Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recommend a 4WD vehicle

Recommend a 4WD vehicle

Old Jan 29th 2011, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recommend a 4WD vehicle

Right guys, I'm looking at buying my first 4WD and would appreciate any
advice/ views on which one I should go for.

I will be using it for general running about, some part time work (carrying
tools etc) and camping trips.

My budget is around 15k.

I've been looking at old Toyota Landcruisers and Nissan Patrols, with about
250k - 300k kms, but I'm not sure if I'd be better looking at something
else, with less kms?

Oh and would you guys recommend going for a diesel or a LPG conversion??

Cheers in advance.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all
Default Re: Recommend a 4WD vehicle

Hi,

Both of those old trucks will be far better binge drinkers than even the most hardened geordie, even on gas. I had an old Landcruiser (over 300K km's) as a farm run about and it was hardly comfortable on a daily drive. Tough as anything but not a 'cruiser'.

So much choice out there and even more opinion, so look at plenty and decide what you really want it for, then decide if what you're looking at will do the job. No right or wrong, just preference. Heck for a little bit more money you might be able to find a new'ish greatwall by now with loads of features?

I have a Jeep........ "it's a Jeep thing!!"
Old Jan 29th 2011, 10:56 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
me 2

you wouldn't understand
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

we have an Egg

Aka Mitzubishe Delica Spacewagon...

7 seater with a bit of luxury for city, plenty of room for camping As all the seats slide to the side creating a cavern... (you can put ypur bed in the back, dont bother with a tent lol) and 4 wheel drive to boot...

And in your price range.... But we aint selling ours... Too useful
Old Jan 29th 2011, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
Hi,

Both of those old trucks will be far better binge drinkers than even the most hardened geordie, even on gas. I had an old Landcruiser (over 300K km's) as a farm run about and it was hardly comfortable on a daily drive. Tough as anything but not a 'cruiser'.

So much choice out there and even more opinion, so look at plenty and decide what you really want it for, then decide if what you're looking at will do the job. No right or wrong, just preference. Heck for a little bit more money you might be able to find a new'ish greatwall by now with loads of features?

Thanks for the info, have heard mixed reports re the greatwalls and even though the price is very reasonable for a new 4WD, might be a few k's more than I would like to spend.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eddie007
we have an Egg

Aka Mitzubishe Delica Spacewagon...

7 seater with a bit of luxury for city, plenty of room for camping As all the seats slide to the side creating a cavern... (you can put ypur bed in the back, dont bother with a tent lol) and 4 wheel drive to boot...

And in your price range.... But we aint selling ours... Too useful
is it petrol or diesel?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Its petrol... But 90% of them out there are diesal... HE reckons that the petrol is better coz the engines are standard and its easier and cheaper to get parts than the diesals... We get approx400km to a tank... Its a small tank

If the the diesal pump hasnt had new seals put through it stay away coz itll cost a couple of grand to sort it...
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eddie007
Its petrol... But 90% of them out there are diesal... HE reckons that the petrol is better coz the engines are standard and its easier and cheaper to get parts than the diesals... We get approx400km to a tank... Its a small tank

If the the diesal pump hasnt had new seals put through it stay away coz itll cost a couple of grand to sort it...

Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
[/B]

we were thinking about converting her to gas... but never got round to it whilst the rebate was happening...
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Condor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant future

Geordiebloke,

what's the maximum number of people you expect to carry, on a regular basis?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Condor of Bermuda
Geordiebloke,

what's the maximum number of people you expect to carry, on a regular basis?
On a regulr basis, 3 and a dog, plus camping gear etc. At other times, just me, tools, wood flooring/ carpets on the roof etc.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Condor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant futureCondor of Bermuda has a brilliant future

In that case. I'd be looking for a good 2nd hand Hilux dualcab. Diesel for range and longevity, bit slow around town though.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Right guys, I'm looking at buying my first 4WD and would appreciate any
advice/ views on which one I should go for.

I will be using it for general running about, some part time work (carrying
tools etc) and camping trips.

My budget is around 15k.

I've been looking at old Toyota Landcruisers and Nissan Patrols, with about
250k - 300k kms, but I'm not sure if I'd be better looking at something
else, with less kms?

Oh and would you guys recommend going for a diesel or a LPG conversion??

Cheers in advance.
Do you plan on actually using the 4wd? Do you think you would head off the beaten track? Only asking because finding LPG out there might be harder than finding diesel?

We've mates with both Landcruisers and Patrols. Both will happily do a load of kms and it not worry them, ie 400,000 and still going strong. We're just swapping Pathfinder to Landcruiser. Love, love, love my Pathy but with two increasingly tall children, plus the desire for more clearance led us to the Cruiser.

Everyone will have their favorites but on fuel consumption alone I'd recommend the Pathfinder, 9.6 l to do 100 kms.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:43 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I second the advice about getting a dual cab - far better for work purposes. Don't get LPG if you plan to travel to any remote areas as it is often not available in small towns. Diesel is the way to go.

This sort of thing
Old Jan 30th 2011, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I second the advice about getting a dual cab - far better for work purposes. Don't get LPG if you plan to travel to any remote areas as it is often not available in small towns. Diesel is the way to go.
Good call.

A similar option, and one that's become quite affordable, is the Hilux Surf/4Runner - often thought of as a sort of metrosexual dual cab. I had one for three years before I chopped it in on a forester (don't ask) The IFS makes them slightly better mannered on the blacktop than a hilux and the trim level makes for more comfortable long distance driving.

Can thoroughly recommend them - go for the three litre diesel (Prado engine) rather than the slightly gutless 2.4 though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.