Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Originally Posted by lumpommer
A lot of people are living on rice or noodles just so that they can keep a roof over their heads.
You should try the Singapore noodle dish that I make - it's fantastic
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:29 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

We can still afford Shift and Enter keys.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that's bizarre. I certainly didn't find that in the South, the fruit and veg were as good as anywhere. I didn't buy any meat while I was there but it looked OK. I didn't find any of the food to be of a lower standard. There really does seem to be a North/South divide in so many ways.
If food hasnt had all the goodness processed out of it our kids wont eat it anyway

Originally Posted by RenShen

I found that food was cheaper in the UK, but of a much lower standard. For example, the fruit and veg in the supermarkets looked like the colour was muted, the meat looked brown.

However, Australia is not so expensive that the difference is massive. I find if you shop around and buy sensibly its OK. Also, we had much more waste when we were in the UK, I buy in a more savvy way here so there is less waste. We also eat much less processed food here which has to be better for us (its just a bit more labour intensive to prepare). The shops here do not carry all of the ready meals, ready prepared veggies etc to the extent of the UK shops.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 1:09 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RenShen
I have llived on the Gold Coast for the last 3 years and recently visited the North West of England. We were staying with family so still did the grocery shop etc.

I found that food was cheaper in the UK, but of a much lower standard. For example, the fruit and veg in the supermarkets looked like the colour was muted, the meat looked brown.

However, Australia is not so expensive that the difference is massive. I find if you shop around and buy sensibly its OK. Also, we had much more waste when we were in the UK, I buy in a more savvy way here so there is less waste. We also eat much less processed food here which has to be better for us (its just a bit more labour intensive to prepare). The shops here do not carry all of the ready meals, ready prepared veggies etc to the extent of the UK shops.
Originally Posted by chris955
Wow, that's bizarre. I certainly didn't find that in the South, the fruit and veg were as good as anywhere. I didn't buy any meat while I was there but it looked OK. I didn't find any of the food to be of a lower standard. There really does seem to be a North/South divide in so many ways.
If food hasnt had all the goodness processed out of it our kids wont eat it anyway
So what you are saying, between you, is that food in the UK, particularly in the North West of England, is a different colour than here in Australia?

Perhaps viewing the food under the gas lights, still common place in supermarkets 'oop North, just makes it look different?
Old Jul 19th 2011, 1:13 am
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
So what you are saying, between you, is that food in the UK, particularly in the North West of England, is a different colour than here in Australia?

Perhaps viewing the food under the gas lights, still common place in supermarkets 'oop North, just makes it look different?
It's those rose tinted glasses again.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 1:21 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by billingham
It's those rose tinted glasses again.
Must be. I remember when I left Manchester, to live in Bristol, being surprised that they had a variety of music over the speaker systems in the supermarkets. It came as such a shock, after only hearing the music from the Hovis ad's, on a continuous loop, in the supermarkets back home.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
We can still afford Shift and Enter keys.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely. I even mentioned it to my Mum, who hates Australia because her lovely family moved there, and she agreed. No rosey glow to her specs
Old Jul 19th 2011, 2:20 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Vegetarian food is a bit exy and the variety a touch limited. We're hardly going to starve so its not worth bitching about really - but I do miss the odd Linda McCartney treat.

Tried to visit a Veggie shop in Cairns we'd found on the internet to buy TVP but got there and of course it had been closed down. The owners were probably run out of town for being unAustralian Might as well have gone to Mackay and opened an outlet for gay and esoteric literature.... Know your market!!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 2:23 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Vegetarian food is a bit exy and the variety a touch limited. We're hardly going to starve so its not worth bitching about really - but I do miss the odd Linda McCartney treat.

Tried to visit a Veggie shop in Cairns we'd found on the internet to buy TVP but got there and of course it had been closed down. The owners were probably run out of town for being unAustralian Might as well have gone to Mackay and opened an outlet for gay and esoteric literature.... Know your market!!
A dog with wings?
Old Jul 19th 2011, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ukecadet
A dog with wings?
Old Jul 19th 2011, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer

TE, Linda McCartney foods are available in Perth. You might also be interested in this article in today's West Australian - come on down http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...ion-for-perth/.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 3:18 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm certainly not saying that, I didn't notice any food that was a different colour, bananas looked very yellow in England but I cant make a true comparison as I haven't seen one here for so long.

Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:04 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
There really are too many variables for anyone to give a sensible answer to that question.

Depends where you come from and where you're going to.
Depends what you earn now and what you will earn in Aus.
Depends on your family make-up.
Depends on your style of living.
Depends if you wish to change lifestyle in any way.

.....the list is extensive.

I can give you my personal opinion but due to the above factors will it actually mean anything to you?

We came over in 2004.
It was cheap here in comparison to our UK way of life.
Things in Australia have increased a lot since then.
Things in the UK have also increased.
Exchange rate has moved dramatically against the GBP.

My assessment now in 2011 is that accounting for all the changes the cost of living would be about the same for us either side of the water.
Good response Bix
Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:16 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I love living here but knowing what I know now I would NOT move to Australia in the current climate with the funds I had back then and my husband earns a huge salary compared to a lot of new migrants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.