Reload this Page >

Recce Trip to Melbourne

Recce Trip to Melbourne

Old Dec 23rd 2005, 9:48 am
Just Joined

londonjas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recce Trip to Melbourne

Hi All

I have recently returned from a two week recce trip to Melbourne. I thought I should assemble some of my thoughts here in case they provide a useful snippet of information for someone else......

Housing and areas - We were primarily looking for a period property close to the CBD and saw about 20-25 houses during the two weeks. The ability to pick-up a brochure at an agents and then dash around and see lots of houses makes this process must less hassle than in the UK. I thought the quality and variety of housing was fantastic - lots of the houses we saw had lovely period features, great kitchens and bathrooms (boring but important). We looked in Port Melbourne, Prarhan, Albert Park, Clifton Hill, Hawthorn, Fairfield and St. Kilda. We expected housing to be expensive (thanks to realestate.com.au for that) but we were pleasantly surprised about the state of most houses, less pleasantly surprised about the lack of outside space in most central areas. We found some nice high streets (Fairfield, although not sure about the large wooden dog!) and you can live surprising close to the city but still enjoy some peace, quiet and greenery. We really like Clifton Hill and Hawthorn, Port Melbourne was a bit expensive for us as was Albert Park, Prarhan was really lively but probably a pain to actually live in (traffic!) and parts of St. Kilda were really nice as well.

Supermarkets - thought i would mention this but need to be careful not to stir up the old Tesco versus Coles discussion. We priced up a typical weekly shop and found that compared to a £70-80 shopping bill here we would be looking at $120-140. We found everything we needed in the supermarket but I suspect we would buy meat/fruit and veg at independent stores - certainly Fairfield had a great Fruit & Veg shop on the high street.

General Observations - I was moaning about the traffic in Melbourne when i was there, I shut up about it when I got back to London. People are really friendly - my wife lived in Melbourne and her parents are there which helps - but I met lots of interesting, friendly, funny people who I would enjoy spending time with. Lots of people thought London was 'cool' and really wanted to hear about it - I know this is not necessarily a general view - just my experience. Its SOOO clean. Streets, Trams, Buses, Buildings. Eating out is really good, great cafes and restaurents are everywhere.

I visited three years ago and decided I could not live there, this time though I felt I could. Both Melbourne and Sydney seemed very vibrant with lots going on culturally, socially and workwise, although I would want to live close to the CBD.

Hope this is of some use to someone!

cheers
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 11:40 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recce Trip to Melbourne

I'm off to Brisbane, but I'm sure this is of help to those going to Melbourne.
Thanks for taking the time to post this info.
Julie.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

wild-star has a spectacular aura aboutwild-star has a spectacular aura aboutwild-star has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Recce Trip to Melbourne

Originally Posted by londonjas
Hi All

I have recently returned from a two week recce trip to Melbourne. I thought I should assemble some of my thoughts here in case they provide a useful snippet of information for someone else......

Housing and areas - We were primarily looking for a period property close to the CBD and saw about 20-25 houses during the two weeks. The ability to pick-up a brochure at an agents and then dash around and see lots of houses makes this process must less hassle than in the UK. I thought the quality and variety of housing was fantastic - lots of the houses we saw had lovely period features, great kitchens and bathrooms (boring but important). We looked in Port Melbourne, Prarhan, Albert Park, Clifton Hill, Hawthorn, Fairfield and St. Kilda. We expected housing to be expensive (thanks to realestate.com.au for that) but we were pleasantly surprised about the state of most houses, less pleasantly surprised about the lack of outside space in most central areas. We found some nice high streets (Fairfield, although not sure about the large wooden dog!) and you can live surprising close to the city but still enjoy some peace, quiet and greenery. We really like Clifton Hill and Hawthorn, Port Melbourne was a bit expensive for us as was Albert Park, Prarhan was really lively but probably a pain to actually live in (traffic!) and parts of St. Kilda were really nice as well.

Supermarkets - thought i would mention this but need to be careful not to stir up the old Tesco versus Coles discussion. We priced up a typical weekly shop and found that compared to a £70-80 shopping bill here we would be looking at $120-140. We found everything we needed in the supermarket but I suspect we would buy meat/fruit and veg at independent stores - certainly Fairfield had a great Fruit & Veg shop on the high street.

General Observations - I was moaning about the traffic in Melbourne when i was there, I shut up about it when I got back to London. People are really friendly - my wife lived in Melbourne and her parents are there which helps - but I met lots of interesting, friendly, funny people who I would enjoy spending time with. Lots of people thought London was 'cool' and really wanted to hear about it - I know this is not necessarily a general view - just my experience. Its SOOO clean. Streets, Trams, Buses, Buildings. Eating out is really good, great cafes and restaurents are everywhere.

I visited three years ago and decided I could not live there, this time though I felt I could. Both Melbourne and Sydney seemed very vibrant with lots going on culturally, socially and workwise, although I would want to live close to the CBD.

Hope this is of some use to someone!

cheers
Many thanks for the information, I am heading off to Melbourne at end of Jan.

Merry Christmas

Wild-Stars