British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Recent Quotes for Shipping? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/recent-quotes-shipping-352519/)

kevinbloomfield Feb 2nd 2006 3:40 pm

Recent Quotes for Shipping?

Hi
We are presently getting quotes in for shipping our stuff from Suffolk to the Sunshine Coast. We had a bit of a shock today when Crown quoted us £5245 + 4.2% for insurance (for a sole use 20' container), they quoted this without coming to see us (seemed reluctant to send someone out)

Does anyone have a recent quote so we can compare? we are waiting for John Mason's to come back and we have a quote from a local company for £3750 (for 1200 cu ft)

tinkerbell Feb 2nd 2006 3:55 pm

Re: Recent Quotes for Shipping?

hi Kevin,

we've just had PSS round, and their quote is £3777.00. This is for sole use of a 20 foot container, door to door going to Brisbane and i think their insurance is either 2.5 or 2.9%, cant remember.

happy with this at the mo, as have had other quotes around the same price, but the insurance was way more.

happymum Feb 2nd 2006 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Hi
We are presently getting quotes in for shipping our stuff from Suffolk to the Sunshine Coast. We had a bit of a shock today when Crown quoted us £5245 + 4.2% for insurance (for a sole use 20' container), they quoted this without coming to see us (seemed reluctant to send someone out)

Does anyone have a recent quote so we can compare? we are waiting for John Mason's to come back and we have a quote from a local company for £3750 (for 1200 cu ft)

We also had an electronic quote from crown w ho were also reluctant to come out. I'm sure they must lose a lot of business this way. Anyway, I'm pretty sure from reading here they're known to be more expensive than the others. Whereas Masons seem to have competitive prices and a very good reputation. So make sure you get Masons around in person, should be a more reasonable quote. And we have PSS around, too, who very good and competitive. Sorry I don't thave the figures to hand, having a tricky day with our toddler, but if I get the chance later, I'll add them in. Basically PSS pickfords and Masons were all roughly the same, Crown a good 1000 more!

Rob Morton-Jone Feb 2nd 2006 4:38 pm

Hi Kev,

Think it would be cheaper for me and you to charter a boat betwen us :)

We are using PSS, and for a 40ft container (Trish has got loads of shoes), from door to door, they are charging us 6500

Hope that helps

Rob

Hi

happymum Feb 2nd 2006 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by tinkerbell
hi Kevin,

we've just had PSS round, and their quote is £3777.00. This is for sole use of a 20 foot container, door to door going to Brisbane and i think their insurance is either 2.5 or 2.9%, cant remember.

happy with this at the mo, as have had other quotes around the same price, but the insurance was way more.

I know that letton percival do insurance at 1.5% and were very helpful and professional when I talked to them. So perhaps give them a thought, too.

lucyb Feb 2nd 2006 5:22 pm

We are using John Mason's. SOle use of 20 foot container door to door...£3250.

kevinbloomfield Feb 2nd 2006 5:48 pm

Thanks everyone.

Rob, you should have binned all of those shoes, she'll only need sandles on the Gold Coast!!

So far I have had a local company round (Glasswells) who have quoted £3750 for 1200 cu ft, also had John Mason's - quote hasn't arrived yet and PSS the same. I've just received an email from Crown saying that if their quote is too high then maybe we are wasting each others time!! bloody excellent customer service (not)

So it looks like it is between the local company and the other 2, I don't think I'll bother with Crown as they obviously have ideas above their station :-))

sreeby Feb 2nd 2006 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by lucyb

Hi just sent off visa app,but been looking around and these guys come highly recomended on this site http://www.excess-baggage.com

Tiawamutu Feb 2nd 2006 8:45 pm

Why didn't I get all this feedback for my enquiry about a sole use 20ft container :confused:

jimarg Feb 2nd 2006 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by happymum
We also had an electronic quote from crown w ho were also reluctant to come out. I'm sure they must lose a lot of business this way. Anyway, I'm pretty sure from reading here they're known to be more expensive than the others. Whereas Masons seem to have competitive prices and a very good reputation. So make sure you get Masons around in person, should be a more reasonable quote. And we have PSS around, too, who very good and competitive. Sorry I don't thave the figures to hand, having a tricky day with our toddler, but if I get the chance later, I'll add them in. Basically PSS pickfords and Masons were all roughly the same, Crown a good 1000 more!

We are the opposite John Mason made an appointment to come then cancelled but Crown came around and we are thinking of going with them, like the idea that they have a office in Melbourne. Insurnace is £% so thinking of insuring with Letton Percival @ 1.53%.

Margaret

Gravyman Feb 2nd 2006 8:56 pm

Hi

Hi Kevin

We've had 8 people coming to give us quotes and had all but 2 come round. Of the quotes we've had back the cheapest has been 3400 and the most expensive is 4300.
Still got a few more to come in yet.

Out of all the removals we didn't get Crown.

Graham

Gravyman Feb 2nd 2006 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by lucyb

Hi Lucy

They quoted us £4300. Can't believe the difference.

Graham

LesleyM Feb 2nd 2006 9:01 pm

We are using Excess. It might be worth getting a quote from them. They will also send someone out to give you a quote. You need to give them 2 weeks notice if you want someone to come out. We aren't taking a full container though and only a few pieces of furniture and the rest boxes.

Pete-danns Feb 2nd 2006 9:29 pm

So far only John Masons @ £3,750

Sole use of 20ft, NW London - Gold Coast door to door.

We've got Crown coming in a few weeks, but am expecting higher.

You never know tho.

Graham67 Feb 2nd 2006 11:11 pm

Think they are taking the piss mate. I had Crown out last week. For a 20ft sole use Scotland to Perth they quoted £4100.00 + insurance at 3%. Are you shipping rare jewels or something. Think Insurance rate varies according to what you are shipping????? Also around £600 to ship my motorcycle. £3750 sound a little more like it. Good luck.