Reload this Page >

Reasons to come back to the UK

Reasons to come back to the UK

Old Jun 24th 2003, 2:51 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reasons to come back to the UK

I posted this in another forum and it was suggested I post it here.

Take it all at face value, it is just my experience and the odd fact where appropriate.

I moved back after eleven years in NZ (Auckland). Also lived in
Australia as well (Sydney and Melbourne).

1) Standard of living was lower for me. I earn almost as much in UKP
as I did in NZD. Also, although food is cheaper in NZ, anything
imported (such as electronics) tend to be more expensive. If you earn
£20k over here, don't expect it to be always the same as earning $20k,
$30k, $40k, $50k, or even $60k.

2) Education. I finished my schooling in NZ. Even at 5th Form I was
still covering topics that I did at Primary school in the UK. History
*barely* mentioned any other than NZ history (WW2 was limited to
China), and we only ever did ONE shakespeare book in my entire
school-time. Maybe not a big thing, but I found it quite shocking.

3) Racial problems. The government is more that willing to bend over
backwards to accomodate the locals. A friend of mine could not get a
place on my polytechnic course because there were places available,
but only for Maori's (or anyone who could claim at least 1/8th Maori).
I find the UK is a model of harmony (in general!) compared to NZ where
as soon as there is a chance to make money, certain parties will
suddenly become interested in having hand outs.

4) Isolation. Even flying to Aus is three or four hours. Want to go
somewhere else for a holiday? Be prepared for very long flights, and a
crappy exchange rate. Compared to living here where I can go to Paris
for the day, Tenerife for a week, and even jet off the the US on a
whim, it is a big difference.

5) Arrogance. NZ'ers are generally easier to get to know and easier to
get along with than people in the UK. However they have the annoying
habit of claiming anything with even the slightest connection. For
example, how many people over there said that the LOTR the a NZ film
despite the fact that it was written by a foreigner, funded by
foreigners, and the main characters were almost all foreigners as
well. Not a biggy, but I found it more than a little annoying after a
while.

6) Poorish economy. No matter how you try and dress it up, the economy
is not particularly good. I think the fact that it is a small country
just accentuates the problem. When unemployment is up, you can really
tell. Just look at the number of NZ'ers who leave (brain drain). It is
almost a case of "last one out turn out the lights".

7) Crime. Statistically, crime is worse in NZ. You are more likely to
be a victim of sexual attacks, and more likely to be murdered in NZ
than you are in the UK. Crime seems to have more visibility over here
in the UK but statistics don't lie.

Australia is better since it is a larger, but still suffers some of
the issues. However both Melbourne and Sydney are great cities and
although I would never consider living in NZ again, I can see a set of
circumstances where I would move back to Australia. Not very likely
though.

Old Jun 24th 2003, 7:22 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons to come back to the UK

Originally posted by gOD
I posted this in another forum and it was suggested I post it here.

Take it all at face value, it is just my experience and the odd fact where appropriate.

I moved back after eleven years in NZ (Auckland). Also lived in
Australia as well (Sydney and Melbourne).

1) Standard of living was lower for me. I earn almost as much in UKP
as I did in NZD. Also, although food is cheaper in NZ, anything
imported (such as electronics) tend to be more expensive. If you earn
£20k over here, don't expect it to be always the same as earning $20k,
$30k, $40k, $50k, or even $60k.

2) Education. I finished my schooling in NZ. Even at 5th Form I was
still covering topics that I did at Primary school in the UK. History
*barely* mentioned any other than NZ history (WW2 was limited to
China), and we only ever did ONE shakespeare book in my entire
school-time. Maybe not a big thing, but I found it quite shocking.

3) Racial problems. The government is more that willing to bend over
backwards to accomodate the locals. A friend of mine could not get a
place on my polytechnic course because there were places available,
but only for Maori's (or anyone who could claim at least 1/8th Maori).
I find the UK is a model of harmony (in general!) compared to NZ where
as soon as there is a chance to make money, certain parties will
suddenly become interested in having hand outs.

4) Isolation. Even flying to Aus is three or four hours. Want to go
somewhere else for a holiday? Be prepared for very long flights, and a
crappy exchange rate. Compared to living here where I can go to Paris
for the day, Tenerife for a week, and even jet off the the US on a
whim, it is a big difference.

5) Arrogance. NZ'ers are generally easier to get to know and easier to
get along with than people in the UK. However they have the annoying
habit of claiming anything with even the slightest connection. For
example, how many people over there said that the LOTR the a NZ film
despite the fact that it was written by a foreigner, funded by
foreigners, and the main characters were almost all foreigners as
well. Not a biggy, but I found it more than a little annoying after a
while.

6) Poorish economy. No matter how you try and dress it up, the economy
is not particularly good. I think the fact that it is a small country
just accentuates the problem. When unemployment is up, you can really
tell. Just look at the number of NZ'ers who leave (brain drain). It is
almost a case of "last one out turn out the lights".

7) Crime. Statistically, crime is worse in NZ. You are more likely to
be a victim of sexual attacks, and more likely to be murdered in NZ
than you are in the UK. Crime seems to have more visibility over here
in the UK but statistics don't lie.

Australia is better since it is a larger, but still suffers some of
the issues. However both Melbourne and Sydney are great cities and
although I would never consider living in NZ again, I can see a set of
circumstances where I would move back to Australia. Not very likely
though.

greetings your omnipotence,thats if you are not wilf reincarnated,no7 , is that if you are white? they probably do what they do here with the STATISTICS ,throw in all the tribal,happenings just to boost the figures,remember"lies ,damned lies,then theres statistics"...... MM
Old Jun 24th 2003, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi God

please could you use your wisdom and everlasting powers and get my house sold for me. I promise never to sin ever again.

Your ever faithful servant

BooBoo the Meek
Old Jun 24th 2003, 7:31 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

hello, not I am not wilf (well, being omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent I guess I am!).

No seriously, haven't heard of the except some remarks about him that I have read.

Yes I am white. Don't see how that affects the stats though. I presume you are referring to crime? In which case violence is violence...

Anyway, not trying to put anyone off going, just though I would share and more than happy to explain anything if anyone requests!

One thing I have noticed is that people say that you have to go over with the right attitude. Well, that is completely correct, however in my experience, if you have the "right attitude" you can make it here in England as well. As they say, home is what you make it, and there are a LOT more opportunities here in Blighty from what I have seen (been back 4+ years). Each to their own though, just don't be fooled that NZ or Aus (or anywhere) is paradise. It isn't. Whenever I arrive back in the UK from either of those two (I still have family in both) I just want to kiss the tarmac.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

dessy123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gOD
hello, not I am not wilf (well, being omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent I guess I am!).

No seriously, haven't heard of the except some remarks about him that I have read.

Yes I am white. Don't see how that affects the stats though. I presume you are referring to crime? In which case violence is violence...

Anyway, not trying to put anyone off going, just though I would share and more than happy to explain anything if anyone requests!

One thing I have noticed is that people say that you have to go over with the right attitude. Well, that is completely correct, however in my experience, if you have the "right attitude" you can make it here in England as well. As they say, home is what you make it, and there are a LOT more opportunities here in Blighty from what I have seen (been back 4+ years). Each to their own though, just don't be fooled that NZ or Aus (or anywhere) is paradise. It isn't. Whenever I arrive back in the UK from either of those two (I still have family in both) I just want to kiss the tarmac.
Howdy gOD,

I am seriously considering the move to NZ in a few months time, have job offer sorted and if honest I do have some doubts.

I'm keen to go for the experience and lifestyle but do worry that my career may take a sizeable step back.

One main concern is the cost of living and salary rates. Speaking to any of the pundits at the employmeny agencies in NZ they say you need around double the UK salary. Would you agree? The package on offer to me doesn't double my UK salary - its around $70k + vehicle. Is that OK for Auckland, North Island or South Island. A lot of people have asked salary related questions on here but nobody seems to give a straight answer.

Whats your take on it?

Dessy
Old Jun 24th 2003, 8:14 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

booboo, you have my blessing, I will get your house sold for you, just drop the price a bit (I help those who help themselves)

dessey,

Well, all I can say is, I was on $62k four or five years ago in Auckland and didn't think it was enough. Of course I was probably a spoilt so and so, but housing is expensive (can't remember how much I was paying in rent but it was a bit), and just seems to be going up and up (like in the UK, but not at the same rate).

Food is cheaper (as is petrol) than in the UK so in that regard double is OK. Cars seem to be cheaper as well. The problem is that if want to buy anything imported you get fairly well shafted. For example if you buy something made in Japan, you still pay in yen at the japanese end so the "local value" of the NZ$ doesn't count, it is the dreaded exchange rate, then there is the costs o transport, add in economies of scale and you can see why things add up.

You didn't mention if you were going out by yourself or with a family. If you are going out by yourself, you will certainly survive on $70k. If you have a family you are still doing better than average but are you any better off financially than here? Who knows, it depends what you earned here. Sounds like you will manage but it will be a step back.

I would still go. Just don't burn your bridges and make sure you have the funds and ability to come back... That is my advice anyway!
Old Jun 24th 2003, 8:18 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by gOD
I would still go. Just don't burn your bridges and make sure you have the funds and ability to come back... That is my advice anyway!
And what good advice it is....
Old Jun 24th 2003, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

tom's mum will become famous soon enoughtom's mum will become famous soon enough

thanks for that informed view it sounds very similar to being born and bred in this England,so going to n.z should not be too stressfull,I have this day watched a programme called "Mongrel nation "i have no nationality,originality,or much that has not been given, usually by occupation or plunder,by other cultures or nations much more advanced and civilised than our own.I like many others have worked bloody hard to not get very far with very little help,cant wait to go see you all in New Plymouth,

Phil Ride.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Wilfsbane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr mover
greetings your omnipotence,thats if you are not wilf reincarnated,no7 , is that if you are white? they probably do what they do here with the STATISTICS ,throw in all the tribal,happenings just to boost the figures,remember"lies ,damned lies,then theres statistics"...... MM
Then there's piss-poor grammar (period)

Last edited by Wilfsbane; Jun 24th 2003 at 8:57 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 8:38 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Wilfbain
Then there's piss-poor grammar
I think you may have forgotten a full stop Wilf....
Old Jun 24th 2003, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

tom's mum will become famous soon enoughtom's mum will become famous soon enough

Well I did say "mongrel nation"sorry my secondary mod linked with the local grammer school and went comprehensives,didnt go too well,very basic but still have an opinion,will try herder SIR!
Old Jun 24th 2003, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Wilfsbane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
I think you may have forgotten a full stop (comma) Wilf. Unless you really meant that I had forgotten a full-stop-Wilf.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 9:02 pm
A Male Member

I never professed to use correct grammer/punctuation on an internet forum. I was simply illustrating that we all mistype etc, and communiation on a board such as this is all that matters.

I understood Mr Mover...are you telling me you did'nt?
Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by dessy123
Howdy gOD,

I am seriously considering the move to NZ in a few months time, have job offer sorted and if honest I do have some doubts.

I'm keen to go for the experience and lifestyle but do worry that my career may take a sizeable step back.

One main concern is the cost of living and salary rates. Speaking to any of the pundits at the employmeny agencies in NZ they say you need around double the UK salary. Would you agree? The package on offer to me doesn't double my UK salary - its around $70k + vehicle. Is that OK for Auckland, North Island or South Island. A lot of people have asked salary related questions on here but nobody seems to give a straight answer.

Dessy
$70,000 is a good salary for Auckland it's very good for anywhere else in NZ. But it depends on your lifestyle. I'd say the average wage in NZ is about $40,000 and your earning nearly twice that with car.

Career wise it's not a good move (for most people) but for the experience and lifestyle it's unforgetable. I've been out here 10 years now and virtually never even consider going home even for a holiday. I dosn't suit everyone and if your primary interest is career and money and you've got a good job in the UK STAY PUT.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 11:17 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Reasons to come back to the UK

Originally posted by PeteY
Well pete i think we have uncovered,the new reincarnationof the wilf/slippers ,and whoever ,the faggot is back ........... MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.