Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A really stupid analogy ...

A really stupid analogy ...

Old Nov 29th 2003, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of
Default A really stupid analogy ...

I've been having doubts about the move recently - this is the first time I've gone through a patch like this despite having lived and worked there and trips back and forth.

It took a deep and meaningful with my wife (the wisest woman in all the world) to let me to click what the problem is.

Imagine you're saving up to buy the horse you've always wanted.
You know what a horse looks like, but think that it would be fun to draw a picture of one as it'll pass the time until you get your horse for real. The problem is that you don't have a horse to draw, so you phone your friends and ask them to describe what you should draw. Some of your friends have horses, some don't. You start to draw your horse based on instructions like "it has a load of black stringy hair sticking out above its bum."

The horse you draw would be a distortion at best.

That would be OK if you looked at it and had a laugh. The problem comes when you want your horse so much and this is the only picture you have to fixate on. After a while you look at your horse and wonder why on Earth you want one of these bizarre looking things.

In my case I'd forgotten I already knew what a horse looked like.

Watching TV shows and reading this forum doesn't give you a picture of life in Aus that will match your experience, so for anyone else who is getting jittery I say "She'll be right, Mate."
Old Nov 29th 2003, 8:05 am
Badge

Default Re: A really stupid analogy ...

lol

I know you could be relied on to be funny mate.

I know what my horse looks like, it's just standing over in the other paddock!

Badge

Old Nov 29th 2003, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

i thought you wanted to go to aus ?

Now you want a horse ?????

LOL

Paul

Old Nov 29th 2003, 1:46 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Strange way to look at it but interesting
Old Nov 29th 2003, 2:03 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean, lol (or not )

The problem is, some people don't know what a horse looks like (not me, well, I know a part of the horse), if ya get what I mean!
Old Nov 29th 2003, 3:26 pm
WBB

lol

a great analogy.

Old Nov 29th 2003, 3:34 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

stoned maybe?
Old Nov 29th 2003, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

That is exactly the problem I am having with my planned year (or so) back in the UK. OMG you should see what my damn horse looks like after reading this site for a few months.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

PeterAndSue is an unknown quantity at this point

My problem is I have never seen a horse.
But many people's options I value say a horse is a lovely beast.
So now I want a Horse, actually I have bought the horse.
So I am going riding on my new horse jan 04 without actually ever seeing a horse.
The other problem is I am taking my wife and three small kids on the horse with me.
The other problem is I am packing in my nice job and selling my house just so I can own this horse that everybody seems to think is a good Idea.
Anyway I am sure I will like the horse , if not I will by a pony. If I dont like the pony then it's back to the UK where I will buy a cat up north somewhere.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

By Jove, Peter and Sue, I think you've got it! )