Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reasons NOT to secure a rental before you arrive

Reasons NOT to secure a rental before you arrive

Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:53 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reasons NOT to secure a rental before you arrive

I know this is often mentioned, and a lot of us respond that we don't recommend you secure a rental (other than a holiday let, perhaps) without actually seeing the property and meeting the agent or owner.

Just read this and thought it was worth a post: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/exposed-sy...0410-rzsf.html
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons NOT to secure a rental before you arrive

I'm sure I read in the paper a while back that someone like Derryn Hinch had the same scam pulled for a luxury appartment in New York or somewhere similar (was booked from Aus for his hols).

Looks like everyone is fair game to scammers. Trouble is they all seem to get away with it.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons NOT to secure a rental before you arrive

There were a couple of threads on the same sort of thing a while ago, I think it was to do with adverts in Gumtree. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: This one has most info.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Apr 11th 2010 at 10:48 am. Reason: Found the thread.