Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Really confused now...

Really confused now...

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all
Default Really confused now...

Been reading alot in the last couple of days on areas to live /work etc..

and not sure on any of them at first we were gonna go clarkson then ballajura and now i/we are thinking of eaton.....

Anyway if anyone can help/recommend some were that would be great

our basics are i am a wood machinest my wife a carer and one little boy aged 7

we want a house ie 4x2 with drive way thats ok but nothing ott

budget wise think we have $70k to put down and morgage the rest can anyone put it into perspective on were is within our budget and were is nice to live for work schools shops etc etc btw we dont want a big morgage we think we will be earning between us around $40k ish per year
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 6:34 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Really confused now...

ave a look on www.realestate.com.au
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

turkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the rough

http://westpac.com.au/internet/publi...tors+and+tools
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:19 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Gerry, but it's not going to happen for you in Perth.

Here's why. A half decent house is going to cost you at least $450,000, but let's say you find a bargain "renovator's delight" at $350,000, that's going to cost you at least $2,500 for a 100% mortgage.

If you bring $70 grand, let's say you put $50 in to the house and spend the rest on a car and getting set up then the mortgage will be about $2100 a month. You'll probably need to pay mortgage insurance too at about $2500 a year.

Assume you have 2 kids, you'll get about $700 a month Family Tax Benefit.

Earning $40,000 a year your monthly income will be about $2500 plus FTB = $3420 less mortgage leaves about $1100 a month to live on, or $278 a week

Several interest rate rises are predicted this year, within 12 months you will be losing money each month.

It's just not worth it mate.

[edit] sorry, just read you have 1 kid. That means less FTB a month. You'd better do like the Aussies do and pop a few more out to increase your FTB and to claim the $3 grand per sprog payment[/edit]

Last edited by renth; Feb 2nd 2008 at 9:21 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:41 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gerry
Been reading alot in the last couple of days on areas to live /work etc..

and not sure on any of them at first we were gonna go clarkson then ballajura and now i/we are thinking of eaton.....

Anyway if anyone can help/recommend some were that would be great

our basics are i am a wood machinest my wife a carer and one little boy aged 7

we want a house ie 4x2 with drive way thats ok but nothing ott

budget wise think we have $70k to put down and morgage the rest can anyone put it into perspective on were is within our budget and were is nice to live for work schools shops etc etc btw we dont want a big morgage we think we will be earning between us around $40k ish per year
As Renth said it's going to be hard, even if you both can land jobs straight away, added to that the fact that by having your own house, you will have to factor in other costs to your budget like, house/contents insurance, rates, electricity, vehicle rego/insurance/fuel, repairs on house/vehicle, just to name a few that have not already been mentioned.
Have you considered renting? It would probably give you a better quality of life. The "great Australian dream" of owning your own home is well out of reach now of most Australians already here, especially those on low incomes. Even finding a renovators special, you can be looking a long way out of town, in most cases.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:43 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

[edit] sorry, just read you have 1 kid. That means less FTB a month. You'd better do like the Aussies do and pop a few more out to increase your FTB and to claim the $3 grand per sprog payment[/edit]
Is the baby allowance able to be claimed by non-citizens or can anyone claim?
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:56 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Is the baby allowance able to be claimed by non-citizens or can anyone claim?
You must "meet Australian residency requirements for family assistance purposes"

To be paid Family Tax Benefit you must be:

* an Australian resident; OR
* a Special Category visa holder residing in Australia; OR
* the holder of a Criminal Justice Stay visa; OR
* a holder of a temporary visa subclass 070, 309, 310, 447, 451, 695, 785, 786, 787, 820 or 826.

subclass 070 - bridging (removal pending)
subclass 309 - spouse (provisional)
subclass 310 - interdependency (provisional)
subclass 447 - secondary movement offshore entry
subclass 451 - secondary movement relocation
subclass 695 - return pending visa
subclass 785 - temporary protection
subclass 786 - temporary (humanitarian concerns)
subclass 787 - temporary witness protection (trafficking)
subclass 820 - spouse (provisional); and
subclass 826 - interdependency (provisional).

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter...-residency.htm

Last edited by renth; Feb 2nd 2008 at 9:59 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 10:09 pm

You must "meet Australian residency requirements for family assistance purposes"

To be paid Family Tax Benefit you must be:

* an Australian resident; OR
* a Special Category visa holder residing in Australia; OR
* the holder of a Criminal Justice Stay visa; OR
* a holder of a temporary visa subclass 070, 309, 310, 447, 451, 695, 785, 786, 787, 820 or 826.

subclass 070 - bridging (removal pending)
subclass 309 - spouse (provisional)
subclass 310 - interdependency (provisional)
subclass 447 - secondary movement offshore entry
subclass 451 - secondary movement relocation
subclass 695 - return pending visa
subclass 785 - temporary protection
subclass 786 - temporary (humanitarian concerns)
subclass 787 - temporary witness protection (trafficking)
subclass 820 - spouse (provisional); and
subclass 826 - interdependency (provisional).

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter...-residency.htm
Open slather then?
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:14 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I looked into the baby allowance before we arrived.

If I remember correctly you can qualify for it if you arrive while the baby is still quite young. I think you have to be living here and claim for it before the baby is 4 months old. I'm not sure how accurate all that is because I was looking into it in 2006, so you're best to check again if you think you can get it.

Anyway, it's a one off payment that would be helpful but it might be hard to get unless you had babies here.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

Renth/ the bloke, what would your suggestions be now then, as i have just shown my wife this and she is upset to say the least.

when i wrote $70k to put down i meant it as $70k to put down we will be exchangeing around £50k into roughly $110k and then working off say $110k ie car maybe rent for a few months etc etc

so if we work off $110k when landing. is perth really not an option for us now??

is eaton classed as perth as this looks nice too??
i think between us we will earn $40k but not 100% on this yet.

it maybe more i am a fully qualified machinest and my wife a carer.

we really really are confused now as we thought perth was the area to go too but looks like its not now???

any suggestions as to what/were is best for us??

Any help/advice would be highly appreciatted thanks gerry
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:56 pm
(It's not my real name)

I reckon you need to earn more money, 40k combined is really low. You can get over $100 grand cleaning bogs on the mines. I'm sure you can get a better paying job.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:19 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon you need to earn more money, 40k combined is really low. You can get over $100 grand cleaning bogs on the mines. I'm sure you can get a better paying job.
If your both working fulltime flipping burgers at McDonalds would earn you more. I think you need to suss out how much you would really be on and then go from there.

Could you do it on $40,000? yeah but have to budget very carefully
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:14 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I had never heard of Eaton so just looked it up. Being Bunbury / Australind way I would not call it Perth and it is not really commutable. Bridie lives down that way and her husband is in a similar line of business. Maybe drop her a pm. I would have thought two of you working full time could earn more like $80K than $40K.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Renth/ the bloke, what would your suggestions be now then, as i have just shown my wife this and she is upset to say the least.

when i wrote $70k to put down i meant it as $70k to put down we will be exchangeing around £50k into roughly $110k and then working off say $110k ie car maybe rent for a few months etc etc

so if we work off $110k when landing. is perth really not an option for us now??

we really really are confused now as we thought perth was the area to go too but looks like its not now???

any suggestions as to what/were is best for us??

We are coping on OH wages, I am not working due to being a stay at home mum. He is bringing home $48,000 pa and that's basic wages without overtime, of course its much much cheaper here in Tas. The house prices here are the lowest in Aus. So we probably wouldn't be able to buy in Perth either. But here we have just bought a 3 bedroom house on 10 acres, but Tassi is not for everyone. The weather is a lot cooler than the mainland, although I havn't seen any rain for yonks, the grass is all but brown here.

I am quite sure that you are wrong about your potential earnings, though. Look into it a bit further I am sure you will earn more than $40,000 between you.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:45 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kezzabird
I am quite sure that you are wrong about your potential earnings, though. Look into it a bit further I am sure you will earn more than $40,000 between you.
Agree with you and others who think that figures too low. There's massive demand for carers here (Oz) what with a rapidly ageing population and the increasing use of home care, I would imagine your missus would easily find good employment. I find it seriously hard to believe that the pair of you could only bring in $770 a week. Not sure what a machinist does, but you can get an idea of pay grades (and this is minimum wage mind you), here. It's for NSW though, might be higher in WA. According to those pay grades you alone could clear $770 a week (minimum wage).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.