Arrivals. Its does not include Onshore Permanent Residency Grants - which for every 100 Settler Arrivals about another 50 are part of the Onshore programme.

In reality permanent immigration into Australia is about 50% higher than quoted, as well as not factoring all of the temporary arrivals.
if you would make the effort and go through my link http://www.settlement.immi.gov.au/se...electReport.do you would see that the numbers I quoted include Onshore Permanent Residency Grants. My stats as I wrote before refer to perm visa grants, all sorts of them.

The big influx comes from temp visa holders, eg 457.