Reload this Page >

Recommend an Umbrella Company for IT Contract

Recommend an Umbrella Company for IT Contract

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Carey77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recommend an Umbrella Company for IT Contract

Hi,

I've been offered an IT contract . It's going to be short term so don't want to set up own company. Can anyone recommend a good Umbrella Company as I know they vary wildly in the UK.

I've searched a few threads & come up with the following;

* Freelance Global
* Entity Solutions
* CXG
* MyITG

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommend an Umbrella Company for IT Contract

Originally Posted by Carey77
Hi,

I've been offered an IT contract . It's going to be short term so don't want to set up own company. Can anyone recommend a good Umbrella Company as I know they vary wildly in the UK.

I've searched a few threads & come up with the following;

* Freelance Global
* Entity Solutions
* CXG
* MyITG

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Many thanks
I was recommended to use Entity Solutions a few years ago but I thought the fees were too much. It's probably the same with the others. I set up my own ABN even though it was only a 6 week contract. Getting an ABN is actually very easy and you can do it all online.

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 24th 2010, 1:52 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can get an ABN (Australian Business NUmber) registering as a Sole Trader without setting up a company.

Check out this section of the ATO website.

Be warned - I took a job a few years ago with a company that would not let me contract as a Sole Trader, so I had to get a mate to act as Umbrella Company - the company I was contracting to paid him $10/hr for that. Their loss, not mine!
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Wow someone who has done a bit of research before posting. Good man!

E-mail them all and haggle on the fee. See what you can get out of them. Might get LAHFA etc. I use CXC and they are very good. Pay weekly, always on time. Excellent communication. They are massive. Got them down to 4.5%

Good luck
Old Sep 24th 2010, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Entity Solutions have been good so far but really haggle on the rate..............it just takes the hassle out of stuff and at certain levels includes tax agent for you and your partner etc......
Old Sep 24th 2010, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

It's only a short term contract so I'm not sure it's worth setting up my own company. Plus seeing as I know nothing about tax & all the things I can offset against here I'm finding it slightly daunting.

Thanks for the advice on companies. I've put in a few calls, waiting for call backs (all so laid back here!). I just wish I could use my old UK company, I know they're good & really reasonable too.

Hopefully get sorted soon.

Many thanks
Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Carey77
It's only a short term contract so I'm not sure it's worth setting up my own company. Plus seeing as I know nothing about tax & all the things I can offset against here I'm finding it slightly daunting.

Thanks for the advice on companies. I've put in a few calls, waiting for call backs (all so laid back here!). I just wish I could use my old UK company, I know they're good & really reasonable too.

Hopefully get sorted soon.

Many thanks
You can;t use your old UK one because erm you're in Australia now
Old Sep 24th 2010, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd
You can;t use your old UK one because erm you're in Australia now
I think he realises that - it was just 'a wish'.........
Old Sep 24th 2010, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Yes, your right there, but it's 'She'
Old Sep 24th 2010, 11:50 am
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Hubby's been with ITG since arriving here - he was recommended them by a friend who has used them on and off for ages. Hubby's happy with their services - and also said you must haggle on fees.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I used CMS Global for a while.

They were great; friendly and efficient. I was impressed and have often recommended them to others.

They charge a flat 3.5%.

http://www.cmsglobal.com.au/index.html
Old Sep 24th 2010, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Myrtle & Nicky having a personal recommendation helps me loads. 3.5% seems to be fairly standard from the few I rang today.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm being ripped off!!!
Old Sep 24th 2010, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by itxrd
I'm being ripped off!!!
Many have tiers of service which may explain the difference. I know Entitiy does a platinum service etc. Also if there are other agencies involved they may charge more. This is what happened with my husband.

And apologies to Carey the lady!!
Old Sep 24th 2010, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Lady maybe going a little too far!

Right the next thing....I have to have a pension (Super)...do I have to go with the agencies one or pick my own?

If I get to pick one, any tips or good links to look at?

Thanks again