Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

recomend a good pet shippers please!

recomend a good pet shippers please!

Old Jul 9th 2003, 11:20 am
can`t believe we made it!

hanley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default recomend a good pet shippers please!

Has anyone recently taken there pets to NZ or Aus and could recomend a good company.Just had my 2x cats and dog microchiped and i am now stuck as what to do i am finding this more complicated than filling in the visa application
The vets have quoted £ 510 for all the bloods,export certificate,flea spray and worming. (for all 3 bloods not for the cats).
Time is now running out out we are hopeing to be leaving in about 6 weeks to Nz.
Any advice would be appreciated i am getting myself in a twist as to what to do next.
thanks
kerrie

Old Jul 9th 2003, 11:34 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: recomend a good pet shippers please!

Originally posted by hanley
Has anyone recently taken there pets to NZ or Aus and could recomend a good company.Just had my 2x cats and dog microchiped and i am now stuck as what to do i am finding this more complicated than filling in the visa application
The vets have quoted £ 510 for all the bloods,export certificate,flea spray and worming. (for all 3 bloods not for the cats).
Time is now running out out we are hopeing to be leaving in about 6 weeks to Nz.
Any advice would be appreciated i am getting myself in a twist as to what to do next.
thanks
kerrie

Hi there, have you tried Animal Airline in Manchester - they quoted us £550 for our cat to NZ.

regards, Rich.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 11:36 am

thanks rich could you send me there no. if you have it?
kerrie
Old Jul 9th 2003, 11:42 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by hanley
thanks rich could you send me there no. if you have it?
kerrie

Sure.......

Look here for a bit of background too http://www.freedom4sale.com/magazine/animal-air-uk.html

http://www.moggies.co.uk/services/pet_move.html

is a comprehensive list of pet shippers........inc animal airlines.

Good luck in Nz, hopefully we won't be too far behind.

regards, Rich
Old Jul 9th 2003, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Hi

we are in northampton too and i found that the best service i got was from airpets at heathrow, i got several other quotes but theres included everything including the permit, all i have to do is get old 4legs blood tests done. they were also the closest to us making it easier and as they are at heathrow they dont have to drive the animals far before boarding the aircraft. all the quotes worked out about the same, but we figured that we will have enough stress without having to drive the dog half way round the country.

Good Luck

Lynn
Old Jul 9th 2003, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Go with Airpets at Heathrow a brilliant service, took my 2 siamese cats to Adelaide , well Melbourne for quarantine.

Colin
Old Jul 9th 2003, 4:16 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

were sending our dog with golden arrow shippers of Shropshire...

theyve been very helpful so far...01 588 680 240 ..speak to Mr Sorenson
Old Jul 9th 2003, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point

How much are you being quoted for shipping your dog. We have a medium sized Lab and the total cost we are being asked to pay comes to around £2000 - yes!! 2 Grand for a dog.

This includes injections, shipping from Edinburgh and 30days quarantine in Melbourne.

Are we being ripped off or is this the going rate.

Ken and Nel
Old Jul 9th 2003, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

hi ken & nel

no you are not being ripped off, its costing us about the same for our medium sized lab. my husband is going to be well p****d off if he gets bitten by a snake as soon as hes out of quarantine!!!!(thats the dog not the husband).

lynn
Old Jul 9th 2003, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought Airpets quote was a bit pricey for our moggie to Melbourne so I rang Qantas for advice.

The only alternative they said they used regularly was James Cargo - also at Heathrow. Their quote is much more reasonable (about £150 cheaper) and the service seems more personal - they've actually visited the quarantine station we're going to and could give us some advice. They do boarding beforehand same as Airpets and gave us advice on the various forms.

James Cargo 01753 687 722.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 8:19 pm

Hi Jolyn

Thats funny you should say `james cargo` i emailed them yesterday and received a quote today of £1124 for 2 cats and a dog to nz.
Does that mean i would then get my vet to do the rest as in Bloods, health certificate ect.
Did you apply for the import permit yourself was it quite simple?
thanks for your info
kerrie
Old Jul 9th 2003, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

I haven't done all the paperwork yet (not going until sept) but I got James Cargo to run me through the details of what I'd need and then looked it up on the web. They were very helpful.

My cat already has all the basics done with usual vaccinations so I just needed to have her microchipped. Then my vet can do the last minute stuff (I think 3 days before departure). The rest is done by the vet at Heathrow.

I only know the details for Oz but I'm sure NZ must have it on the website for Ag&Fish or whatever they're called now.

It seems straightforward enough to not warrant paying Airpets loads of extra dosh to do it for you.
Old Jul 9th 2003, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oops - about permits.

The export cert is simple - any vet seems to be an 'approved vet' so it's just a bit of paper you get from Defra, fill in, send back to Defra and they send it your vet. Vet fills in the details within 2 days of departure when they do the checkup.

The import permit for Oz requires downloading a form from the web, sending it to the quarantine station you want in Oz and then they send it back. Your vet fills in Part A within 2 days of departure (along with the export form) and gives moggy a flea treatment and worming. The govt vet at Heathrow fills in Part B.

Don't know the import bit for NZ - so check the web.

Then all we have to do is drop the cat to James Cargo at 5pm for a 10.30pm departing flight.

Defra's number in Chelmsford is 01245 358383 and you need to speak to the animal health office. I'm not sure but you might need to use the Defra office nearest you so ask them.

Get James Cargo to run you through the details and give you the numbers you need.

In Oz, the quarantine is paid for directly to the quarantine station before your pet is released.

Wishing your menagerie a good trip!
Old Jul 9th 2003, 8:56 pm

thanks joyln my head feels a bit clearer now it spelt out in normal english.I will give them a ring tomorow and see if i can get any more info.I think nz is similar only you don`t have to have your pets quarentined you just have to give them an address of where they will be staying for 30 days.
Thanks for the info and all the best to you on your travels
kerrie