Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reccy Trip to Brisbane - Things You Must Do

Reccy Trip to Brisbane - Things You Must Do

Old Jan 29th 2005, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Reccy Trip to Brisbane - Things You Must Do

Hey everyone,

guess what? My husband is on a reccy trip to Brissie in March too. He's staying with his Sister who has been there quite a few years.

We have taken a long time even to get to this stage of having a look round. The big sticking point about us going to live in Oz is leaving my Mum and Dad in England. I feel strange and emotional just thinking about it.

Anyway, does anyone know of any decent primary schools around outer South Brisbane as I have a 4 year old son and a 5 year old daughter. I want my hubbie to go and have a look at the schools as this is also a really big part of it.

Poor husband - I have said it is now on him to make the final decision as I cannot make my mind up! (I think I am just a chicken at heart!) Decisions, decisions, eh?

Cheers
Old Jan 30th 2005, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Reccy Trip to Brisbane - Things You Must Do

Originally Posted by joeyb
Hey everyone,

guess what? My husband is on a reccy trip to Brissie in March too.
Poor husband - I have said it is now on him to make the final decision as I cannot make my mind up! (I think I am just a chicken at heart!) Decisions, decisions, eh? Cheers
Hi,
It is quite a task for the one person going out alone. I have not been on a holiday before without my wife but I think I know our family's likes and dislikes well enough by now to be able to make a decision. At least I wont have to bother if my clothes are colour co-ordinated or not (only joking luv ).
If I return to the UK (who knows I may just stay there ) with a decision then I think the pressure is on my other half to accept it even though it may not one she wants to hear.

For info: I am flying out from Manchester on 28/3. Is anyone else doing the same?
Richard
Old Jan 30th 2005, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Red face Re: Reccy Trip to Brisbane - Things You Must Do

Originally Posted by RAG62
Hi Lynn,
Not wishing to be a killjoy but I am trying to look at things objectively. I think some things will be better and not others. I don't know your personal circs, but for me the UK is good and I would recommend it to others. I am hoping the Aus will be better But if I think it is not going to be right for us as a family then I will have to bite the bullet and stay here. It's easy to get carried away with the visa app process and lose sight of reality. Big decisons - give it careful thought. That's why I'm doing a reccy trip.

Richard
Hi Richard !
How are you ?
As you know we had never been to Australia before and moved out here in November.I know your not really doing this trip as a final descion maker for you and yours because I know all the visa stuff you've been working on BUT I don't think you can honestly say after a 2 week visit that it's definitely NOT for your family.If you were to decide that by yourself , after all the build up , do you not think your missuss would want to check it out for herself regardless ?
If you continue to persue your "dream" and get your visas granted (which must be just around the corner now ) are you really going to let them sit in drawer and not use them because of a 2 week trip ?
We decided against a before hand trip because we were in this together and just because John said the house was nice and the neighbourhood good I would still want to see it for myself anyway , so nothing really productive would have come out of it.We kept the money and spent it when we got here.
We've now been here 12 weeks and I love it But I do admit to missing friends and familiar things. If I had to make a descion on a 2 week trip we would have never come out , honestly.It IS a big thing but until you've done it I don't think you can really know whats right for you.
Sorry if I picked you up wrong , but it's what I think.
All the best , Stay in touch ,
Tass.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

RAG62 will become famous soon enoughRAG62 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Reccy Trip to Brisbane - Things You Must Do

Hi Tass
I'm fine and getting excited about the prospect of moving and my reccy trip. I am really pleased that you are liking it down under. I reckon it can be 10 yrs before you will feel fully integrated/settled.

This is not an easy topic and you're right, that 2 weeks is not a true indicator of whether it will be right for us. However I do feel that it will be long enough for me to decide that this place is a definite "No No" and is not for us. It isn't long enough for us to decide that it will work and be the best thing for us in the long run. I don't think we will know that for many years to come.

For me this trip is at least going to tell me that we can make a real go of it and our family will be suited to the QLD environment.

Gill & I have discussed what would happen if I said it was a No, No and accept that we would have to regard it as an end to the matter and enable us to give it some closure and decide what we will do when we stay in the UK - something would have to change.

After all, if I thought it would not be right for me and Gill thought it woud be right for her (or vice versa) I think we would stay in the UK - it's got to be "all for one. or one for all"

Richard