British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Recommended doctors around Woy Woy Peninsula area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/recommended-doctors-around-woy-woy-peninsula-area-745243/)

ohagas Jan 17th 2012 2:40 am

Recommended doctors around Woy Woy Peninsula area

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good doctor to register with in the area?

ohagas Jan 19th 2012 10:21 pm

Re: Recommended doctors around Woy Woy Peninsula area

Surely some of the Central Coasties can help me out :fingerscrossed:

Looking for a good doctor in Umina/Woy Woy/Ettalong?
Thanks

harrip Jan 19th 2012 10:48 pm

i'm a bit further north, but Terrigal and Wamberal medical centres have always served me well.

stevemich Jan 19th 2012 10:57 pm

I'm Narara, so cant help I'm afraid :(

billiejoe87 Jan 24th 2012 11:19 am

Originally Posted by ohagas (Post 9853354)
Surely some of the Central Coasties can help me out :fingerscrossed:

Looking for a good doctor in Umina/Woy Woy/Ettalong?
Thanks

I'm from Woy Woy. There are some great doctors here, some not so great. You will be severley limited in the area on the doctors you can see as most on the Peninsula have "closed there books" and no longer take new patients. A sad fact for the area being full of retirees.

I know of two surgeries which take new patients here. One in the clocktower at Woy Woy and one near the Mantra in Ettalong. In my experience Dr. Paula Kavilieros (I think that's how it's spelt) at the Woy Woy medical centre in the clocktower building is great. She is very good with kids too, and seems generally interested in doing whatever she can for the patient. Dr. Louise King is also thorough but a bit too straight to the point and not very friendly from when I've seen her in the same practice in Woy Woy. There are 1 or 2 terrible doctors in there as well though, you'll notice them pretty quickly as they always have free appointments. Sometimes I can see Dr. Paula the same day, but usually have to wait the next day, she is very popular there.

Just keep in mind, you are better getting on the books at Woy Woy Medical for something minor. If you've never been before, you will need to go on a waiting list for a few days as they only take new patients every so often, so best not to leave it till you are really sick and in need. Otherwise like me you will be off to Wyoming medical the first time.

The less said about the Ettalong doctor surgery the better. It's named by the two doctors (A couple) who both work there. No patients, no eftpos, no bulk billing whatsoever, general rudeness from at least one of the doctors and a very uninviting surgery, doesn't make for a nice experience. I have friends that live two houses away and wont even go there. They didn't even know it was a doctors surgery, just looks like an abandoned building!:ohmy:

billiejoe87 Jan 24th 2012 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by billiejoe87 (Post 9861891)
I'm from Woy Woy. There are some great doctors here, some not so great. You will be severley limited in the area on the doctors you can see as most on the Peninsula have "closed there books" and no longer take new patients. A sad fact for the area being full of retirees.

I know of two surgeries which take new patients here. One in the clocktower at Woy Woy and one near the Mantra in Ettalong. In my experience Dr. Paula Kavilieros (I think that's how it's spelt) at the Woy Woy medical centre in the clocktower building is great. She is very good with kids too, and seems generally interested in doing whatever she can for the patient. Dr. Louise King is also thorough but a bit too straight to the point and not very friendly from when I've seen her in the same practice in Woy Woy. There are 1 or 2 terrible doctors in there as well though, you'll notice them pretty quickly as they always have free appointments. Sometimes I can see Dr. Paula the same day, but usually have to wait the next day, she is very popular there.

Just keep in mind, you are better getting on the books at Woy Woy Medical for something minor. If you've never been before, you will need to go on a waiting list for a few days as they only take new patients every so often, so best not to leave it till you are really sick and in need. Otherwise like me you will be off to Wyoming medical the first time.

The less said about the Ettalong doctor surgery the better. It's named by the two doctors (A couple) who both work there. No patients, no eftpos, no bulk billing whatsoever, general rudeness from at least one of the doctors and a very uninviting surgery, doesn't make for a nice experience. I have friends that live two houses away and wont even go there. They didn't even know it was a doctors surgery, just looks like an abandoned building!:ohmy:

Someone edited my post to delete the name of the Ettalong surgery I was referring to as being substandard above. It actually is only named after the doctors that work there, so I don't see how it is "defaming" anyone. <snip>

ohagas Jan 29th 2012 11:46 pm

Thank very much billiejoe, that definitely helps. I have heard about doctors having 'closed their books' - I wasn't able to register my daughter in Umina Medical for this reason. Not very helpful.
May need to give Paula a ring.
Cheers
Sean

moneypenny20 Jan 30th 2012 12:00 am

Originally Posted by billiejoe87 (Post 9863152)
Someone edited my post to delete the name of the Ettalong surgery I was referring to as being substandard above. It actually is only named after the doctors that work there, so I don't see how it is "defaming" anyone. <snip>

Not enough space on the edit box to explain fully so...... by naming them and telling people not to use them can be classed as defamatory so I've had to remove it. If someone asks you privately who they are, you are obviously able to tell them, just not on public forum. Any editing by Mods or Admin, automatically shows up at the bottom of the post, whether or not they give a reason - unlikely that a reason wouldn't be given in these circumstances.

Anyway, useful info for anyone moving to that area so thanks. :)