Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

recommend a suburb in perth?

recommend a suburb in perth?

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

puddlefish will become famous soon enoughpuddlefish will become famous soon enough
Question recommend a suburb in perth?

Hi,
Myself and my wife have decided to buy a home here in Perth (we're Irish, here about six months). Our price range is between $450,000 and $500,000.

We both work in West Perth, and would be willing to travel up to 40 minutes to work (we start at 8ish so miss rush hour). We don't have kids (yet), and are really looking for a home to live in for about 3-4 years and then sell, hopefully at a profit, so that's a consideration. We're looking for a 3 bed house by the way (preferrably with a pool!). We're not bothered about being near the beach, although we would take it into consideration with regards to resale value.

So far we've considered Padbury, Craigie, Hamersley, Beldon and South Guildford.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on any of these, or any suggestions for other areas that might suit our needs?

Thanks!
Ian
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: recommend a suburb in perth?

Originally Posted by puddlefish
Hi,
Myself and my wife have decided to buy a home here in Perth (we're Irish, here about six months). Our price range is between $450,000 and $500,000.

We both work in West Perth, and would be willing to travel up to 40 minutes to work (we start at 8ish so miss rush hour). We don't have kids (yet), and are really looking for a home to live in for about 3-4 years and then sell, hopefully at a profit, so that's a consideration. We're looking for a 3 bed house by the way (preferrably with a pool!). We're not bothered about being near the beach, although we would take it into consideration with regards to resale value.

So far we've considered Padbury, Craigie, Hamersley, Beldon and South Guildford.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on any of these, or any suggestions for other areas that might suit our needs?

Thanks!
Ian
Be very careful around Guildford, and stay well away from Ashfield, my older kids are there, really bad area.
They where attacked by aboriginals with machettes and baseball bats a few weeks ago.
They will move when their 6 month lease is up.
Denise
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

puddlefish will become famous soon enoughpuddlefish will become famous soon enough

Wow, scary stuff. Hope they're OK.
We were thinking more around South Guildford or Woodbridge, is that any different?
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

What about up towards quinns rock, round brighton or that neck of woods you would def find somthing in your range and when the freeway hits up there in a few years you would be quids in! If you looked hard enough you may be lucky with a pearler of a property around ocean reef great area, maybe somthing that needs a lick of paint and for you to put your own pool in! I think you will find somthing though!
Goodluck and keep us informed
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 10:57 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Ian
out of that lot would go Hamersley. Padbury is quite rental orientated. Try Duncraig, Greenwood, Warwick
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
out of that lot would go Hamersley. Padbury is quite rental orientated. Try Duncraig, Greenwood, Warwick
Thanks for that. I like Warwick but had heard it can be a bit rough. Is this true or is it just a lingering reputation?
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. I like Warwick but had heard it can be a bit rough. Is this true or is it just a lingering reputation?
They lived in South Guildford at first, they did not have any trouble there.
But as a family i would not like to live there.
You are doing the right thing getting advice off this forum, Is Leeming too far, i have a friend there, its really nice.
Good luck
Denise
Old Apr 4th 2007, 1:59 am
Just Joined

Not really sure where Leeming is to be honest. It's south of the river, right? Are the prices reasonable there? What's it like? Cheers!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:07 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Basically head up the mitchell freeway and try and stay as far south on it as you can suburbs off to the right will be slightly cheaper than those on the left (beach side) you might manage something in Duncraig still, otherwise Greenwood would be a good option, you can still get largish blocks (750sqm+) with places you can "renovate & prosper" from in the $400 to $500K mark.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks Steve. Does anyone know if Wattle Grove is nice? The prices there are still fairly reasonable.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:28 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Warwick isn't so bad but it is near places like Balga (thinking who gets on the train there) which is rough.

I think Steve99 got it about right. You may struggle a bit in that range around those areas but if you shop around, compromise on a pool, say, or are prepared for a "renovator's dream" you will be okay.

For the sake of a few minutes travel think about a little further north - Kinross / Carramar are alright (I would say that) without being too expensive and the freeway extension will bring them within range next year.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

For the sake of a few minutes travel think about a little further north - Kinross / Carramar are alright (I would say that) without being too expensive and the freeway extension will bring them within range next year.[/QUOTE]

Quite agree with you there worzel..............Kinross is a pretty good suburb.
Close to the beach and train station, a bit on the quiet side, but lots of nice people living there!!!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys. I didn't realise the freeway was being extended. When is that happening and how far north is it going? Cheers.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

How about heading South? Baldivis is only 30mins from West Perth- very nice area too Port Kennedy is about 10 mins further south, but both these area's are likely to increase in price due to the train line extension (supposed to be complete July 2007).
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

krestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wren
How about heading South? Baldivis is only 30mins from West Perth- very nice area too Port Kennedy is about 10 mins further south, but both these area's are likely to increase in price due to the train line extension (supposed to be complete July 2007).
hi, my sister is currently selling a 4 bed house in Quinns Rocks, with double garage, spa, landscaped gardens, theatre room, en suite etc. NO CHAIN. drop me a line if your interested anyone. [email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.