Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reassurance please

Reassurance please

Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:04 pm
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light
Question Reassurance please

Hi Guys
I found this forum last week and since then I've been hooked. Its good to hear that so many people on this forum are getting their visa's granted. This is where I need a little reassurance because it looks like we won't be able to lodge our application for at least 12 months. We need to prove hat we've been a couple for at least a year. Infact we've been together 5 just not lived togeher yet. My fiancee has passed the points test she's a podiatrist, I mentioned this in a previous post, I am a part qualified accountant but it will be at least 2 years till I get fully qualified, so going on my other halfs visa is the quickest option. I'm 24 she is 23 and this may seem like we're being impatient but we've wanted this for about 4 years now.
Anyone else in the same position now or has been in this position and can offer any advice.

Cheers
Rick & Charlotte
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default Re: Reassurance please

Originally Posted by Rick C
Hi Guys
I found this forum last week and since then I've been hooked. Its good to hear that so many people on this forum are getting their visa's granted. This is where I need a little reassurance because it looks like we won't be able to lodge our application for at least 12 months. We need to prove hat we've been a couple for at least a year. Infact we've been together 5 just not lived togeher yet. My fiancee has passed the points test she's a podiatrist, I mentioned this in a previous post, I am a part qualified accountant but it will be at least 2 years till I get fully qualified, so going on my other halfs visa is the quickest option. I'm 24 she is 23 and this may seem like we're being impatient but we've wanted this for about 4 years now.
Anyone else in the same position now or has been in this position and can offer any advice.

Cheers
Rick & Charlotte
Hi there Rick

Welcome to the forum and as you say, there is plenty of good (and not so good ) advice here. I am not exactly sure about how your particular visa would work, but hang in there. It will become a reality if you want it to - just work out what you need to do to get the visa, produce as much documentation as you can to support your application and you should be ok.

Anyway, best of luck with it all

Sarah
Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:26 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Hi Guys

Cheers
Rick & Charlotte
I might get shot down for this but...if you are going to start a new life over there as it were and you must be serious about each other as time spent together and the fact you want to go together...why not just get married and be done with it,and lodge that application straight away

Just a thought and sorry if its a completely out of order one...
Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Keep your chin up. Many of us have hit brick walls in the visa process but stick to it and it will come. Having maybe a year to wait will at least give you plenty of time to do all the ground work that needs to be done.Good luck
Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:50 pm
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by peppi
I might get shot down for this but...if you are going to start a new life over there as it were and you must be serious about each other as time spent together and the fact you want to go together...why not just get married and be done with it,and lodge that application straight away

Just a thought and sorry if its a completely out of order one...
You're not out of order. The thought has crossed my mind but the other half doesn't want to get married just for the sake of the visa. We are very serious about each other the only reason we haven't lived together is for economic reasons. Both things that we want to do cost money. From what I've read on this forum emigrating is an expensive business and so is a wedding :scared: so I guess its time to tighten thebelt and start saving.

Here's to the future whatever it may bring!!!!!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Simoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to all

Hi Ric,

Look at this way, if you get married now all your friends and family can go to the wedding, but if you leave it until your in Auss they may not be able to come.

Simone
Old Jul 18th 2005, 5:23 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

You're not out of order. The thought has crossed my mind but the other half doesn't want to get married just for the sake of the visa. We are very serious about each other the only reason we haven't lived together is for economic reasons. Both things that we want to do cost money. From what I've read on this forum emigrating is an expensive business and so is a wedding :scared: so I guess its time to tighten thebelt and start saving.

Here's to the future whatever it may bring!!!!!
As for the wedding...they dont have to cost thousands. Ive done both the big wedding loads of people etc etc and the small(my last one) cut it down to 7 people at the ceremony and few more for evening meal. In all honesty the £1000 small wedding was by far the best and most personal. Plus once people got over it they forgave us for not inviting them. Another truth is other peoples weddings bore the pants off most people,so they might well have been relieved not to be invited
Old Jul 18th 2005, 8:02 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Hi Guys

Cheers
Rick & Charlotte

We were in a kind of similar position but in relation to work. I am a nurse but because I had basically taken a couple of years off to have and look after our two children I didn't meet the criteria. For a skilled independent visa (as you know) you have to have worked 12 out of the previous 18 months. It was really hard because not only did I have to return to work sooner than planned but we had to wait a whole year before we could even lodge our visa. However, the year did pass really quickly, it has given us the opportunity to save some money, we've had loads of time to research where we want to stay in Australia, we have sold our house and moved into rented accommodation and had time to sift through the masses of stuff in the attic Try and be positive about your last year in the UK and use it to travel and visit places that you might never see again (at least for a long time). A year will pass in no time if you take it bit by bit and have lots of plans.

Good luck

Carolyn