Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recommendations to live

Recommendations to live

Old Jan 9th 2004, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

pete 10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recommendations to live

Myself,wife and two young children are looking to emigrate to Mandurah ,Perth area,as we have second cousins there.But really not sure as Perth is so isolated.
We want to live in a good area,with schools facilities etc,close to the Ocean,so that our children can have more normal type of life style that we can not offer our children today in the UK.
Know this may sound like a lot to ask for and do realise that the grass is not always greener but can anyone out there recommend or give any information on the best parts of Australia to live.
We have spoken to various people who have experiences of Oz and have suggested Queensland,but to be totally honest after seeing the last lot of Channel 4 programmes on a New Life Downunder where they were in Brisbane it has put us off.
Obviously we need to look at the employment etc, and really need to holiday in Australia,but cannot afford to go everywhere as the airfares are quite expensive .We would be grateful for any comments. Cheers just in the process of applying for skills assessment to the TRA.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:53 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Recommendations to live

Originally posted by pete 10
Myself,wife and two young children are looking to emigrate to Mandurah ,Perth area,as we have second cousins there.But really not sure as Perth is so isolated.
We want to live in a good area,with schools facilities etc,close to the Ocean,so that our children can have more normal type of life style that we can not offer our children today in the UK.
Know this may sound like a lot to ask for and do realise that the grass is not always greener but can anyone out there recommend or give any information on the best parts of Australia to live.
We have spoken to various people who have experiences of Oz and have suggested Queensland,but to be totally honest after seeing the last lot of Channel 4 programmes on a New Life Downunder where they were in Brisbane it has put us off.
Obviously we need to look at the employment etc, and really need to holiday in Australia,but cannot afford to go everywhere as the airfares are quite expensive .We would be grateful for any comments. Cheers just in the process of applying for skills assessment to the TRA.
May I first say "Dont believe what you see on TV !"

I am biased towards S.E.QLD. I've tried NSW, but didnt like it, although lots of people do. It really depends on what YOU are looking for. I've never been to Perth, so cannot comment on that area.

I think that most Jobs will be found in Sydney area.
Sydney has a faster pace of life than other areas. Property is also much more expensive.

Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:06 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

I may be out of date as I haven`t lived in Perth for 10 years, but:

Mandurah is nice, but is quite a way out of Perth. There are lot`s of English people around Mandurah/Rockingham. Anywhere you go in Aus will be within an hour or so drive of a beach anyway, and public transport is alot cheaper than the UK.

I found Perth quite boring and `dead-end`, as it is so isolated and has limited entertainment value.... once you`ve done what there is there a few times then it get`s boring. Myabe that`s just what I felt when I was young though, as now I`m 34 I may love the quiet city.

If I had a choice of where to live in Aus I`d probably like to try NSW or Queensland, just because there seems to be much more happening there.... but of course it`s more expensive to live.

It`s a pity you couldn`t check out the places yourself with a cheap Royal Brunei flight..... you can get a return (1 adult) for about £500.

Go to Brisbane, check it out and then drive down to Sydney. If you don`t like it or the possible job sit. around there then you know you`ll like the quieter Perth better.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:18 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Stormz
Anywhere you go in Aus will be within an hour or so drive of a beach anyway, and public transport is alot cheaper than the UK.
Any idea of the cost of public transport from Ayers Rock to the beach? friendly sarcasm intended

Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:30 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recommendations to live

Originally posted by pete 10
It is no wonder you are confused. The above describes a kind of 'lifestyle' that you hope to obtain by living in Australia. I am not sure what you mean by a 'more normal type of lifestyle' for your children.

I think you have to base your decision on employment opportunities (if you need to work) climate, if you want to but a house outright live mortgage free etc you may have more chance of doing that in WA than some of the other states.

I personally could not see myslef living in Perth forever, but some of the smaller coastal towns are lovely. I personally don't like places like Mandurah and Rockingham but others love them.

It is such a big decision and worth spend some money on making sure you get it right. You could save a whole lot of money in the long run.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

We are in a similar position, just starting out. We are still filling in those endless sheets for job history!

Even so, in our minds, we have sold our house, bought the tickets, and we're off. If only it were that simple...

We are torn between Brisbane and Adelaide for good reason.

In Brisbane, we have my first cousin and family who migrated in 1996 and have settled very nicely. We have always been close and we know that they would do everything to help us make our move work. Also, instant cousins for the kids!

In Adelaide we have my stepdaughter, also migrated in 1996 aged 4 with her Mom and Aussie soldier boyfriend. Against all odds, the marriage has lasted, stepdaughter is now 12, Mom still hates us for trying to keep stepdaughter in UK (we have since realised that she is much better off in Adelaide than at the foot of the ICI works on the Boro'). She has also done everything possible to break contact with us, but thanks to Aussie legal system, we now have better control over contact (anyone need a good lawyer in Adelaide??).

Adelaide would also possibly give us state nominated (if husband can source an IT job) that could speed up visa process.

We are torn between totally p***ing off ex-wife and moving to Adelaide, or pursuing our dream of Queensland, Brisbane specifically, and hoping step-daughter will be okay with us being only 1000 miles away, instead of 10,000! We haven't discussed this with them at all.

I would suggest that you seriously consider being near your second cousins, you may need them, after leaving your closest family members behind, familiarity may be very important.

I think we would settle better in Brisbane as it would be a more positive move for us, as opposed to the life of hell we would lead if we were to move in on the ex-wife's (or Jabba, as we fondly call her.. Star Wars?..You get the picture?..) territory.

sandy
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Sandy.l
We are torn between Brisbane and Adelaide for good reason.

In Brisbane, we have my first cousin and family
In Adelaide we have my stepdaughter,
Take account of airfares Adelaide to Brisbane with VirginBlue; its only $139.00 each way.

Brisbane may not be that bad an idea ?

Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Take account of airfares Adelaide to Brisbane with VirginBlue; its only $139.00 each way.

Brisbane may not be that bad an idea ?
I have to say that this will probably happen, I think it would be better for us to be in Brisbane, and travel to Adelaide to see Stepdaughter.

My cousins husband flies a lot with his Brisbane based job (publishing), and has highly recommended Virginblue to us. This will probably be what we do.

Another consideration is that our 7 yr old son wants to work at Australia Zoo and would never forgive us if we weren't in Queensland!!!!

sandy
Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Sandy.l
I have to say that this will probably happen, I think it would be better for us to be in Brisbane, and travel to Adelaide to see Stepdaughter.

My cousins husband flies a lot with his Brisbane based job (publishing), and has highly recommended Virginblue to us. This will probably be what we do.

Another consideration is that our 7 yr old son wants to work at Australia Zoo and would never forgive us if we weren't in Queensland!!!!

sandy
Your stepdaughter could always fly up to you, during holidays. Virgin carry many unaccompanied children on flights, and seem very good at it.

Good luck with your choice

Old Jan 10th 2004, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

I suppose this eventually may happen, when the poison has been drained from her brain...! We are, after all, axe murdering mother f***ers, according to her mother.

It's so sad that we are unable to have any real effect on her situation, it won't happen until she's allowed to speak for herself, at least now she's entering High School we know she's getting closer to being able to stand up for herself, even though we have missed out on so much of her life already.

At least when she rebels, and I really hope she does, we will already be there for her.

thanks ABC!

sandy
Old Jan 10th 2004, 4:32 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Well just keep in contact with her and send those cards, letters and Xmas pressies. Don`t ever say anything negative about the mother, let her make up her own mind....

And go to Brisbane!
Old Jan 10th 2004, 4:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Stormz
Well just keep in contact with her and send those cards, letters and Xmas pressies. Don`t ever say anything negative about the mother, let her make up her own mind....

And go to Brisbane!
I was thinking of saying something to that effect, so i'll just say "ditto"