Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recent shipping quotes and information - Leeds to Sydney

Recent shipping quotes and information - Leeds to Sydney

Old Oct 9th 2006, 2:02 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recent shipping quotes and information - Leeds to Sydney

Hi All,

For those of you starting to look at shipping costs, below is some information and prices I've compiled based on our recent experiences.

We contacted seven companies’ in total which, with the benefit of hindsight, was too many! Not that we ever plan to do this again but 3-4 maximum would have been enough. Based on those we saw, our top 'three' were Crown, Allied Pickfords and Doree Bonner.

All quotes based on sole use of 20’ container Leeds to Sydney in Oct/Nov 06.

Crown = £4499.00 (but matched Pickfords plus 4 weeks free UK storage and 1 week free in Sydney. Marine Insurance 3% of total insured
Allied Pickfords = £4296.00 plus 4 weeks free UK storage. Marine Insurance 3.5% of total insured
Doree Bonner = £4015.00 plus 4 weeks free UK storage. Marine Insurance 2.5% of total insured
John Mason = £3565.00 plus 4 weeks free UK storage. Marine Insurance 3% of total insured
PSS = £3518.00 plus 7 days free UK storage. Marine Insurance 3.5% of total insured
Britannia = £3890.00 – no storage mentioned. Marine Insurance not known
Overs International = they left message to cancel the day before appointment and did not call back to reschedule (so boll*cks to them! )

Useful stuff we found out that might help others:

Quotes
Most companies' will discount on price in order to be competitive. Never accept a first quote and always go back and ask for their best price.

Storage
Much cheaper to store in UK prior to shipping than in Oz, which we were surprised about. Most companies will offer up to 4 weeks free UK storage if required – but we had to ask for it!

Paying by Credit Card
Ask about payment options as most companies’ levy an additional fee if you pay by credit card.

Other Costs
Check the quote includes GST, Taxes and AQIS Charges to ensure you are comparing quotes on a like-for-like basis. Also ask about charges for container cleaning – some include in cost whilst others levy an additional one-off payment. Ask about any additional charges not included in the quote.

Packing/Loading
If you use the company to pack your stuff, check if the packers are employed by the company or whether they are sub-contractors. Ask what packing materials used - most are very similar but one company only use two sizes of boxes, which we found bizarre.

Not all companies load your stuff into the container outside your house – some will take your packed boxes back to their local depot for loading into a container. This is important to check if security is a key factor for you, and you want to see your goods loaded and sealed into the container outside your house. If your stuff is being loaded at a depot, check if it’s possible for you to be present when this happens.

Marine Insurance
Insurance charges varied between 2.5% to 3.5% of total insured but most will discount on this if you ask, however always consider organising it yourself through Lytton Percival as much cheaper. When calculating replacement costs, make sure you base on Oz prices and convert back to sterling

Delivery and Delivery Area
All offered free delivery within 30km radius of Sydney Port. Check charges if you’re likely to be further out. Which company will be handling your stuff at the other end and will you have a dedicated point of contact in Oz dealing with you?

Last edited by Nicky & Dave; Oct 9th 2006 at 2:11 pm. Reason: Added a bit.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Recent shipping quotes and information - Leeds to Sydney

Thanks for your very informative post. We are just starting to look into the shipping side, hoping to go to Perth in Jan/Feb 07. Found this info really useful. Would not of considered some of the points you raised.
By the way where abouts in Leeds are you, I was born and bred in Garforth, still have all my family up there, in fact coming up in 2 weeks!
Good luck with the move, Nicky
Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Recent shipping quotes and information - Leeds to Sydney

Hi I am shipping a few boxes and was told around £100 a cubic meter by Mike at Independent Frieght Services based in Wakefield, west yorkshire, their number is 01924 267177,has a website butis no good ,you can't work out anything from it.They have been very helpfull with all of my phone calls ,giving advice and prices.
By the way,I just got back from Garforth tonight,been seeing my uncle,he lives there.
Cheers Lorri
Old Oct 10th 2006, 4:24 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by supersonic4
Hi I am shipping a few boxes and was told around £100 a cubic meter by Mike at Independent Frieght Services based in Wakefield, west yorkshire, their number is 01924 267177,has a website butis no good ,you can't work out anything from it.They have been very helpfull with all of my phone calls ,giving advice and prices.
By the way,I just got back from Garforth tonight,been seeing my uncle,he lives there.
Cheers Lorri
Hi Lori, thanks for this as we also need to send a couple of boxes of stuff ahead to be there when we arrive.

Nicky
Old Oct 10th 2006, 4:40 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Nicky,

Any reason why John Mason weren't in your top three ? Lots of people use them, and their price appears cheaper than the others.

http://www.evl.co.uk/ also appear to be coming up lots lately at around £3K for 20ft

Ia
Old Oct 10th 2006, 4:59 am
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by datamile
Nicky,

Any reason why John Mason weren't in your top three ? Lots of people use them, and their price appears cheaper than the others.

http://www.evl.co.uk/ also appear to be coming up lots lately at around £3K for 20ft

Ia
Yes, I agree Masons have a very good reputation on here, which is why we got them in to quote. But we weren't just going on cost, and based on our selection criteria, we personally only rated Masons as an average in terms of service when compared to the other three.

Nicky
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

sunshine dreamer has a brilliant futuresunshine dreamer has a brilliant futuresunshine dreamer has a brilliant futuresunshine dreamer has a brilliant futuresunshine dreamer has a brilliant futuresunshine dreamer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Hi All,

For those of you starting to look at shipping costs, below is some information and prices I've compiled based on our recent experiences.

We contacted seven companies’ in total which, with the benefit of hindsight, was too many! Not that we ever plan to do this again but 3-4 maximum would have been enough. Based on those we saw, our top 'three' were Crown, Allied Pickfords and Doree Bonner.

All quotes based on sole use of 20’ container Leeds to Sydney in Oct/Nov 06.

Crown = £4499.00 (but matched Pickfords plus 4 weeks free UK storage and 1 week free in Sydney. Marine Insurance 3% of total insured
Allied Pickfords = £4296.00 plus 4 weeks free UK storage. Marine Insurance 3.5% of total insured
Doree Bonner = £4015.00 plus 4 weeks free UK storage. Marine Insurance 2.5% of total insured
John Mason = £3565.00 plus 4 weeks free UK storage. Marine Insurance 3% of total insured
PSS = £3518.00 plus 7 days free UK storage. Marine Insurance 3.5% of total insured
Britannia = £3890.00 – no storage mentioned. Marine Insurance not known
Overs International = they left message to cancel the day before appointment and did not call back to reschedule (so boll*cks to them! )

Useful stuff we found out that might help others:

Quotes
Most companies' will discount on price in order to be competitive. Never accept a first quote and always go back and ask for their best price.

Storage
Much cheaper to store in UK prior to shipping than in Oz, which we were surprised about. Most companies will offer up to 4 weeks free UK storage if required – but we had to ask for it!

Paying by Credit Card
Ask about payment options as most companies’ levy an additional fee if you pay by credit card.

Other Costs
Check the quote includes GST, Taxes and AQIS Charges to ensure you are comparing quotes on a like-for-like basis. Also ask about charges for container cleaning – some include in cost whilst others levy an additional one-off payment. Ask about any additional charges not included in the quote.

Packing/Loading
If you use the company to pack your stuff, check if the packers are employed by the company or whether they are sub-contractors. Ask what packing materials used - most are very similar but one company only use two sizes of boxes, which we found bizarre.

Not all companies load your stuff into the container outside your house – some will take your packed boxes back to their local depot for loading into a container. This is important to check if security is a key factor for you, and you want to see your goods loaded and sealed into the container outside your house. If your stuff is being loaded at a depot, check if it’s possible for you to be present when this happens.

Marine Insurance
Insurance charges varied between 2.5% to 3.5% of total insured but most will discount on this if you ask, however always consider organising it yourself through Lytton Percival as much cheaper. When calculating replacement costs, make sure you base on Oz prices and convert back to sterling

Delivery and Delivery Area
All offered free delivery within 30km radius of Sydney Port. Check charges if you’re likely to be further out. Which company will be handling your stuff at the other end and will you have a dedicated point of contact in Oz dealing with you?

Very informative post. Thank you for taking the time to put this on for others to benefit. We are in the process of getting quotes, and found your comments very helpful.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

scoobie is just really nicescoobie is just really nicescoobie is just really nicescoobie is just really nicescoobie is just really nicescoobie is just really nicescoobie is just really nicescoobie is just really nice

Originally Posted by leechy100
Thanks for your very informative post. We are just starting to look into the shipping side, hoping to go to Perth in Jan/Feb 07. Found this info really useful. Would not of considered some of the points you raised.
By the way where abouts in Leeds are you, I was born and bred in Garforth, still have all my family up there, in fact coming up in 2 weeks!
Good luck with the move, Nicky
hi leechy saw your reply i lived in garforth for 19 years coupland road just off main st . looking to go to Brisbane next June on a 136 visa.with the wife and a "grom" (3)
scoobie