Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reasons for Emigrating

Reasons for Emigrating

Old May 8th 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

NatD1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reasons for Emigrating

Have been reading through a few different threads (grass is greener / decided to leave Oz) and I am just interested into the reasons why people have decided / are deciding to go to Australia???

For us?

We're recently married, and just dread the thought of bringing up our Kids in England.

Obviously the weather is a factor, and we are really hoping for a better work / life balance - generally a better quality of life. Friends that have made the move already tell us that they work really hard (I think being an Imigrant you have to prove yourself even more so) but get much more from it. Weekends come round quickly and there are some many things to do.

We are both young(ish) and have good jobs in the UK, but the more we hear the stories of people that have moved, the more I make my mind up that I want to move.

For sure, the grass isn't always greener, and you have to move for the right reasons, which assessing everything, I really think that we are.

The biggest stumbling bloke for my wife was leaving her Mum (she's very close) but in the first instance, it will be us and her sister / fella moving out there, and then her Mum and Dad will be following us out in a few years to retire there, so hopefully all bases covered!

Your experiences???
Old May 8th 2008, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice
Default Re: Reasons for Emigrating

You never know unless you try.

To me, yep the grass is greener on this side of the fence, but thats me and coming from my background in the UK.

Telecommunications worker of 8yrs, good life and still own home in scotland, but just wasnt enough.

I came here in 2000 for a year and always wanted to live here, but I have family and friends so thats helps a lot.

also when does winter come in australia? they say its autumn here in perth but its still better than our summers (scotland)
wonder what winter is like? lol

Old May 8th 2008, 11:22 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

God knows...had a moment of madness
Old May 8th 2008, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee28
You never know unless you try.

To me, yep the grass is greener on this side of the fence, but thats me and coming from my background in the UK.

Telecommunications worker of 8yrs, good life and still own home in scotland, but just wasnt enough.

I came here in 2000 for a year and always wanted to live here, but I have family and friends so thats helps a lot.

also when does winter come in australia? they say its autumn here in perth but its still better than our summers (scotland)
wonder what winter is like? lol

Winters very wet in Perth, great city.

I have some family in Perth but will be moving to Brsibane, where ive never been, so Im starting to gte really nervous. The missus said it had to be Brisbane as its nearer her mum in NZ.

There will be ups and downs and the most important thing is you make friends. I will b eleaving a huge group of friends behind in Glasgow as well as the football and its strating to pray on my mind as I arrive on July 18th.
Old May 8th 2008, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

jopaul will become famous soon enoughjopaul will become famous soon enough

i wouldnt say the grass is greener but its certainly better watered.
i moved here to Adelaide 4 months ago for my children and honestly its the best thing we have done for them.
they are content and happy and i have learned to relax and are starting to give them the freedom and independence i had when i was their age, as its so more relaxed here, we have more family time which we didnt have in the Uk as we were both working all the time or too tired from work.

i miss my mum horribly and i must say that was the hardest thing i had to do saying see you later, but i have moved here for my 2 girls.

the fear of walking through town in the day and coming across druggies and drunks, the rising prices and cost of living helped us make that choice. we were lucky to have the chance to do this.

Jo xx
Old May 8th 2008, 11:51 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future

Mine are a little more emotional. Have been conducting a long distance relationship with an Aussie for more than 2.5 years now. It's extremely expensive to maintain and makes more sense to be together. Only waited til now so I could garner sufficient points to go over there. Of course, we wanted the relationship to develop and settle some other personal issues too. Apart from that, the first time I landed in Brisbane, I knew it was home. No other way to put it.
Old May 8th 2008, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice

Originally Posted by jopaul
i wouldnt say the grass is greener but its certainly better watered.
i moved here to Adelaide 4 months ago for my children and honestly its the best thing we have done for them.
they are content and happy and i have learned to relax and are starting to give them the freedom and independence i had when i was their age, as its so more relaxed here, we have more family time which we didnt have in the Uk as we were both working all the time or too tired from work.

i miss my mum horribly and i must say that was the hardest thing i had to do saying see you later, but i have moved here for my 2 girls.

the fear of walking through town in the day and coming across druggies and drunks, the rising prices and cost of living helped us make that choice. we were lucky to have the chance to do this.

Jo xx
Green/Brown i know i would rather be cutting my grass in a fantastic climate, outdoor activities, camping, fishing, wildlife, kids enjoying out door life and better opportunities the list is endless. I must say we both work alot harder but live at the weekend, instead of the wet weekends when you have a choice of cinema, bowling or a bar meal down the local where the same dead beats have been for the last 20 years and probably the next 20. Grab life by the balls and enjoy.
Old May 8th 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret
Green/Brown i know i would rather be cutting my grass in a fantastic climate, outdoor activities, camping, fishing, wildlife, kids enjoying out door life and better opportunities the list is endless. I must say we both work alot harder but live at the weekend, instead of the wet weekends when you have a choice of cinema, bowling or a bar meal down the local where the same dead beats have been for the last 20 years and probably the next 20. Grab life by the balls and enjoy.
Quoted for the truth, well said that man or woman.

Old May 8th 2008, 1:25 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

I am aware that many people who have made a successful move have posted that there should be a "pull" towards Australia as opposed to a "push" from the UK.
Maybe I buck the trend but for me and my family there were two key factors:
  1. my wife lived and worked in Australia 20 years ago for 18 months and always wanted to return (we are both Brits)
  2. totally fed up with the UK, and because of the above, decided to come to Oz.

Best move we ever made. Wish we had done it 10 years ago.
Old May 8th 2008, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Walkabout has a spectacular aura aboutWalkabout has a spectacular aura aboutWalkabout has a spectacular aura about

I grew up there and moved to the UK as a teen. Have pined for "Home" for the last 35 years and hopefully Im now at last going back if I an evr sell the Bl**dy house!!:curse:
Old May 8th 2008, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

ckgreenall will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
I am aware that many people who have made a successful move have posted that there should be a "pull" towards Australia as opposed to a "push" from the UK.
Maybe I buck the trend but for me and my family there were two key factors:
  1. my wife lived and worked in Australia 20 years ago for 18 months and always wanted to return (we are both Brits)
  2. totally fed up with the UK, and because of the above, decided to come to Oz.

Best move we ever made. Wish we had done it 10 years ago.
For us its a pull towards Australia and to give it a try...

We live in a fantastic family orientated village on the edge of York, we have a gorgeous house which is paid for and overall we are very very comfortable in the UK.

But............ I guess its the climate and the outdoor lide that is the pull for us. We do get some fab weather over here (23deg today and not a cloud in the sky!!!) but you can guarantee that if the weather stays like this until the weekend, everyone and i mean everyone will head to the coast & the forests on the basis that we might not see wether like this again for a month! This ultimately means that you are stuck in traffic getting there, can't park when you do get there and generally feel very very crowded on the day.

Our view of Oz is that you can pretty much expect the great weather on most weekends, so therefore you have the ability to plan nice days out and not be over crowded! other than that we are expecting work life and home life to be pretty much the same.... just a little hotter.

Overall I feel much more comfortable knowing that if it doesn't work out in Oz for us, we will be returning to a fantastic place.

Chris & Katrina