Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To reccy - or not to reccy, that is the question.

View Poll Results: Was a reccy the right choice for you?
We did a reccy, and are glad we reccied.
63.46%
We did a reccy, but wish we had just gone straight out.
5.77%
We did NOT do a reccy, and glad we went straight out.
25.00%
We did NOT do a reccy, but wish we HAD done a reccy.
5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

To reccy - or not to reccy, that is the question.

Old Aug 26th 2006, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Default To reccy - or not to reccy, that is the question.

Hi all,

We got our visas through last week and we want to move to Melbourne. I have a few job offers, so that makes things easier - but we are giving up a very comfortable life in the UK and my partner will be giving up a job that has taken her years to get to where she wants to be in. So, it's a tough decision.

We can't decide whether to reccy - or just go. Our thoughts are that we have put so much into getting visas that we will be going at some point. We can't imagine that if we reccy, we would 'hate' the place so much that we wont move. It would be nice to reccy, just to make it less daunting when we do move, but the money we would spend on a recct could set us up for a couple of months if we just move straight out.

I would appreciate any comments from people that did and didn't reccy before they moved, and if they thought it was the right decision in hindsight.

Cheers....
Old Aug 26th 2006, 5:53 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To reccy - or not to reccy, that is the question.

Originally Posted by Techno Freak
Hi all,

We got our visas through last week and we want to move to Melbourne. I have a few job offers, so that makes things easier - but we are giving up a very comfortable life in the UK and my partner will be giving up a job that has taken her years to get to where she wants to be in. So, it's a tough decision.

We can't decide whether to reccy - or just go. Our thoughts are that we have put so much into getting visas that we will be going at some point. We can't imagine that if we reccy, we would 'hate' the place so much that we wont move. It would be nice to reccy, just to make it less daunting when we do move, but the money we would spend on a recct could set us up for a couple of months if we just move straight out.

I would appreciate any comments from people that did and didn't reccy before they moved, and if they thought it was the right decision in hindsight.

Cheers....

You kidding mate?!?!? Reccy! You'll be so much more prepared when the time comes to make the real move. I'd recommend that you spend at least a month here sussing the place out before you come if that's possible.

Good luck
Old Aug 26th 2006, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't come out before we made the move and I haven't got any regrets. I don't think that I would have liked to have to go back to the UK had we just come out for a look, but then it's been easier for us as I had someone out here to help us find our feet.

The cost of having a reccy wasn't really justifiable for us either, it has been used to furnish our house.

But we are all different so really it's a personal choice.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 7:08 am
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
We didn't come out before we made the move and I haven't got any regrets. I don't think that I would have liked to have to go back to the UK had we just come out for a look, but then it's been easier for us as I had someone out here to help us find our feet.

The cost of having a reccy wasn't really justifiable for us either, it has been used to furnish our house.

But we are all different so really it's a personal choice.

we dnt plan on doing a reccie we are just gonna go do it lol.

I have a friend out in Adelaide who between us we can hopefully we can arrange a nice rental for when we get there and we are going to as much research as possible before we go out, that coupled with all the threads that we can find on here we will be ok.

the beauty of the internet is that we can find pretty much lots and lots about everything.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 7:18 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Techno Freak
Hi all,

Cheers....
If you have the funds it would be best to do a reccie but in reality most coming over dont. They would then be best to do as much research as possible at minium cost and come with the attitude to make it work. (Most of which I have observed do and its great knowing they have made it)
Old Aug 26th 2006, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
If you have the funds it would be best to do a reccie but in reality most coming over dont. They would then be best to do as much research as possible at minium cost and come with the attitude to make it work. (Most of which I have observed do and its great knowing they have made it)
Well, we certainly have the attitiude - not so sure about the money though.

Basically, we have an 'emergency' pot of a decent size that we have had for years. We do not want to touch that at all, ( it'll no doubt end up as a deposit on a house at some point ).

Then, by the time Easter comes, we should have a pot of about £5,000. That would either get us a three week reccy - or get us there and settled. I think it comes down to a time issue, rather than a money one. We could go for a reccy, come back and then save the £5,000 again, ( about 8 months ). The pro's being that we get to do a reccy & meet prospective employers - the cons being that if we love the place, we can't afford to go straight back.

It's a tough decision that's for sure.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:22 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

We didn't do a reccie and came straight over. We'd got the visa and decided that the money spent doing a reccie would have got set up this end. We've had no regrets in doing it this way and wouldn't change anything we have done so far. It's really a personal thing and only you can make the decision, unfortunately!! Good luck.

Lorraine
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

We did our reccie end of June, only because we had no choice the house didnt sell, and we had to validate our visa, also we were under STNI visa for S/A, that was the place we did all our research for.
Then came the offer from the company my husband works that they want him to go Melbourne, to work out there, so the first 10 days we stayed, just outside Melbourne 10 mins drive from where he was working, they gave him top of the range company car, they were really looking after him, but me and the children totally hated it, it was so bad, maybe it had a lot to do with the miserable weather, jet-lag, me suffering from a cold, I dont know.
Second leg of the trip was to Adelaide, and as soon as we landed there I just liked the place, it was my type of place not too busy and not too quite.
Ok he hasn't got job offer out there. He's letting go of very highly paid job in Victoria.
So IMO you've got to do what is right for you and your family,
It did cost us £6,500, but I think it was the best £6,500 we spend.
Now we know which state is the right state for us to move to.
If we didnt do it, we would have always regret and waste a hell lot more money than £6,500.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 8:55 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
We did our reccie end of June, only because we had no choice the house didnt sell, and we had to validate our visa, also we were under STNI visa for S/A, that was the place we did all our research for.
Then came the offer from the company my husband works that they want him to go Melbourne, to work out there, so the first 10 days we stayed, just outside Melbourne 10 mins drive from where he was working, they gave him top of the range company car, they were really looking after him, but me and the children totally hated it, it was so bad, maybe it had a lot to do with the miserable weather, jet-lag, me suffering from a cold, I dont know.
Second leg of the trip was to Adelaide, and as soon as we landed there I just liked the place, it was my type of place not too busy and not too quite.
Ok he hasn't got job offer out there. He's letting go of very highly paid job in Victoria.
So IMO you've got to do what is right for you and your family,
It did cost us £6,500, but I think it was the best £6,500 we spend.
Now we know which state is the right state for us to move to.
If we didnt do it, we would have always regret and waste a hell lot more money than £6,500.

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
We didn't do a reccie and came straight over. We'd got the visa and decided that the money spent doing a reccie would have got set up this end. We've had no regrets in doing it this way and wouldn't change anything we have done so far. It's really a personal thing and only you can make the decision, unfortunately!! Good luck.

Lorraine
Good luck to both of you
Old Aug 26th 2006, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

We are going for a reccy, we originally decided to go without one but now cannot decide whether to go to Melbourne (where I have family) or Brisbane. So it will cost us alot, there are 5 of us but have decided it will be money well spent. Good luck with what you decide
Old Aug 26th 2006, 9:11 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

If you have the funds do a reccie.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 9:18 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

As everyone is in a different situation, then there is no right answer. A reccie can be good for some but for others it is merely a holiday where they get no feel for 'living' in a place. Then again, not visiting a place before emigrating is a risk as well. My foremost concern was leaving England, as averse to arriving in Australia. Therefore the reccie seemed pointless as I was going to go, whatever!! No regrets so far
Old Aug 26th 2006, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

daveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of lightdaveandkathh is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
As everyone is in a different situation, then there is no right answer. A reccie can be good for some but for others it is merely a holiday where they get no feel for 'living' in a place. Then again, not visiting a place before emigrating is a risk as well. My foremost concern was leaving England, as averse to arriving in Australia. Therefore the reccie seemed pointless as I was going to go, whatever!! No regrets so far

Do the reccie!!!!!
Our first trip to Florida, we fell in love with the place.(Been 8 times in 7 years) Tried to emigrate there, no joy. Then thought of Malta. Went on reccie and we hated the place within an hour of landing.
Now Australia is within our reach, (Just waiting for visas) we are doing our reccie in December for a month. (Brissie,Sydney,Adelaide and Melbourne) If we get the right vibe, we go. If not, then.................
All the best
Dave and Kath
Old Aug 26th 2006, 10:17 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by daveandkathh
Do the reccie!!!!!
Our first trip to Florida, we fell in love with the place.(Been 8 times in 7 years) Tried to emigrate there, no joy. Then thought of Malta. Went on reccie and we hated the place within an hour of landing.
Now Australia is within our reach, (Just waiting for visas) we are doing our reccie in December for a month. (Brissie,Sydney,Adelaide and Melbourne) If we get the right vibe, we go. If not, then.................
All the best
Dave and Kath
Florida
Malta
Brissie
Sydney
Adelaide
Melbourne

Can see the similarities
Old Aug 26th 2006, 10:27 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveandkathh
Do the reccie!!!!!
All the best
Dave and Kath
Good luck Like I said, it's different for everyone, as everyone has different reasons for moving. I came here without a reccie and have no regrets. But the advice I'd give people is be realistic about what you want from life and about your expectations from your move. If that requires them to include a reccie, then so be it, but otherwise, no worries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.