Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reccie to Gold Coast - Which suburb to stay?

Reccie to Gold Coast - Which suburb to stay?

Old Apr 11th 2012, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Reccie to Gold Coast - Which suburb to stay?

Thanks all, I'll get back on Google Earth later and learn a bit more about these 'divides' (motorway etc).
Old Apr 11th 2012, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

BudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura aboutBudBrain has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
The coast is about an hour top to bottom, if you are eventually planning on working in Brissie (for example) you'd want to be checking out the top half (third) of the coast because travelling time any further down would be a pain.
Where is the top/bottom end of the Gold Coast? From Ormeau to Tweed Heads?
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:33 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, not a journey I've ever done thankfully. Got to be better than from down here anyway but that's saying sod all.
Generally I think the key to sanity is not to work in Brisbane at all if you don't live pretty close.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:36 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BudBrain
If I had my way, I'd travel the whole of Australia for a year but then that still wouldn't be enough time

A while back I asked on here where I should take my family to 'impress' them and the majority went for 'Gold Coast'. We also have some friends around that area.
I think the Gold Coast (coastal coast that is, not hinterland) would be impressive to start off with but Redcliffe and the surrounds would be better for the long term.

There is a train line going out that way, it's going to be a boom area I reckon. Whereas the Gold Coast seems to be on a bit of a decline.

IMO, and all that
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BudBrain
Where is the top/bottom end of the Gold Coast? From Ormeau to Tweed Heads?
http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/t_standard.aspx?pid=615 As near as makes no odds.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=DeadVim;10000116]I've not stayed overnight but Labrador seems a good spot, I'm often down that way. I favour the North of Surfers, less crowded. I'm often down there for a coastal walk.

QUOTE]

I know you have a sense of humour, my Aussie workmates refer to Labrador as Stabrador with regards to it's own perceived crime issues
Old Apr 12th 2012, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Tamborine Mountain to Brisbane CBD and back daily? No way, there madness lies

Tamborine Mountain would be great if you were working from home on your latest top-seller novel or flogging 'craft' to green tourists but as a Brisbane commuter base ... no.

I like it up there but you have to be in a certain place to make it work
Our neighbours commute from the mountain to to the CBD every day, and have done for several years. (and she's a web designer) There are 6000 people up here, not all retired or flogging craft - there are 4 schools so plenty of families as well. There's even an IT vacancy up here http://www.tamborinedailystar.com/Employment.aspx

IT work could easily be outside the CBD or anywhere in the GC vicinity.

Last edited by lesleys; Apr 12th 2012 at 11:00 am.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 12:35 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by lesleys
Our neighbours commute from the mountain to to the CBD every day, and have done for several years. (and she's a web designer) There are 6000 people up here, not all retired or flogging craft - there are 4 schools so plenty of families as well. There's even an IT vacancy up here http://www.tamborinedailystar.com/Employment.aspx

IT work could easily be outside the CBD or anywhere in the GC vicinity.
Nice lead on the local IT market, I may well investigate that further, seems to be my skill-set

I will stand by my CBD commuting view though, too far, too much time and just not worth it for me ... Maybe I am just allergic to modern life
Old Apr 12th 2012, 1:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Unashamedly going off topic but quick question to Lesley - have you been to PRJs? It looks fab, is it worth a detour if I'm ever in the vicinity?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

You could try this place in Varsity it is pretty central

http://www.thechancellor.com.au/

Good luck
Regards
Debs
Old Apr 13th 2012, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Unashamedly going off topic but quick question to Lesley - have you been to PRJs? It looks fab, is it worth a detour if I'm ever in the vicinity?
No. Walked past yesterday and it was closed. Not heard anything about it - good or bad. We probably wouldn't venture there, not being burger eaters

The place getting most good press is on the other side of the road
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bean-T...55029374528495
and it certainly looked popular this week, even though you can't see it from the road.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 10:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by lesleys
No. Walked past yesterday and it was closed. Not heard anything about it - good or bad. We probably wouldn't venture there, not being burger eaters

The place getting most good press is on the other side of the road
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bean-T...55029374528495
and it certainly looked popular this week, even though you can't see it from the road.
No I'm not really a burger eater either but the fish looked good and the place looked like Tiddler would love it.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I've not stayed overnight but Labrador seems a good spot, I'm often down that way. I favour the North of Surfers, less crowded. I'm often down there for a coastal walk.

I really like the coast around Coolangatta but apparently there is a crime issue ... been there a couple of weekends and not seen a problem so ...
+1 for both
Old Apr 14th 2012, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Try looking at Ashmore Palms Holiday Village. Slightly unusual location but pretty central for exploring the Gold Coast and the kids will love it.

We started our life in Australia there for 4 weeks and me being me and because I am cheapskate had a few issues . There is a long term/permanent section and a holiday section.

We stayed in the long term/permanent section so living as trailer trash is now part of our experience. After week one I was begging to be let into the holiday part whatever the cost but it was full.

Joking apart it was a good location to start.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 4:04 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by neil248
I know you have a sense of humour, my Aussie workmates refer to Labrador as Stabrador with regards to it's own perceived crime issues

I have heard some bad stories from that area for sure. I can only look at it from a tourist's perspective.

I do know there is a lot of crime that is migrating North from that region into Logan. Lots of stolen cars, fenced goods, etc. This is coming from the police, not Today Tonight

Given what I know now I'd skip the GC (if you want beaches) and head Northside. Doubtless there are problems there too (a schoolboy was killed at school not so long back) but hey, isn't there everywhere?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.