Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To recci or not to recci?

To recci or not to recci?

Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

UK_2_OZ is a jewel in the roughUK_2_OZ is a jewel in the roughUK_2_OZ is a jewel in the roughUK_2_OZ is a jewel in the rough
Default To recci or not to recci?

Hi, We have never been to australia but doing a visa to move there to get a better lifestyle for all of us hubby, me, 10 yr old daughter and 21 month Golden Retriever.

Do we recci to see what's it like or just go there?

Of the people who did a recci was it worth it?

Of the people that just went without knowing Australia do you wish you had done a recci beforehand?

Thanks Tracey
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To recci or not to recci?

Originally Posted by UK_2_OZ
Hi, We have never been to australia but doing a visa to move there to get a better lifestyle for all of us hubby, me, 10 yr old daughter and 21 month Golden Retriever.

Of the people that just went without knowing Australia do you wish you had done a recci beforehand?

Thanks Tracey
Hey if you can afford to go on a Reccie Just GoI wouldnt need an excuse.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:14 pm
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by samnsam
Hey if you can afford to go on a Reccie Just GoI wouldnt need an excuse.
I would do a reccie if you can or at least if you just decide to go think about travelling around before you decide where to settle - there are huge differences between the various states (lots of differences within them too).
Old Feb 9th 2007, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

UK_2_OZ is a jewel in the roughUK_2_OZ is a jewel in the roughUK_2_OZ is a jewel in the roughUK_2_OZ is a jewel in the rough

Hi, If we just go we would spend a month in Sydney because of the dog and quarantine and then drive up towards Brisbane, look around and stop off on the way where ever we want.

Good point - saved money

Bad point - dog and the difficulties associated with her

Tracey
Old Feb 9th 2007, 5:26 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, If we just go we would spend a month in Sydney because of the dog and quarantine and then drive up towards Brisbane, look around and stop off on the way where ever we want.

Good point - saved money

Bad point - dog and the difficulties associated with her

Tracey
Don't think I'd take the dog just for a reccie! It's a lot of travelling for it to go there and back twice in a short time. JMHO.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Tracey
Probably as well , to be totally sure.

Dave
Old Feb 9th 2007, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Wouldn't take dog on reccie if we go. Dog would only come when we sell up and go.

Just undecided about Reccie we are both self employed and don't get holiday pay etc.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 5:53 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

right so immagine it,you get the plane in a strange town and.........

then what?

where you going?

where are you going to live?

where are your little ones going to go to school?

i have just come back from mine and found it fantastic....

but to save on air fare i have a better idea...dont have a reccie,look on a map,ask a few questions,and then pick an area central and have a month looking round.then you will have saved in my case about 3 grand in air fare..

ast..
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

We have picked from about Tweeds Head (NSW) upto about Surfers Paradise (QLD), looked at Google Earth to get some idea of how big the area is, beaches etc, checked houses for sale/rent, schools, jobs situation. etc.

Hubby would ideally like to be about 1 hour journey from job (when he gets one)
Thought about searching online for newspapers to get some idea of the area.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:16 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

We have picked from about Tweeds Head (NSW) upto about Surfers Paradise (QLD), looked at Google Earth to get some idea of how big the area is, beaches etc, checked houses for sale/rent, schools, jobs situation. etc.

Hubby would ideally like to be about 1 hour journey from job (when he gets one)
Thought about searching online for newspapers to get some idea of the area.

you just keep asking all the questions you can think of,people on here are fantastic and only to ready to help.

good luck ..

ast.xx
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

many thanks for your reply
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:40 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: To recci or not to recci?

Thanks Tracey
Reccie if you can - particularly if you've never been before. The results may surprise you - for better or worse. Don't fall victim to rose-tinted shades or the old "grass is greener" assumption. Caveat emptor.

I'm an Aussie born and bred who's lived in the UK for 3 years, and my wife is a Pom who has visited Australia before - but we still did a reccie for her benefit, so that she could get a better feel for the place.

You can read about our trip Down Under here.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Feb 9th 2007 at 6:43 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tracey
how do you know you're going to have a better lifestyle in Oz if you've never been here?
Old Feb 9th 2007, 6:48 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

We have just booked our reccie trip to Brisbane going out 12th April for 2 weeks .
Treating it as our Holiday, but also a chance to check out the areas, homes, cars and as we are self catering the cost living.
I think it will give us a good start for when we move out there later this year.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
how do you know you're going to have a better lifestyle in Oz if you've never been here?
Good question - lots of research I research everything but more sun, most people think Australia is a better quality of life and although British come back most are because of missing family etc, more relaxed lifestyle, better opportunities for our daughter - she will go down a year at school as in Australia children start school at 5 (J is an august baby so started school here when she was 4 yrs 12 days old - and plays with kids in the year younger to her) both of us are self employed hubby for 18 years in electronics. Best friend and family in Adelaide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.