Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reccy tripe Part 2 - Adelaide

Reccy tripe Part 2 - Adelaide

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

cammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the rough
Default Reccy trip Part 2 - Adelaide

I posted my first part of our recent reccy trip a couple of weeks ago and now that life is back to "normal" I thought I'd put up a few details about Adelaide.

We had pre booked Virgin Blue flights from Sydney to Adelaide from the UK for about $99 each way per person and the flights were OK. The cabin crew were fun, especially with the entertaining of our children, and the flights were similar to Easy Jet.

We arrived in Adelaide in the middle of a thunderstorm and went to our pre booked accom, which was the Brighton Caravan Park. I must say before I go on that it is a nice park, but my little 10 month old boy had a bad chest infection - two trips to the docks and steroids in Adelaide, and as soon as we got to our cabin we knew it wasn't good for him. I had to go back, tell the owners we were moving on, ask for a refund which was given except one nights deposit. They were very good about it and I was v. embaressed, but my little lad comes first.

We booked an apartment through the tourist info and got a good deal for a three bed central apartment for $160 per night. It was warm and cosy and just what we needed.

Adelaide is a very pretty place. We visited Glenelg, Adelaide Hills and a lot of other things. It is quiet though, especially after we had spent a week in Sydney and although we liked it as a place we decided fairly quickly it wasn't for us. We enjoyed a few more days holiday before heading back to Sydney, where I had a job offer to find places to stay.

Not before we went to Henley Beach.
It is a simply amazing place with a long beach which was deserted. While we were walking along the beach I saw ahead of us a group odf three people standing over something.

I stopped the kids from running ahead and went to investigate. Just as well! It was a dead body which had only just been found. There were soon police and TV were everywhere, On the news that night they said it was an elderly lady who had fallen from the jetty five minutes away and must have passed out on impact with the water and drowned. What a shame. Poor woman.

This did not put us off Adelaide though and although it was not for us it we could see it would be a great place to bring up children and it was cheaper than Sydney and very affordable. The parks and the way the centre of the city is laid out near the botanic gardens really made us think that maybe we were silly dismissing it so easily.

We came back to Sydney and stayed at the Pacific in Manley as a treat for a week. What a week it was, sun, sea and another job offer. We knew that Sydeny was for us. While at Manly we saw schoolkids having lunch and volleyball lessons on the beach and one day classes of children having surf awareness training. Our kids would love that!

It is all so different now we are back in the UK. When we were in Oz we said yes we MUST go for it, but now we are back in our happy life in the UK it seems like a huge deal to leave our friends and family and jobs and security. We knew it would be like this and we have to keep reminding ourselves of why we want the adventure of sampling Aussie life.

I am opening contract negotiations in January with a view to getting out late UK summer so we have time to decide.

I hope this helps someone and if anybody has any questions about travelling with small kids or where to stay or hire cars just ask.

Last edited by cammym; Nov 23rd 2004 at 8:27 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reccy tripe Part 2 - Adelaide

Originally Posted by cammym
I posted my first part of our recent reccy trip a couple of weeks ago and now that life is back to "normal" I thought I'd put up a few details about Adelaide.

We had pre booked Virgin Blue flights from Sydney to Adelaide from the UK for about $99 each way per person and the flights were OK. The cabin crew were fun, especially with the entertaining of our children, and the flights were similar to Easy Jet.

We arrived in Adelaide in the middle of a thunderstorm and went to our pre booked accom, which was the Brighton Caravan Park. I must say before I go on that it is a nice park, but my little 10 month old boy had a bad chest infection - two trips to the docks and steroids in Adelaide, and as soon as we got to our cabin we knew it wasn't good for him. I had to go back, tell the owners we were moving on, ask for a refund which was given except one nights deposit. They were very good about it and I was v. embaressed, but my little lad comes first.

We booked an apartment through the tourist info and got a good deal for a three bed central apartment for $160 per night. It was warm and cosy and just what we needed.

Adelaide is a very pretty place. We visited Glenelg, Adelaide Hills and a lot of other things. It is quiet though, especially after we had spent a week in Sydney and although we liked it as a place we decided fairly quickly it wasn't for us. We enjoyed a few more days holiday before heading back to Sydney, where I had a job offer to find places to stay.

Not before we went to Henley Beach.
It is a simply amazing place with a long beach which was deserted. While we were walking along the beach I saw ahead of us a group odf three people standing over something.

I stopped the kids from running ahead and went to investigate. Just as well! It was a dead body which had only just been found. There were soon police and TV were everywhere, On the news that night they said it was an elderly lady who had fallen from the jetty five minutes away and must have passed out on impact with the water and drowned. What a shame. Poor woman.

This did not put us off Adelaide though and although it was not for us it we could see it would be a great place to bring up children and it was cheaper than Sydney and very affordable. The parks and the way the centre of the city is laid out near the botanic gardens really made us think that maybe we were silly dismissing it so easily.

We came back to Sydney and stayed at the Pacific in Manley as a treat for a week. What a week it was, sun, sea and another job offer. We knew that Sydeny was for us. While at Manly we saw schoolkids having lunch and volleyball lessons on the beach and one day classes of children having surf awareness training. Our kids would love that!

It is all so different now we are back in the UK. When we were in Oz we said yes we MUST go for it, but now we are back in our happy life in the UK it seems like a huge deal to leave our friends and family and jobs and security. We knew it would be like this and we have to keep reminding ourselves of why we want the adventure of sampling Aussie life.

I am opening contract negotiations in January with a view to getting out late UK summer so we have time to decide.

I hope this helps someone and if anybody has any questions about travelling with small kids or where to stay or hire cars just ask.
Wombat 42 will tell you a thing or two about the dead bodies in Adelaide....

Glad you had a good time, corpses and all.....
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:33 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Wombat 42 will tell you a thing or two about the dead bodies in Adelaide....

Glad you had a good time, corpses and all.....
Yes l can. Adelaide is often called " the city of corpses" because of the large number of bizarre serial killings that go on there, the most recent was the snowtown killings also known as 'the bodies in the barrels case' .
Adelaide seems like the type of place Hannibal Lecture would like to live :scared:
Read the link below.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k..._1.html?sect=3

Last edited by wombat42; Nov 23rd 2004 at 8:46 pm.

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wombat42
Yes l can. Adelaide is often called " the city of corpses" because of the large number of bizarre serial killings that go on there, the most recent was the snowtown killings also known as 'the bodies in the barrels case' .
Adelaide seems like the type of place Hannibal Lecture would like to live :scared:
Read the link below.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k..._1.html?sect=3

Oh my God, We should be going to Adelaide next year :scared:
interesting reading though.

Di