Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:53 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Originally Posted by Bix
We are talking Weebie World.
Not many have experience of it so please refrain from commenting.
Hehehe...fair point ! Noted ;-)
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I see we are down to stats and desperate attempts to show one nation is worse than another...

drugs concern me in all countries!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

murwullambah will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by verystormy
Have you ever being to Australia. Regarded as one of the drug centres of the world. As for opportunity - there are lots of people who arent in mining who are losing their jobs at a fair old rate that might disagree with you.
Yes i live in Australia, you want to try a few months in Manchester on the breadline you will soon come running back, maybe not to Dawsville.

"I have being to Australia" (QUOTE)
Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:26 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

With the exchange rate, coming from the UK abysmal.

Using the beer index, a pint of VB in the Pig and Whistle, must be touching $10 bucks, thats a lot of dollar for very little swallor............
Old Jul 19th 2011, 8:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brendarover
With the exchange rate, coming from the UK abysmal.

Using the beer index, a pint of VB in the Pig and Whistle, must be touching $10 bucks, thats a lot of dollar for very little swallor............
Anyone who pays $10 for VB must be desperate Even Bulmers isn't that expensive in most places.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

rosaleen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
I could have sworn that was Dublin !
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Anyone who pays $10 for VB must be desperate Even Bulmers isn't that expensive in most places.
Neither VB or Bulmers are worth $1.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:14 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Anyone who pays $10 for VB must be desperate
You mean people pay for VB?
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:17 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
The UK's drug problem is minute compared to Australia and New Zealand. Big difference between cocaine and meth.
Total and utter bollocks.

Where do you get this shite from?
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:28 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

============
A gram of pure cocaine cost US$137 in September, up from US$93 last year, and meth jumped from US$133 to US$245. (2007)
============

It might be worth giving up the bananas.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Total and utter bollocks.

Where do you get this shite from?
He has a point. I had to walk over to deceased druggies on my 3 minute walk to the station this morning. And was mugged by another druggie between the station and work. Don't even get me started on all the needles on the ground everywhere.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:01 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
He has a point. I had to walk over to deceased druggies on my 3 minute walk to the station this morning. And was mugged by another druggie between the station and work. Don't even get me started on all the needles on the ground everywhere.
Did you manage to get to work or did the drugged up train driver smash it up again?
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:07 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be able to guage how far I had to go on my walk into work from Clerkenwell to London Bridge by the vomit stains, urine puddles, and the position of the drug addicts in the subways. Too clean around here - I miss a bit of squalor here and there!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:20 am
Just Joined

evomedia is an unknown quantity at this point

Having just moved over to Sydney, I can say the prices in comparrison are high at present, food especially, you can shop around but in general the food prices are 2 to 3 times that of back home, obviously the wages are also higher, but that first month when your here with the uk wage before the aussie pay is a real struggle, cans of drink say are back home 60p and here the same cans are basically £2, rent is around £600 a week in general and you'll have to really search for a bargain. Museums charge for entry, there is no NHS so you'll be paying for health insurance etc... So in comparison or if you were coming just for a holiday its very pricey. But when your on an Aussie wage its comparable again.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evomedia
Having just moved over to Sydney, I can say the prices in comparrison are high at present, food especially, you can shop around but in general the food prices are 2 to 3 times that of back home, obviously the wages are also higher, but that first month when your here with the uk wage before the aussie pay is a real struggle, cans of drink say are back home 60p and here the same cans are basically £2, rent is around £600 a week in general and you'll have to really search for a bargain. Museums charge for entry, there is no NHS so you'll be paying for health insurance etc... So in comparison or if you were coming just for a holiday its very pricey. But when your on an Aussie wage its comparable again.
No they aren't, it's only the current exchange rates which makes them appear so for you (as a tourist/recent arrival) . . . and that's exactly why I wouldn't move here at the moment if I had money I had to exchange, because it locks your brain into 1.5:1 mentality permanently about the place. So when you buy your first house here it's 370,000GBP, and not the actual dollar price of $500,000 (which for me would be 200,000GBP at my 'personal' exchange rate of 2.5:1) . . . and you end up doing that with everything you buy, and it makes you unhappy and more likely to flick back to the UK . . . the same place you couldn't wait to get away from twelve months previous.

Last edited by spartacus; Jul 20th 2011 at 12:34 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.