British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Recommended Consultants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/recommended-consultants-106018/)

colin.helen Dec 19th 2001 7:01 pm

Hi Everyone

My wife and I want to apply for PR in Australia under the skilled migration (IT) category.

We've already spoken to one company, but are not entirely satisfied with their service so far (ie returning calls, not being informed etc).

Can anyone recommend a suitable company from which they have had/are having a good service. Also, if possible, roughly how much will it cost?

Thanks in advance.

Colin and Helen

Alan Collett Dec 19th 2001 9:36 pm

Hi Colin and Helen.

It's shameless self-promotion time again: mail me directly if you'd like an
indication of costs, or register at: http://www.gomatilda.com/register.cfm and I'll
be happy to call you to discuss your situation.

Best regards.

Alan Collett alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com Member of the Migration Institute of
Australia, Number 1230 Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534 and a Fellow of the
Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales Managing Director - The Go
Matilda Trading Company Limited W www.gomatilda.com Offices at Enterprise House,
Ocean Village, Southampton, Hampshire, England, SO14 3XB. - T +44 (0)2380 488777, and
Level 5, 11 Queens Road, Melbourne, VIC 3004, Australia - T +61 (0)3 8530 7030 "There
are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going"

colin.helen Hi Everyone

My wife and I want to apply for PR in Australia under the skilled migration
(IT) category.

We've already spoken to one company, but are not entirely satisfied with their
service so far (ie returning calls, not being informed etc).

Can anyone recommend a suitable company from which they have had/are having a good
service. Also, if possible, roughly how much will it cost?

Thanks in advance.

Colin and Helen

--

Guy Fawkes Dec 20th 2001 10:01 pm

He's having a laugh at my pseudonym, but honestly, I can suggest George Lombard. I
almost used another bunch, then found this newsgroup and his many postings. I've had
a rough ride over the last 10 months or so due to some perculiarities and
complexities with our application, but a helpful email has always ensued swiftly
after another question from me. The time difference with Aus, isn't too much of an
issue either.

You'll also save a packet not using a UK based agent.

Cost - depends on where you are. You'll probably need ACS (if you don't have BCS
membership) approval first & then the main application. About £1000 or thereabouts
for both if I remember correctly, but loads more in time spent and digging around for
the right documentation.

Hope this helps!

Regards ...

"Guy"

On 19 Dec 2001 15:20:23 -0500, colin.helen <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

colin.helen Dec 28th 2001 12:55 pm

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion and information regarding ACS/BCS. I'm currently waiting to hear back from BCS, hopefully to receive Associate Membership - so hopefully that should help me.

Once again, thank you.

Colin and Helen Armstrong.

Steveg Dec 28th 2001 7:40 pm

Hi Colin and Helen,

We're using a registered attorney in Sydney, Mark Webster, from the firm, Higgins and
Webster. We're very pleased with the service we are receiving. He always returns
emails, and is there when you call him. Their web site has rates: URL:
http://www.hwmigration.com email: [email protected] phone: 612-9230-0000

Whoever you choose, please keep in mind the following paragraphs from the DIMA
"General Skilled Migration" handbook. In the opening page:

(beginning of quote)

Use of a migration agent You are not required by law to use a migration agent to
assist with your application. However, in the event that you may wish to seek help, a
list of registered migration agents is available from offices of the Department of
Immigration and Multicultural Affairs or the Migration Institute of Australia, Under
law a person providing immigration assistance in Australia must be registered.

Migration agents may charge you for providing help with your application.

Some registered agents also operate in countries outside of Australia. For further
information about the Migration Agents Registration Scheme you can contact the
Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA), at PO Box K366, Haymarket, NSW, 1240
or visit their web site at www.mia.aust.com. The MARA can also provide a list of
registered agents operating in your country.

Registered migration agents are bound by the Code of Conduct. If you have a problem
with a registered migration agent, you can contact the MARA to assist you. If you use
an unregistered migration agent, this avenue is not available to you. If you intend
to use an agent you are advised to use a registered migration agent.

(end of quote)

This seems to spell out pretty plainly that a registered migration agent would only
get one chance to make off with someones money without performing any services. I
would highly recommend that whichever migration agent (attorney) you use, be
absolutly certain they are registered with MARA and check on their current status.

Also don't pick the first attorney that returns your calls, some personalities
get along, others don't. Find one that your personality matches up with. I talked
with and exchanged emails with four different attorneys before I settled on
Higgins and Webster.

I hope this helps. Good luck

Steve and Stacey

colin.helen <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >