British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Recommend an Umbrella Company for IT Contract (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/recommend-umbrella-company-contract-686690/)

Carey77 Sep 23rd 2010 9:10 pm

Recommend an Umbrella Company for IT Contract

Hi,

I've been offered an IT contract :D. It's going to be short term so don't want to set up own company. Can anyone recommend a good Umbrella Company as I know they vary wildly in the UK.

I've searched a few threads & come up with the following;

* Freelance Global
* Entity Solutions
* CXG
* MyITG

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Many thanks

JackTheLad Sep 23rd 2010 9:24 pm

Re: Recommend an Umbrella Company for IT Contract

Originally Posted by Carey77 (Post 8871393)
Hi,

I've been offered an IT contract :D. It's going to be short term so don't want to set up own company. Can anyone recommend a good Umbrella Company as I know they vary wildly in the UK.

I've searched a few threads & come up with the following;

* Freelance Global
* Entity Solutions
* CXG
* MyITG

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Many thanks

I was recommended to use Entity Solutions a few years ago but I thought the fees were too much. It's probably the same with the others. I set up my own ABN even though it was only a 6 week contract. Getting an ABN is actually very easy and you can do it all online.

Mrs JTL

KJCherokee Sep 24th 2010 1:52 am

Yes, you can get an ABN (Australian Business NUmber) registering as a Sole Trader without setting up a company.

Check out this section of the ATO website.

Be warned - I took a job a few years ago with a company that would not let me contract as a Sole Trader, so I had to get a mate to act as Umbrella Company - the company I was contracting to paid him $10/hr for that. Their loss, not mine!

itxrd Sep 24th 2010 3:20 am

Wow someone who has done a bit of research before posting. Good man!

E-mail them all and haggle on the fee. See what you can get out of them. Might get LAHFA etc. I use CXC and they are very good. Pay weekly, always on time. Excellent communication. They are massive. Got them down to 4.5%

Good luck

itigo Sep 24th 2010 5:16 am

Entity Solutions have been good so far but really haggle on the rate..............it just takes the hassle out of stuff and at certain levels includes tax agent for you and your partner etc......

Carey77 Sep 24th 2010 6:02 am

It's only a short term contract so I'm not sure it's worth setting up my own company. Plus seeing as I know nothing about tax & all the things I can offset against here I'm finding it slightly daunting.

Thanks for the advice on companies. I've put in a few calls, waiting for call backs (all so laid back here!). I just wish I could use my old UK company, I know they're good & really reasonable too.

Hopefully get sorted soon.

Many thanks

itxrd Sep 24th 2010 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Carey77 (Post 8872166)
It's only a short term contract so I'm not sure it's worth setting up my own company. Plus seeing as I know nothing about tax & all the things I can offset against here I'm finding it slightly daunting.

Thanks for the advice on companies. I've put in a few calls, waiting for call backs (all so laid back here!). I just wish I could use my old UK company, I know they're good & really reasonable too.

Hopefully get sorted soon.

Many thanks

You can;t use your old UK one because erm you're in Australia now

itigo Sep 24th 2010 10:15 am

Originally Posted by itxrd (Post 8872323)
You can;t use your old UK one because erm you're in Australia now

I think he realises that - it was just 'a wish'.........

Carey77 Sep 24th 2010 10:18 am

Yes, your right there, but it's 'She' ;)

myrtle1 Sep 24th 2010 11:50 am

Hubby's been with ITG since arriving here - he was recommended them by a friend who has used them on and off for ages. Hubby's happy with their services - and also said you must haggle on fees.

NickyC Sep 24th 2010 12:32 pm

I used CMS Global for a while.

They were great; friendly and efficient. I was impressed and have often recommended them to others.

They charge a flat 3.5%.

http://www.cmsglobal.com.au/index.html

Carey77 Sep 24th 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks Myrtle & Nicky having a personal recommendation helps me loads. 3.5% seems to be fairly standard from the few I rang today.

itxrd Sep 24th 2010 8:41 pm

I'm being ripped off!!! :ohmy:

itigo Sep 24th 2010 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by itxrd (Post 8873668)
I'm being ripped off!!! :ohmy:

Many have tiers of service which may explain the difference. I know Entitiy does a platinum service etc. Also if there are other agencies involved they may charge more. This is what happened with my husband.

And apologies to Carey the lady!!

Carey77 Sep 24th 2010 10:38 pm

Lady maybe going a little too far!

Right the next thing....I have to have a pension (Super)...do I have to go with the agencies one or pick my own?

If I get to pick one, any tips or good links to look at?

Thanks again