Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recliffe Questions???

Recliffe Questions???

Old Jun 13th 2005, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Question Redcliffe Peninsular Questions???

Hi All,

After lots of internet research, we have identified the Redcliffe Peninsula north of Brisbane as a possible place we might like to live.

Does any body have any experience of this area and can an offer an insight into what it's really like?

Thanks in advance...

Rob n Caz

Last edited by ROBnCAZ; Jun 13th 2005 at 5:10 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:00 pm
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future
Default Re: Redcliffe Peninsular Questions???

All I can offer is this...

My view of Redcliffe is pretty limited but I took a whistle-stop tour of the Brisbane area in February and spent an afternoon, evening, night and morning in Redcliffe; I nearly chewed my own arm off.

The place was deadly quite and the beach was not what I was hoping for. It actually made me think that we had the whole thing wrong looking at Brisbane and we should go to Melbourne, our origional plan, which we know we like. Luckily I didn't chew my own arm off and carried onto the Sunshine Coast, which was exactly what I was hoping for and is where we are going in November.

I'm sure that lots of people love Redcliffe, but from the point of view of an early 30's professional couple who are after fantastic beaches and a little bit of life and atmosphere it's most certainly not the place.

Maroochydore here we come!

Cheers.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:23 pm
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future
Default Re: Recliffe Questions???

**UPDATE**

My better half has just come home.

After I told her there was a thread about Redcliffe she reminded me that I phoned her back in the UK, whilst I was still in Redcliffe, and was really down and depressed about the move to Australia. I felt that the whole Brisbane thing was a big mistake and that we weren't going to be able to get the type of beaches we love in our move to Oz, my main reason for going, as we didn't want to move to Perth and they don't exist in Melbourne.

Of course, if beaches aren't your thing then don't worry about it. I am also aware that beaches are subjective and what one person loves another won't.

Cheers.

Last edited by PWBCSA; Jun 13th 2005 at 6:28 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice

Hi

Some call it Deadcliffe. Before we when out to Oz to check it out I looked at redcliffe on the map and thought it might be a good place to be, so as soon as we landed we went straight there. It made us really think that maybe Oz was not for us, it was like Southend with tropical plants. We moved down to the gold coast area and thats when we fell in love. The second time we came to Oz we thought maybe we would give Redcliffe another go, but no change we still hated it there. Thats just my opinion.

Jane
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:20 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PWBCSA
**UPDATE**

My better half has just come home.

After I told her there was a thread about Redcliffe she reminded me that I phoned her back in the UK, whilst I was still in Redcliffe, and was really down and depressed about the move to Australia. I felt that the whole Brisbane thing was a big mistake and that we weren't going to be able to get the type of beaches we love in our move to Oz, my main reason for going, as we didn't want to move to Perth and they don't exist in Melbourne.

Of course, if beaches aren't your thing then don't worry about it. I am also aware that beaches are subjective and what one person loves another won't.

Cheers.
hi, whats the travelling time from where you are heading to brisbane centre, are there trains etc.

We are interested in beaches and a bit of life like you so will check out where you suggested in nov. We may even pay you a visit!!

good luck
alk
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:41 pm
ピーター及びクレア

Originally Posted by lee/jane
It made us really think that maybe Oz was not for us, it was like Southend with tropical plants.
Brilliant!

Although I did used to visit Southend to see my Nan and Grandad when I was a kid and loved it, how we change as we 'mature'...

Cheers.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:44 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
hi, whats the travelling time from where you are heading to brisbane centre, are there trains etc.

We are interested in beaches and a bit of life like you so will check out where you suggested in nov. We may even pay you a visit!!

good luck
alk
Al, unless you want a 3hr+ commute everyday (drive to Caboolture & then train to the CBD) I would cross the Sunshine Coast off my list.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I have only been to Redcliffe a couple of times for a few hours, to walk along the beach, get fish and chips etc. I thought it seemed nice, clean beach, parks for kids. Maybe not if you are hip young couple, but if you have a young family it would probably be a good area to live. I enjoy holidaying on the Gold coast, but for me it is very touristy and not a place I could set up home. My sister feels the same and she lived there for 2 years.

Katie
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:55 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Deadcliffe on our 1st day in Queensland & our impression was that if this is what Queensland has to offer then why bother. What a craphole, it seemed pretty run down & dowdy. There were thrift shops along the waterfront for instance. It has the potential to be a nice place-but it's not.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:00 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

w3hats caboolture like then please.

alk
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:04 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
w3hats caboolture like then please.

alk
Ever seen the movie 'Deliverance'?. Caboolture reminded me of it. Maroochydore/Buderim is nice up that way.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Hi RobnCaz, can't be arsed getting into the let's slag a destination, but sent you a pm with some info. It was originally sent to someone else asking about that area.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:35 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by logan
Hi RobnCaz, can't be arsed getting into the let's slag a destination, but sent you a pm with some info. It was originally sent to someone else asking about that area.
Logan,

Thanx for the info, along with everyone else's input.

It is pretty much what we expected to hear to be honest..........now looking at Maroochy, on the recommendation of our agent!!

Maybe see you out there Logan!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:42 am
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Hi All,

After lots of internet research, we have identified the Redcliffe Peninsula north of Brisbane as a possible place we might like to live.

Does any body have any experience of this area and can an offer an insight into what it's really like?

Thanks in advance...

Rob n Caz
Rob, this was an are me and the family were looking to go to when we move out in a few months time. Like you, I had asked the questions on this and another forum, and got quite a few surprising replies.

I went for a reccy in March and had there areas to check out, Redcliffe, Manly and Mooloolaba. Got to say, Redcliffe just did not compare to the other two. If beaches are you thing, then the Gold or Sunshine coast. Manly is close to the CBD and had a good "vibe" to the area. Good to see lots of families using the large play area near the beach at the weekend. no beach as such, more like mud flats, but I was told that part of a major redevelopment was to dump tons of sand in the next year or so, so this would make it a lot nicer. No surf though, because of the island.

For us, Mooloolaba was the place, had everything to offer, nice houses, good schools, good beaches and quite trendy, with a god few restaurants and bars along the beach front.

Redcliffe was quite, very quite. One of the other comments about it reminding them of Southend, did make me chuckle....I can see the resemblance !!

Good luck with your choice. All I would say, go with an open mind and sometime to spend in Redclifffe and any other areas that you feel you would possibly like to settle in.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
Rob, this was an are me and the family were looking to go to when we move out in a few months time. Like you, I had asked the questions on this and another forum, and got quite a few surprising replies.

I went for a reccy in March and had there areas to check out, Redcliffe, Manly and Mooloolaba. Got to say, Redcliffe just did not compare to the other two. If beaches are you thing, then the Gold or Sunshine coast. Manly is close to the CBD and had a good "vibe" to the area. Good to see lots of families using the large play area near the beach at the weekend. no beach as such, more like mud flats, but I was told that part of a major redevelopment was to dump tons of sand in the next year or so, so this would make it a lot nicer. No surf though, because of the island.

For us, Mooloolaba was the place, had everything to offer, nice houses, good schools, good beaches and quite trendy, with a god few restaurants and bars along the beach front.

Redcliffe was quite, very quite. One of the other comments about it reminding them of Southend, did make me chuckle....I can see the resemblance !!

Good luck with your choice. All I would say, go with an open mind and sometime to spend in Redclifffe and any other areas that you feel you would possibly like to settle in.
Thanx JC......we are still in the very ealry stages of sussing the place out. Looks like Redcliffe is nearing the bottom of our list though!

We are fortunate in that we are very independant and have no ankle snappers so intend to get a tent or camper upon arrival and 'explore'!!

The short list of places to check out is getting smaller though

BTW, mighty fine avatar..............guessing that's not you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.