Recie/Holiday

Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice
Default Recie/Holiday

We were meant to be moving out to Oz by the end of the year, but there is now a chance of Voluntary Redundancy for early next year at work, which would mean a nice £20k pay off.

On the back of this we have now decided to go on a fact finding trip/holiday to get our visas (BN 136) stamped within the March deadline.

We want to visit both Melbourne and Sydney as we still haven't made our mind up where to go (our preference off paper is Melbourne) as we haven't been to Oz before. Then a quick trip up to the barrier reef for a couple of days relaxing.

How long will we need in Melbourne and Sydney to do some fact finding? Is there anything that can be done whilst there in preperation for when we move out? (i.e. Tax File Number, Bank Account, Medicash etc..) Will 3 weeks be enough including stopovers?
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Recie/Holiday

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
We were meant to be moving out to Oz by the end of the year, but there is now a chance of Voluntary Redundancy for early next year at work, which would mean a nice £20k pay off.

On the back of this we have now decided to go on a fact finding trip/holiday to get our visas (BN 136) stamped within the March deadline.

We want to visit both Melbourne and Sydney as we still haven't made our mind up where to go (our preference off paper is Melbourne) as we haven't been to Oz before. Then a quick trip up to the barrier reef for a couple of days relaxing.

How long will we need in Melbourne and Sydney to do some fact finding? Is there anything that can be done whilst there in preperation for when we move out? (i.e. Tax File Number, Bank Account, Medicash etc..) Will 3 weeks be enough including stopovers?
Hi Wigan Warrior,

I should imagine that in 3 weeks you will be able to find out the most importnant things i.e local health services, schools, that areas employment and what you are looking for.

I think that before you go, you write down as many questions that you want answering, that way when you get there you have something to go off.

I don't think it matters how long you go for at first, you are never going to know everything before you go but you can plan.

Me and the OH have sent our visa off (25th July) so know we probably want get a response until early next year, but we are planing a reckie trip for the September (08). We were going to go straight there but like yourselves, we have never been to Oz before. We are looking at Perth or Brisbane and are hoping to spend 4 or 5 days in both and the rest of the time at G B Reef.

As far as prparing tax number etc, this can be done at this end once your visa has been granted, as can bank accounts.

I think, if you are going out for 3 weeks, a week in Melbourne and a week in Sydney should be enough for you to research all you need to know.

Thanks
Donna.

Last edited by DEEDEE01; Aug 12th 2007 at 10:13 am.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Thanks. I thought an australian address was needed for the Tax File number, was wondering if I could get it sent to the hotel whilst there.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
Thanks. I thought an australian address was needed for the Tax File number, was wondering if I could get it sent to the hotel whilst there.
They are taking 4weeks to come through the tax file numbers after the initial application (got ours through recently) - if you are still in the hotel for that length of time then you should be ok.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Am I right in saying that if we go on holiday and get our visas stamped before the deadline on the visa that we can then delay moving for any time up till the visa exparation date (not that I'll be leaving that long)
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:20 pm
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

We did a recky earlier this year, which ever city you land in, (we landed in Melbourne) allow yourself a complete day to recover, we arrived in Melbourne and had to wait until 2.00pm to book in to hotel, the air stewardess advised us to have a sleep for 2 - 3 hours at the most, then go and have something to eat and drink, then go back to bed about 9pm, this we did and woke up fresh as a daisy the next day at about 7am. A week in both cities is ok, and as previous poster said, there is a lot that can be done from here (UK), We spent 3 weeks in Melbourne and surrounding area and a week in Sydney, Sydney is a lovely city but not for us, have decided on going about 1 hour south from Melbourne, as we are hopefully going on a business visa and need to be out of main cities.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

We think we'll prefer Melbourne to Sydney, there are more jobs in my field in Sydney but Melbourne seems more suitable for bringing up a family.

We like the idea of Seaford or somewhere in that vacinity.

Good luck with your move.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 7:57 pm
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

Whereabouts is Seaford in relation to Melbourne
Old Aug 13th 2007, 8:03 pm
Permanent Resident

Found it, on the Mornington Peninsula, didn't get round there unfortunately, and my kids although they are coming with us they are 23, 22 and 16.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 8:05 pm
Permanent Resident

We chose Geelong because of the work situation, altho hubby runs his own business here, his trade is a sparky and there is a shortage of them there according to the Geelong stats. Whats your job?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Laights
We chose Geelong because of the work situation, altho hubby runs his own business here, his trade is a sparky and there is a shortage of them there according to the Geelong stats. Whats your job?
I'm in IT, looked at jobs in Melbourne and Sydney, there are more in my field in Sydney, but the house prices really scare me

I have a friend living in Balmain (Sydney) at the moment and he's looking at leaving Oz for a couple of years to get money together to buy a house.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:10 am
Permanent Resident

Hi there,

Yes we looked at house prices in sydney, and boy are they expensive. A lot cheaper in Melbourne expecially out in the suburbs an cheaper still the further you go out, we had a good look around in Feb and liked what we saw, certainly a lot cheaper than here, we really liked Melbourne, its a nice big open city very well thought out, one thing that impressed us was the transport system, far better than ours. Although I wasn't to keen on having to get in the left hand lane to turn right, believe me that is something to get used to but its the only city so I was told that do that. If you need any info for your reckie just let me know.

Lisa
Old Aug 14th 2007, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Laights

Although I wasn't to keen on having to get in the left hand lane to turn right, believe me that is something to get used to but its the only city so I was told that do that. I

Lisa
Yes, Melbourne is the only city that turns right from the left lane because it is the only city with trams Did you think it was some strange Australian custom or something?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 2:36 pm
Permanent Resident

No I knew it was for the trams, but it does make you wonder when you see signs telling you to drive on the left, thought that was quite amusing
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

We've decided on something along the following:

Leave here 26th Dec
1 night stopover on way (maybe Kuala Lumpar depends on who fly with)
7 days in Sydney (the OH wants to do New Years Eve)
3/4 days in port douglas (or cairnes)
7 days in Melbourne
4/5 days beach on way back (maybe langkawi or penang)

Any suggestions of things to do whilst there or recommendations for places to stay or things we should be looking to check out as part of recie are appreciated.

Cheers,
Martin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.