Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Really confused about Private Health Insurance

Really confused about Private Health Insurance

Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:21 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Question Really confused about Private Health Insurance

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I am really confused about all this Private Health Insurance and don't know which one to opt for. Also not sure about all this hospital and extra cover.

There's me and hubby with two kids, one has autism. I wear lenses and we visit the dentist for check ups. Anyone any suggestions or can you make sense of the hospital/extras jargon.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 12th 2007, 5:00 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really confused about Private Health Insurance

Originally Posted by Stitch
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I am really confused about all this Private Health Insurance and don't know which one to opt for. Also not sure about all this hospital and extra cover.

There's me and hubby with two kids, one has autism. I wear lenses and we visit the dentist for check ups. Anyone any suggestions or can you make sense of the hospital/extras jargon.

Cheers

Ginny
It is a really confusing subject. If you jointly earn $100K then the cost of the premiums is about the same as the extra tax you would pay if you didn't take it out so get some - that is the only clear point I can come up with.

For me employers have subsidised it in the past so go with whatever their policy is built around perhaps.

Failing that, pick a big firm like Medibank and sit down and chat for an hour to see what they recommend.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Cheers

Ginny
Look at iselect.com

Good luck, Sue
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:07 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suebrennan
Look at iselect.com

Good luck, Sue
Maybe that site has got better but when I looked 12 months ago they didn't have any policies from HBF or Medibank (the top 2 in WA) and I couldn't make sense of what it did suggest
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:19 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys for the help. Might just have to go and have a chat. They only two that I'm aware of is MBF and Medibank. Seen their offices locally.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:28 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

if ur not over the threshold then dont bother they r all a ****** rip off
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:40 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by biggy
if ur not over the threshold then dont bother they r all a ****** rip off
Not over the threshold yet. I'm still sole earner and that's for peanuts. Hubby should get some part time work in the next month or so. Will bring our earnings up but not greatly. I take it it ain't worked for you then.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:42 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Not over the threshold yet. I'm still sole earner and that's for peanuts. Hubby should get some part time work in the next month or so. Will bring our earnings up but not greatly. I take it it ain't worked for you then.

Cheers

Ginny
This threshold business. Is this based on joint earnings as I think it is? Like, if Mrs Buzzy is a full time Mum and earns nothing, I can earn up to 101,500 before I have to pay medicare levy?

Anyone know the answer?

Buzzy
Old Jan 12th 2007, 11:53 pm
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
This threshold business. Is this based on joint earnings as I think it is? Like, if Mrs Buzzy is a full time Mum and earns nothing, I can earn up to 101,500 before I have to pay medicare levy?

Anyone know the answer?

Buzzy
$50K for a single, $100K for a couple - so yes you can share it.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 1:53 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cheers

Ginny
I am totally confused as well so you are not alone! We went into the Medicare office on Thursday to join up and the lady totally confused and scared us!! She led us to believe that we are not covered for hospital treatment at all!! This scared us and made us wish we had the NHS again. Anyway after speaking to some Aussies we now realise if we have an accident an ambulance will pick us up (paid for via electric bill in QLD) and take us to a public hospital where we will be treated. We wont get to pick who treats us but they wont leave us with limbs hanging off!! Medicare will pay 75% of the bill and then we have to pay the rest!!!!! Now all of my Aussie friends have opted for private cover. This means they get to go to a private hospital and can get things done without going on a waiting list (like uk) and waiting x number of months/years. However they pointed out that the private cover will pay out the 25% gap that Medicare wont pay but only up to the scheduled amount (ie the set anount in the medicare bible eg. broken arm$5000 or something) but if you private doctore chrages $7000 for a broken arm (actually have no idea of true cost) then you have to cover that extra amount - does that make sense??
Now we are planning on starting a family soon and the girls were advising me to go private as they do not rate the public maternity hospital here (Nambour - would love to hear some good reports please) but they pointed out that it will probably come over that sceduled fee I was talking about and even on top of medicare and their private medical insurance they still had to pay nearly $1800 yet they pay $200 a month in premiums!!! Weird. Husband is at work today so I have been looking on the website and getting quotes for private cover and it seems that you can get all sorts of levels, some basic some singing and dancing. For the two of us we were looking close to $200 a month for average cover BUT have just looked into the small print and I wouldn't actually be covered for having a baby for 12 months so we need to get the cover now if we are going to and also hope that a baby doesn't appear too quickly!!!
We do not earn anywhere near $100,000 at the moment as it is only my husband working however when I start to work I think we will go just over it - do they calculate it based on gross or net salary? So if we don't earn $100,000 between us then we wont get charged more??
I think I would like to get private cover as having to find 25% of a huge hospital bill if something terrible happened could totally cripple us but finding $200 dollars for more insurance (on top of car, house and life) is tough too. I hope this has helped someone, hopefully I will figure out what we are going to do soon.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 3:18 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by Vernons
I am totally confused as well so you are not alone! We went into the Medicare office on Thursday to join up and the lady totally confused and scared us!! She led us to believe that we are not covered for hospital treatment at all!! This scared us and made us wish we had the NHS again. Anyway after speaking to some Aussies we now realise if we have an accident an ambulance will pick us up (paid for via electric bill in QLD) and take us to a public hospital where we will be treated. We wont get to pick who treats us but they wont leave us with limbs hanging off!! Medicare will pay 75% of the bill and then we have to pay the rest!!!!! Now all of my Aussie friends have opted for private cover. This means they get to go to a private hospital and can get things done without going on a waiting list (like uk) and waiting x number of months/years. However they pointed out that the private cover will pay out the 25% gap that Medicare wont pay but only up to the scheduled amount (ie the set anount in the medicare bible eg. broken arm$5000 or something) but if you private doctore chrages $7000 for a broken arm (actually have no idea of true cost) then you have to cover that extra amount - does that make sense??
Now we are planning on starting a family soon and the girls were advising me to go private as they do not rate the public maternity hospital here (Nambour - would love to hear some good reports please) but they pointed out that it will probably come over that sceduled fee I was talking about and even on top of medicare and their private medical insurance they still had to pay nearly $1800 yet they pay $200 a month in premiums!!! Weird. Husband is at work today so I have been looking on the website and getting quotes for private cover and it seems that you can get all sorts of levels, some basic some singing and dancing. For the two of us we were looking close to $200 a month for average cover BUT have just looked into the small print and I wouldn't actually be covered for having a baby for 12 months so we need to get the cover now if we are going to and also hope that a baby doesn't appear too quickly!!!
We do not earn anywhere near $100,000 at the moment as it is only my husband working however when I start to work I think we will go just over it - do they calculate it based on gross or net salary? So if we don't earn $100,000 between us then we wont get charged more??
I think I would like to get private cover as having to find 25% of a huge hospital bill if something terrible happened could totally cripple us but finding $200 dollars for more insurance (on top of car, house and life) is tough too. I hope this has helped someone, hopefully I will figure out what we are going to do soon.
Wow, that's a lot of surfing you've been doing. I know what you mean about the smallprint though. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:52 am
A former regular of BE

We do not earn anywhere near $100,000 at the moment as it is only my husband working however when I start to work I think we will go just over it
If you take out a policy at a later date they will charge you a higher premium for every year you are over 30 (I think) that you did not have cover - 1.5% pa springs to mind but please check. As a migrant you get 12 months grace to sign up.

So if you don't earn the $100K yet but think you will in the next year or two it might still be worth doing in your first year.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 7:54 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
If you take out a policy at a later date they will charge you a higher premium for every year you are over 30 (I think) that you did not have cover - 1.5% pa springs to mind but please check. As a migrant you get 12 months grace to sign up.

So if you don't earn the $100K yet but think you will in the next year or two it might still be worth doing in your first year.
Yea that is a good point. Thanks for that. Who have you gone with? What cover have you opted for?
Old Jan 13th 2007, 8:26 am
A former regular of BE

Yea that is a good point. Thanks for that. Who have you gone with? What cover have you opted for?
Medibank Private as that was who my then employer based their policy / contribution on (Advantage Plus hospital and extras). When I moved jobs I got a similar policy but a better deal (now I am paying myself) still with Medibank Private but now called Priority.

What we all really need is a crystal ball as if we knew what we would claim for we would get the minimum policy. You just need to decide how willing you are to have smaller premiums and risk paying for things not covered.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 12:13 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

They all seem to talk about Hospital cover and extras. I can see a long discussion coming on.

Cheers

Ginny