Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reccie - hotel / B&B recommendations Brisbane/Gold Coast

Reccie - hotel / B&B recommendations Brisbane/Gold Coast

Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

vanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura about
Default Reccie - hotel / B&B recommendations Brisbane/Gold Coast

Hi Guys, we are flying to Oz this Friday to do a 2 week reccie in the Brisbane and Gold Coast areas, Yay!!

Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel/hostel/B&B to base ourselves in? we plan to have a week in both Brisbane and GC. We don't want to break the bank but would like to stay somewhere nice and convenient.

I know this has been asked a billion times before but I would love to know your own personal opinions on nice places to check out while we are there. We have no children, so schools are not important, but we do have 3 dogs so would like a bit of land. We reckon a house in the $700k - $800k should be in our price range. Ideally either on the coast, or near parkland would be ideal.

Also, whats with the weather!! there seem to be a lot of those black cloud symbols on the BBC weather website!

Thanks to anyone who finds the time to respond to us!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reccie - hotel / B&B recommendations Brisbane/Gold Coast

Originally Posted by vanessandave
Hi Guys, we are flying to Oz this Friday to do a 2 week reccie in the Brisbane and Gold Coast areas, Yay!!

Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel/hostel/B&B to base ourselves in? we plan to have a week in both Brisbane and GC. We don't want to break the bank but would like to stay somewhere nice and convenient.

I know this has been asked a billion times before but I would love to know your own personal opinions on nice places to check out while we are there. We have no children, so schools are not important, but we do have 3 dogs so would like a bit of land. We reckon a house in the $700k - $800k should be in our price range. Ideally either on the coast, or near parkland would be ideal.

Also, whats with the weather!! there seem to be a lot of those black cloud symbols on the BBC weather website!

Hi vanessadave welcome to the madhouse ! We've used www.quickbeds.com a few times to find bargains at both the places you want to go. Just managed to book Marriott in surfers for 2 nights 15th-16th mar $115/ntSuppose it depends whether you want Hotels or apartments which will determine the price range .By the way saturday was the hottest it's been in Brizzy for 3 yrs @ 40.2 degrees Raining again now though but that's acceptable cos summer is gorn for this year after this week. Good luck
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

vanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura about

Thanks very much for that. Also, as a Stoke City supporter, I'd like to thank you for giving us Liam Lawrence - he's on fire at the moment. I hope we are playing you next year (in the Premiership that is!!)
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

We have 4 dogs to take and because of many suburbs having 2 dog rules. We looked at Greenbank (south of Brisbane and located well for GC) where over 2 acres your ok with 4 dogs, will get nice place with what you have to spend. When we looked around this area, stayed at B&B on Tamborine mountain but was bit expensive...... $250 per night!!

Have lovely time
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for that. Also, as a Stoke City supporter, I'd like to thank you for giving us Liam Lawrence - he's on fire at the moment. I hope we are playing you next year (in the Premiership that is!!)
and matteo and delap and fulop(must be the red & white stripes i guess )
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you're anything like us on our reccie all we managed to check out was as many bars as possible
Old Feb 25th 2008, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

well..... we're calling it a reccie, but 2-week pub crawl is probably more appropriate
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

jo n craig is a jewel in the roughjo n craig is a jewel in the roughjo n craig is a jewel in the roughjo n craig is a jewel in the rough

Hi!
during our reccie we stayed at a fab hostel called Bunk in Brisbane. Good location with parking and it's own bar with hot tub! We booked a double room which was basic but clean! We also stayed in Surfers although wouldn't recommend where we stayed. We then moved on to the sunshine coast - if you're heading that way we can recommend a good place in Noosa!
Have fun!
Jo and Craig
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

steveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant futuresteveandlesley has a brilliant future

Hi there,
The potters are flying
We too are also going to Brisbane & the Gold Coast for 3 weeks, we fly out from Manchester on sat morn hopefully in time to catch the QPR game on fox tv
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Hi there
We went to GC for a three week reccie in May last year. We loved it at Burleigh Heads, it is quite, but very nice. We stayed at a place called Key Largo apartments on the GC Highway. It was a nice base for us as we have a 9 year old and it was not too busy. We hired a car so that we could travel to Surfers etc (about 5 mins up the highway). We thought that the cost of the apartment was reasonable, about $550 for 8 nights accommodation, (they had a special offer on as it was their winter). We had our own self contained 2 bed apartment with a kitchen, living and dining area. The small garden area that we had faced onto a communal area with a BBQ and outdoor Spa, (we were in the spa one evening at 9pm, it was raining a bit and was winter there). We liked it as it was only three storeys high.
My OH spoke to some friends of our last week and when it was -9 here, it was about 35 deg on the GC.
Tambourine Mountain is a nice place and also a trip up Q1 building, the views are amazing.
Have a fantastic time.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:57 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Pelican Cove
- stayed there on validation trip and while we waited for the rental to complete building when we moved for good. Fully equipped apartments, 1 2 & 3 bed - en-suite etc etc.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:09 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

The Mediterranean (North Burleigh) http://www.gold-coast.net/mediterran...ort/index.html

and Holiday Inn at Surfers are ok but book them through a discount site if you can - something like wotif.com. All hotels along the coastal strip tend to suffer from some degree of traffic noise so ask for a sea facing room if possible