Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for dental treatment in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia

Recommendations for dental treatment in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia

Old Mar 27th 2014, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all
Default Recommendations for dental treatment in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia

OH has just had a quote for dental work, including bridges for around $10,000. As we are pensioners on UK pensions, obviously this is out of the question.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations regarding getting major dental work done in Singapore or maybe Thailand or Malaysia, We are particularly interested in Singapore as we may travel there in the future to meet friends.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 3:10 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations for dental treatment in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
OH has just had a quote for dental work, including bridges for around $10,000. As we are pensioners on UK pensions, obviously this is out of the question.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations regarding getting major dental work done in Singapore or maybe Thailand or Malaysia, We are particularly interested in Singapore as we may travel there in the future to meet friends.
You may want to post this in the Far East section too - I'm sure I've seen recommendations there for dental treatment
Old Mar 27th 2014, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all
Default Re: Recommendations for dental treatment in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia

Thanks for the suggestion I will do that.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Bali is also popular for dental work x
Old Mar 27th 2014, 6:12 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Bali is also popular for dental work x

Seasider once posted the number of her Singapore dentist - I have it written down somewhere - let me see if I can find it...

S
Old Mar 27th 2014, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Marleys Ghost will become famous soon enoughMarleys Ghost will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Seasider once posted the number of her Singapore dentist - I have it written down somewhere - let me see if I can find it...

S
Hi,

this is the address that I got from Seasider

http://www.drstevenang.com/

MG
Old Mar 28th 2014, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marleys Ghost
Hi,

this is the address that I got from Seasider

http://www.drstevenang.com/

MG
Thanks very much, that's useful. I will look into it.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 9:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Thanks very much, that's useful. I will look into it.
TripAdvisor's another good source of info. Good luck
Old Mar 28th 2014, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I can vouch for Dr Ang at the Smile Division as I've seen him twice whilst travelling through Singapore. He was recommended to me by Seasider as I had a root canal which needed a crown and he did it for half the piece of Oz. He also did some fillings and managed to repair a broken tooth as well...awesome man!

Seriously he is lovely and even came in on his day off to check that everything was ok.

You'll need to allow some time as you'll have to have impressions and then the bridge made up, fitting etc. With my crown he took the impression on the way to the UK and put a temp cap on and then I had it fitted a few weeks late on the way back. With the broken tooth I think he did a quick turnaround in 3 days.

When you email or call then just let them know that you are an overseas patient and ask them how long they will need you for.

The only downside is you have to run the gauntlet through Lucky Plaza to get the surgery!!!!

Otherwise my friend in Sing says a lot of people there go to Bangkok and I've also heard about the Philippines as well. I'd prefer Singapore but you'd also have to factor in travel and hotel costs but we were going anyway so wasn't a problem. Implants are cheaper as well but Dr Ang said it's a little more complicated as the treatment is over a longer period.

Hope this helps and good luck, dental costs are so scary here! I had a check up when I was back in the UK last year and even he said oz fees were ridiculous as he'd just come back from Mellie!
Old Mar 28th 2015, 2:01 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fambam1970
If you're looking for a dental holiday then might as well spend it in Thailand. Try Thantakit International. A good friend of mine had a dental implant for less than half the price of what was quoted to him in the UK. Had two wisdom tooth extractions too in this place and was happy with it. The dentists and staff were good in English and I was impressed with their facilities.
I'm glad your friend had such a positive experience, but as someone who's almost at the end of my dental implant treatment, I don't understand how this procedure can be correctly and safely carried out in one or two overseas trips.

My dental implant treatment has taken 6 months, and has included several visits to the dental surgeon, the dental prosthetist (sometimes the surgeon and prosthetist together), hospital for the surgery, and 5 post surgery visits to a dentist to take, check and recheck the molds for the teeth. It's a long process, and things can go wrong at every stage.

Often your jaw bone needs to be shaved to receive the implants, and it's not uncommon for the implant to fail. Infection can be serious. Your 'new tooth/teeth' need to perfectly match your existing teeth, as a misaligned bite can have its own serious consequences, as well as look awful.

If people are happy to have this treatment overseas then that's certainly their own business, I'd just encourage people to do a lot of research about the procedure, and to consider what they'd do if any complications occur overseas, or once they're home again.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 12:04 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

For dental treatment I would certainly look at combining a trip to the UK/Europe for such procedures over a special trip to Asia just for that purpose. No comparison even if you have the luxury of doing a trip to the old continent in the first place...

For dental treatment I would recommend a pit-stop in Warsaw, Poland - it's literally 'take your pick' in terms of solid procedures at reasonable rates, especially considering the highest level of service you are likely to see. By comparison going to a dentist in Australia will seem like an episode of the Flintstones...
Old Mar 30th 2015, 12:38 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by astera
By comparison going to a dentist in Australia will seem like an episode of the Flintstones...
My Australian dental work has made it easy for me to chomp on my wooly mammoth dinners, so it can't be too bad.