Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recent Quotes for Shipping?

Recent Quotes for Shipping?

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent Quotes for Shipping?

OK, just received quotes from John Masons (£3968) and PSS (£4025), both seem more expensive than other people have received.

Maybe we should setup a buying group on here, ie we all club together and approach these companies and insist on the best price. Whoever comes back with the best price (and with a decent reputation) gets the work. There's maybe hundreds of people on here needing shipping, there must be some bargaining power somewhere.

It seems a little bit crazy that we are all ringing these people up and getting different prices when in effect we all want the same thing.

BTW Crown will not quote without AQIS, does anyone know how much AQIS is?
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

jimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
OK, just received quotes from John Masons (£3968) and PSS (£4025), both seem more expensive than other people have received.

Maybe we should setup a buying group on here, ie we all club together and approach these companies and insist on the best price. Whoever comes back with the best price (and with a decent reputation) gets the work. There's maybe hundreds of people on here needing shipping, there must be some bargaining power somewhere.

It seems a little bit crazy that we are all ringing these people up and getting different prices when in effect we all want the same thing.

BTW Crown will not quote without AQIS, does anyone know how much AQIS is?
I can't decide between Crown and PSS. AQIS is £200.00 and Crown included it in our quote. I am swaying towards Crown because they have a place in Scotland.

Margaret
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

As an update I have just received this email from Crown (names removed)

"Dear Kevin, Thank you for your email. I have just spoken with our Branch Manager, he has confirmed these would be our approximate indicative rates for a 20ft container. He understands you have other options available and we would like to wish you good luck with which ever company you select.

Have a good weekend"

Well Crown can stick their services where the sun doesn't shine, they quote £5200+ and wonder why I have questioned it. What a crap company!!

Old Feb 6th 2006, 4:24 am
Just Joined

TonyMc is a jewel in the roughTonyMc is a jewel in the roughTonyMc is a jewel in the roughTonyMc is a jewel in the rough

Hi
We are presently getting quotes in for shipping our stuff from Suffolk to the Sunshine Coast. We had a bit of a shock today when Crown quoted us £5245 + 4.2% for insurance (for a sole use 20' container), they quoted this without coming to see us (seemed reluctant to send someone out)

Does anyone have a recent quote so we can compare? we are waiting for John Mason's to come back and we have a quote from a local company for £3750 (for 1200 cu ft)

We used Masons to ove from the North East to Brisbane and the sales guy was really helpful, although thats what we thought. A sales guy he was and he told us what we wanted to hear " we are the best, we dont subcontract, you dont need to use our insurance, we use expert packers blah blah blah". Well when our stuff did arrive it was in a terrible mess. The local company (Wridgeways) actually said " this was packed by a set of amateurs". One thing that was alarming was they packed one of thier old blankets which they put on the floor so as they do not dirty your carpets as they pack your stuff, if customs had found this WE would of had to foot the bill. We complained to masons and recieved a snotty email from some jumped up little Quality Control Manager, he basically said - you did not take our insuance so forget it. I know only material things were damaged but my wife and I worked bloody hard for those things.
So dont listen to the lies from sales men and go with somebody else is my advise.

Tony
Old Feb 6th 2006, 7:39 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

I've got Anglo Pacific coming tomorrow,so we'll see what they say...
Old Feb 6th 2006, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Well I think I'm going with my local company (Glasswells), they have now quoted £3600 including insurance. I would highly recommend them if anyone is interested (they don't only do local stuff). Their website is http://www.glasswellsremovals.co.uk/international.htm
The guys name is Lez and he is a top geezer!!
Old Feb 6th 2006, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Graham67 is on a distinguished road

Who!!! Have you read some of the past threads on here regarding ***** ********. Some horror stories and well worth taking others advice and steer clear. I had them out the salesman was very good and I would have given him my business, that was until I started checking out some of the past comments posted on this site. Think we will go with Crown. Not the cheapest but in reality who do you use, one seams to be as bad as the other. Lucky dip. Good luck on your choice.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

The_Stockwells is a jewel in the roughThe_Stockwells is a jewel in the roughThe_Stockwells is a jewel in the roughThe_Stockwells is a jewel in the rough

There are so many threads on this site about removal companies, I'd do a search and check them all out.

I got quotes Anglo Pacific, Excess, Doree Bonner and one other. I couldn't decide between Excess and DB who both said that they'd drop their prices to get the job. I then came on this site and searched past threads and saw that Crown were rated the best out of experiences that people had had using them.

So, I got a quote from them and they were around the same price but included AQIS charges. Their insurance was higher at 3.5% though so I said I'd go with them if they drop their insurance charges and they did, to 2.5%.

I dedcided to go with Crown because of the good feedback and because they have a local office in Adelaide. I hope our move goes well - I'll post the outcome once we get to Oz and get our container!

One of the bosses of Crown quite regularly posts on this site and reads comments so if you're having a problem with them, I'd do a search on here and drop him an email.

Hi
We are presently getting quotes in for shipping our stuff from Suffolk to the Sunshine Coast. We had a bit of a shock today when Crown quoted us £5245 + 4.2% for insurance (for a sole use 20' container), they quoted this without coming to see us (seemed reluctant to send someone out)

Does anyone have a recent quote so we can compare? we are waiting for John Mason's to come back and we have a quote from a local company for £3750 (for 1200 cu ft)
Old Feb 6th 2006, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

Hi

We had exactly the same kind of non-service from Crown and the same quote, which I thought was extortionate. Someone from Excess International got back to us immediately, arranged to come and measure up, and we got the quote - £2600 ish - for 615 cubic f within a few days. Much better service. Anyone else used them? If so, how do you rate them?
Old Feb 6th 2006, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

elaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by orange&
We had exactly the same kind of non-service from Crown and the same quote, which I thought was extortionate. Someone from Excess International got back to us immediately, arranged to come and measure up, and we got the quote - £2600 ish - for 615 cubic f within a few days. Much better service. Anyone else used them? If so, how do you rate them?
Hi orange&
Thought i would jump on this bandwagon. We are hoping to leave for Perth in about 4 or 5 weeks and are currently getting in quotes for furniture transportation. We are taking approx 580 cubic feet and have been quoted as follows:- John mason---2577
Brittania------2693
Crown--------3158
we are still waiting for another 2 to come. This is in a shared container.
Wondering what other people think of these quotes.
All advise gratefully received.
Elaine xxx
Old Feb 6th 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by elaine&graham
Hi orange&
Thought i would jump on this bandwagon. We are hoping to leave for Perth in about 4 or 5 weeks and are currently getting in quotes for furniture transportation. We are taking approx 580 cubic feet and have been quoted as follows:- John mason---2577
Brittania------2693
Crown--------3158
we are still waiting for another 2 to come. This is in a shared container.
Wondering what other people think of these quotes.
All advise gratefully received.
Elaine xxx

Hi Elaine. I was told that the current cost per cubic foot is around £4.40 with Excess International (that makes it £2552 for 580 c f). Everything included except the following: insurance, removal/cleaning of goods by customs (if necessary). There will also be an extra delivery charge in Oz if you don't live on the ground floor. Apart from that, quite reasonable.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

elaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant futureelaine&graham has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by orange&
Hi Elaine. I was told that the current cost per cubic foot is around £4.40 with Excess International (that makes it £2552 for 580 c f). Everything included except the following: insurance, removal/cleaning of goods by customs (if necessary). There will also be an extra delivery charge in Oz if you don't live on the ground floor. Apart from that, quite reasonable.
Hi again orange&

thanks for the info, that makes things a lot clearer, those prices dont sound too bad now. When we receive the other two we will make a decision.

Thanks once again.

Elaine xxx
Old Feb 6th 2006, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

peanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nice

Hi Kev

I got a quote from Frieght world who are a shipping company not a removals company and they will pack it and ship it from my house in sheffield to brisbane port for £1450. This does not include insurance or AIQS fees once in Brisbane.

I have also been told that every container has to stop at the port and can only be taken out after being checked I also have to pay to get it to my new home wherever that may be.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Location: UK to Crete, Back to UK and moved to Perth in March 2006 - yippee! Loving it!!!
adenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Graham67
Think they are taking the piss mate. I had Crown out last week. For a 20ft sole use Scotland to Perth they quoted £4100.00 + insurance at 3%. Are you shipping rare jewels or something. Think Insurance rate varies according to what you are shipping????? Also around £600 to ship my motorcycle. £3750 sound a little more like it. Good luck.
We've been quoted £3500 door to door for full wrap and pack service in a sole use 20ft container with BRITANNIA (HARRISON & ROWLEY). 3% on the insurance and are happy with that. Check out the cheaper insurance as we found a loophole that worried the pants off us - no cover if the container falls off the loading dock or ship!!

Good luck.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 11:07 am
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Graham67
Think they are taking the piss mate. I had Crown out last week. For a 20ft sole use Scotland to Perth they quoted £4100.00 + insurance at 3%. Are you shipping rare jewels or something. Think Insurance rate varies according to what you are shipping????? Also around £600 to ship my motorcycle. £3750 sound a little more like it. Good luck.

Try Anglo-Pacific - saw one of their men last week at a meeting and he told us that they would try and match prices with other companies as long as the other companies were covered by FIDI and BAR. (tel 020 8838 8081)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.