Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reccie to Perth and Adelaide...help

Reccie to Perth and Adelaide...help

Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all
Default Reccie to Perth and Adelaide...help

not long been back from our trip to Perth and Adelaide and now well and truly confused where to head for. I guess at least we liked both which is a positive.
Stayed at the Saville suites in the city which i can recommend and later in the Mounts bay water apartments which i wouldn't recommend as they were not very clean. Tried to do the usual tourist stuff to keep the kids happy rather than just all fact finding. Recommend Caversham wildlife park kids loved it.
We liked perth as it has abundance of cycle paths, clean parks, beaches, people were very friendly, nice well kept housing estates (from what we saw) A helpful estate agent gave us her views of certain area's NOR (her opinion not ours)
Connolly nice but expensive
Currambine & Kinross newish property good and affordable
Dungraig older property and expensive
Joondalup, Kingsley, Beldon, Heathridge good and affordable
Ocean reef good school but expensive, Currambine in catchment area
In her opinion Edgewater, Tapping, Wanneroo, Carramar are cheaper due to the mosquitoes from the nearby lake so avoid if you are normally mozzie food.
Spent most of the weekend visiting the open houses, which is great but does seem weird at first.
Adelaide - stayed in Glenelg at the baybeach front apartments, very nice.
Much more scenery, more like England with hills and trees. Property so much cheaper. Looked at Flagstaff hills, Happy Valley, Blackwood, Hallets Cove, liked them all. A couple of people recommended Hallets cove as they say the prices are very reasonable considering it's so close the sea and are expected rise. Blackwood very nice school from what we saw.
Adelaide did seem a lot older generation than Perth, i have never seen so many 80yr olds (I'm going to get shot down for that comment).
I could go on and on about them both, basically we are torn between the two. I like Perth but change my mind every day, daughter prefers Perth, son loves Adelaide, wife likes Adelaide.....god help us, lol.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reccie to Perth and Adelaide...help

Originally Posted by Malcs66
not long been back from our trip to Perth and Adelaide and now well and truly confused where to head for. I guess at least we liked both which is a positive.
Stayed at the Saville suites in the city which i can recommend and later in the Mounts bay water apartments which i wouldn't recommend as they were not very clean. Tried to do the usual tourist stuff to keep the kids happy rather than just all fact finding. Recommend Caversham wildlife park kids loved it.
We liked perth as it has abundance of cycle paths, clean parks, beaches, people were very friendly, nice well kept housing estates (from what we saw) A helpful estate agent gave us her views of certain area's NOR (her opinion not ours)
In her opinion Edgewater, Tapping, Wanneroo, Carramar are cheaper due to the mosquitoes from the nearby lake so avoid if you are normally mozzie food.
Spent most of the weekend visiting the open houses, which is great but does seem weird at first.
Much more scenery, more like England with hills and trees. Property so much cheaper. Looked at Flagstaff hills, Happy Valley, Blackwood, Hallets Cove, liked them all. A couple of people recommended Hallets cove as they say the prices are very reasonable considering it's so close the sea and are expected rise. Blackwood very nice school from what we saw.
Adelaide did seem a lot older generation than Perth, i have never seen so many 80yr olds (I'm going to get shot down for that comment).
I could go on and on about them both, basically we are torn between the two. I like Perth but change my mind every day, daughter prefers Perth, son loves Adelaide, wife likes Adelaide.....god help us, lol.

There is quite a lot of old people down that way isn't there It's one of the first things I noticed too.

Maybe you should consider which has the best employment prospects as that is a major factor. No point picking Perth if all the jobs are in Adelaide, or vice versa.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
There is quite a lot of old people down that way isn't there It's one of the first things I noticed too.

Maybe you should consider which has the best employment prospects as that is a major factor. No point picking Perth if all the jobs are in Adelaide, or vice versa.
Listen to Wendy. We chose Adelaide for the scenery, lower cost houses, etc. After nearly 8 months my husband has moved to Perth to get a job. What sort of work do you do?
Old Apr 13th 2007, 7:43 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Never found this to be a problem in Carramar and been here 18 months.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:33 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[ lol.[/QUOTE]

Intersesting that, cheers.

Dave
Old Apr 13th 2007, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all

Hi thpinkpussycat, as i said it was her opinion. We did visit the lake and had no problems that day. You are the best people to give opinions as you live there. Nice to have met you at Hillarys the other week.
Dorothy, I'm a toolmaker by trade, although i would like to try a new career and i do feel Perth would offer me more of a chance in doing so. If we lived in Adelaide we could afford a nice house and be mortgage free, so a well paid job wouldn't be a priority. I spoke to a number of people and each one said they were expecting a boom like Perth as they are starting to mine Gold and another metal which has been discovered. I don't know if this is wishful thinking or not.
I'm just glad we didn't visit more states on our reccie, lol.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:25 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Also.. Glenelg is lovely, if we had gone to Adelaide would have loved a house there. Blackwood is nice too have an uncle who has a house in the hills there.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Adelaide might have more older people because all the young one's leave! (no need for flaming, 'twas a joke!)

Western Australia has just announced it's unemployment is the lowest in Oz, around 2%. Definately where all the jobs are.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 11:37 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thpinkpussycat, as i said it was her opinion. We did visit the lake and had no problems that day. You are the best people to give opinions as you live there. Nice to have met you at Hillarys the other week.
Dorothy, I'm a toolmaker by trade, although i would like to try a new career and i do feel Perth would offer me more of a chance in doing so. If we lived in Adelaide we could afford a nice house and be mortgage free, so a well paid job wouldn't be a priority. I spoke to a number of people and each one said they were expecting a boom like Perth as they are starting to mine Gold and another metal which has been discovered. I don't know if this is wishful thinking or not.
I'm just glad we didn't visit more states on our reccie, lol.
Hub tried for every job in the city from his trade (electronics engineer) to cashier at Crime Converters. He had so many interviews it wasn't funny, but no joy. It doesn't matter whether you are applying for well paying or not so well paying jobs. If you are applying to work at the local bottle shop you will be overqualified and most likely not get the job. Be sure you really like where you move before you buy, too.