Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

recession in Australia

recession in Australia

Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:52 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: recession in Australia

In my experience finding staff is not hard finding good staff that's a job and a half.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:12 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
she`ll be right mate, our PM Gillard is
moving forward through theese boom times
I

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Australia has always had economic Migrants though. Way back to the Gold Rush. The Biggest wave of Economic Migrants would have been the Greeks and Italians in the 50's... the ones that worked on the Snowy river scheme and set up Market Gardens.

I think the Chinese Migrants that come, will become a lot richer far quicker than the majority of the Meditteraneans . Thats my observation thus far. They seem to come loaded and earn plenty in no time at all. People from the sub continent a totally different story. You hardly ever see a Chinese Cab driver, so putting Chinese under the Economic Migrant banner is misunderstanding how they manage. People from the Sub Continent are a totally different kettle of Fish.
That's who I was referring to. Indian and Pakistan migrants bringing little money in and sending money home & happy to earn less than those already in Aus - ergo bringing wages down (through no fault of their own)

Originally Posted by bcworld
Immigration has always been designed to keep a lid on inflation - this is nothing new. Lower inflation = lower interest rates & cost of services.
Yep.

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
How do we stand on British Immigrants? Just asking like.
The buggars aren't game to come over any more. No more pounds being brought in from that lot to boost the economy any more
Old Jun 27th 2011, 8:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
In my experience finding staff is not hard finding good staff that's a job and a half.
Ain't that the truth. You should see some of the muppets that I am having to hire just so we can get (half) a job done. Decent engineering people are very hard to find.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:09 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Ain't that the truth. You should see some of the muppets that I am having to hire just so we can get (half) a job done. Decent engineering people are very hard to find.
Yet there is no shortage of Irish engineers looking for 457 sponsors?
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

sue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nice

Yes there is one but goverment won't admit.I work in retail and been a huge downslide very worrying.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

In the case of Engineering/IT people from India they are not hired because they are worthless.

I work for a Uni in the Engineering Faculty and all of the academics hate teaching the Indians. They are typically lazy, argumentative and when they dont get their way they will often attempt to bribe someone. And they wonder why they contribute massively to the underemployed populace of Australia.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
In the case of Engineering/IT people from India they are not hired because they are worthless.

I work for a Uni in the Engineering Faculty and all of the academics hate teaching the Indians. They are typically lazy, argumentative and when they dont get their way they will often attempt to bribe someone. And they wonder why they contribute massively to the underemployed populace of Australia.
You forgot to mention arrogant, like the clown from another thread who's one and only line is the whole of Australia is about to be invaded by Indian workers taking everyone job because the are more efficient.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:15 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked with a few Indians but I've seen many more Cowboys.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 2:37 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue1964
Yes there is one but goverment won't admit.I work in retail and been a huge downslide very worrying.
If the retail sector is suffering they're bringing it upon themselves. The Aussie dollar is the strongest it has been for a long time, yet imported goods don't see any significant drops, if any at all.

Why buy local and get ripped off? My wife buys contact lenses over the web and despite being despatched all the way from the Netherlands, costs half the price as buying the exact same brand over here.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

GARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really nice

You are complaining about the Indian and Pakistan workers, wait until you get workers from some of the EEC country's, I am an British trained pipe fitter served a 5 year apprenticeship, like thousands of my fellow workers is being forced out of work by cheap foreign labour, many have no skills what so ever, and as for being apprentice trained, not in a million years.majority never heard of an apprenticeship, let alone worked as one. what are the Australian unions doing to prevent it happening .
I have noticed about many employers here complaining about hiring poor workers, remember the saying if you pay peanuts you will only get monkeys working for you
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GARRYP1302
You are complaining about the Indian and Pakistan workers, wait until you get workers from some of the EEC country's, I am an British trained pipe fitter served a 5 year apprenticeship, like thousands of my fellow workers is being forced out of work by cheap foreign labour, many have no skills what so ever, and as for being apprentice trained, not in a million years.majority never heard of an apprenticeship, let alone worked as one. what are the Australian unions doing to prevent it happening .
I have noticed about many employers here complaining about hiring poor workers, remember the saying if you pay peanuts you will only get monkeys working for you
Should be covered by the Award wages system, with a minimum payscale in place. At present the wages cannot legally be brought down, especially in the cases of TTrades.

Hopefully the Award wages system will be enough of a buffer against any threat of lowering wages across the main workforce.

Another reason why we can thank our Lucky stars that the liberals came undone at the last election over their Workchoices agenda.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Another reason why we can thank our Lucky stars that the liberals came undone at the last election over their Workchoices agenda.
And yet Gillard is about to bankrupt the country and force jobs overseas...
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:53 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
From the mouths of 2 very decent engineering people......we've lived apart for 8 months as we were unable successfully find engineering/mechanical work. We've looked between the Gold Coast and Gladstone and inland too, so a fairly large area. Before Aus, I've only ever been unemployed for a week, which was my choice, I freelanced and had more than ample job offers.

The job I am in is very unsafe, as of today we've decided to throw in the towel. I'm handing in my notice this aft, meeting the hubby in Melbourne next week and then we're both doing a road trip back up to our business in the country.

Defeat it is, but at least we gave it a damn good try. Fed up of being skint and apart.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshviking
From the mouths of 2 very decent engineering people......we've lived apart for 8 months as we were unable successfully find engineering/mechanical work. We've looked between the Gold Coast and Gladstone and inland too, so a fairly large area. Before Aus, I've only ever been unemployed for a week, which was my choice, I freelanced and had more than ample job offers.

The job I am in is very unsafe, as of today we've decided to throw in the towel. I'm handing in my notice this aft, meeting the hubby in Melbourne next week and then we're both doing a road trip back up to our business in the country.

Defeat it is, but at least we gave it a damn good try. Fed up of being skint and apart.
Wishing you both the best.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by welshviking

Have you not tried Brisbane? That place is going crazy trying to hire people for coal mines and coal seam gas LNG jobs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.