Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reasonable Salary???

Reasonable Salary???

Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:58 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of
Question Reasonable Salary???

What is considered to be a good salary in Oz? I know it depends on viewpoint - 40K might be good for a cleaner but rubbish for a dentist. You get the idea?

Can anyone give an insight into salary levels for IT Professionals?
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:03 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasonable Salary???

Originally posted by NedKelly63
What is considered to be a good salary in Oz? I know it depends on viewpoint - 40K might be good for a cleaner but rubbish for a dentist. You get the idea?

try www.wages.com.au

May help ya
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:17 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I would'nt like to be trying to get by without a HOUSEHOLD income of less than $60k. It would be possible, but tough.

I believe the average aus salary is about $38k.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:04 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Ouch! How on earth does someone earning average income with a family afford a mortgage? Do these people live out in the bush or something???

I've been looking at the house prices in Sydney suberbs (Castle Hill, Kellyville) and a 5 bed family house goes for between 600K-700K.

I asked a question earlier about salary multiples i.e. in the UK, mortgage companies usually give you between 3-4 x your gross annual salary. Does anyone have more information about how it works on Oz?

Thanks,

Ian
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

Ouch! How on earth does someone earning average income with a family afford a mortgage? Do these people live out in the bush or something???

Ian
With great difficulty - Aussies are happy for the increase in house price until they come to get back on the market.

House prices have shot up here in the last few years, similar to what happened in the uk in the late 1980's. First time buyers are struggling to get onto the market. That said, there is govt help in the form of the First Homebuyers Grant of $7k and other tax reducing incentives for lower valued properties.

Steve
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:36 am
Now 15% less offensive

Steve,

As you probably know, It is almost impossible for 1st time buyers to get on the property ladder, expecially in the South of England.

Do Oz Mortgae Co's do 100% mortgages?

How do they determine what you can afford?

Thanks
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:39 am
ABCDiamond

I asked a question earlier about salary multiples i.e. in the UK, mortgage companies usually give you between 3-4 x your gross annual salary. Does anyone have more information about how it works on Oz?

Thanks,

Ian
Have a look at this site to calculate examples of what you can borrow.

An example in QLD is a two income family each earning $40,000, with no dependants, can borrow $496,000 from St George, according to their web site.

They don't have the same calculation as in the UK. And banks will have different ways to calculate it.

Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:50 am
Now 15% less offensive

Thanks! Thats useful
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:58 am
kong

Default Re: Reasonable Salary???

Aus wages tend to be......
Attached Thumbnails Reasonable Salary???-peanuts.jpg  

Old Jul 6th 2004, 11:02 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

You earned enough to hightail it back home kong, or did you get repatriated?
Old Jul 6th 2004, 11:04 am
Now 15% less offensive

If you pay peanuts, you get..... KONG!!
Old Jul 6th 2004, 11:10 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

According to the other half who is Australian the wages in Oz are lower than the UK (well in her field).

She was earning $32,000 in Brisbane and was earning £52,000 over here in Nottingham. Which is quite a difference as the £ is worth 2.5 $. Which is one of the reasons she is here as she can send home to save as much as she earned in Brissy.

TT

If you pay peanuts, you get..... KONG!!
Old Jul 6th 2004, 12:08 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

tis true...
wages do seem lower here that in uk....depends what you do..
if i worked in a hospital i would get something near similar to what i got in the uk as a practice nurse(level 1.9...approx $25/hr..uk practice nurse £13.50 ish/hr)....
in the main..practice nurses here get rubbish pay!, generally $18/hr..maybe $20.......but the amount of responsibility is much less...more treatment room based.
compare that with cost of living.....

not whinging..just telling it as it is!
Old Jul 6th 2004, 12:45 pm
ABCDiamond

One of my wifes reasons for not liking the UK was that she couldn't get a decent paying job. No experience etc.

But now, back in Australia, she goes out and gets a good job, and I can afford to stay home

It obviously varies between different people, different jobs etc.

Old Jul 6th 2004, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

I was offered a job with a company in North Melbourne earning Au$35-45K, pretty poor considering here I get a final salary pension scheme £32K basic + bonus.

Just as well were not moving over for money reasons or we'd be seriously dissapointed.

regards,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.