Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for learning to build websites

Recommendation for learning to build websites

Old Oct 5th 2005, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

CheekyWeetus will become famous soon enough
Default Recommendation for learning to build websites

Me and my wife thought that a good way to keep in touch with family was to have a website we can update regularly with pictures of the family, vacations, family events etc.

We're fairly computer literate but haven't ever built or maintained a website before. Before we leave the States we thought we should buy any books or software we'll need (as it's generally cheaper). Does anyone have any recommendations for beginner software/good books - that kind of thing??

Perhaps also some recomendations on short courses/TAFE courses in the brisbane area for when we arrive (keep me and the missus off the strrets )
Old Oct 5th 2005, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Recommendation for learning to build websites

Originally Posted by CheekyWeetus
Me and my wife thought that a good way to keep in touch with family was to have a website we can update regularly with pictures of the family, vacations, family events etc.

We're fairly computer literate but haven't ever built or maintained a website before. Before we leave the States we thought we should buy any books or software we'll need (as it's generally cheaper). Does anyone have any recommendations for beginner software/good books - that kind of thing??

Perhaps also some recomendations on short courses/TAFE courses in the brisbane area for when we arrive (keep me and the missus off the strrets )

building a simple web page is easy..... the easyist program i have used to make a web page or series of pages is microsoft frontpage. they have plenty of templates and online help....... but were the hard bit comes in is uploading it to your web space as not all servers have frontpage extentions and you might have to activate this........ but once setup it is easy to update your pages with photos informaiton and the like....... frontpage remembers all the ftp information from the first time you uploaded your webpage to your ISP's server so its easy as clicking the upload button...... to update.

hope this helps....
Old Oct 6th 2005, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

If you just want a sight that you can keep posting photos etc. for the family to see there is software/host sites that let you do that for free already. Just do a quick Google search, download the software and hey presto !!!
Old Oct 6th 2005, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

brutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CheekyWeetus

Sounds to me that a blog would suit your needs 100%.
They provide a diary like interface, allow for photos to be uploaded etc etc.

They're very easy to set up and use. Saves you hours of getting bogged down in HTML tags. Provides you your own FREE space on the web.

And people are becoming more familiar with the format, so find it easier to read and navigate.

Here's a couple of urls where you can set one up

http://www.blogger.com/start

Or if you're a hotmail user, MSN spaces is great

http://spaces.msn.com/

If you have any problems or want any more guidance, feel free to contact me
But I genuinely feel this is the easiest route for you to go initially to get a presence on the web that suits your needs.

Cheers,
B