Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Old Jul 26th 2011, 1:47 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

The thing is if you say things like this about the UK you are just being realistic but if you say it about this country you are a 'hater' and being anti Australian.

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Which sad to say when the down turn hits it has all the indications of not looking at all pretty.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Originally Posted by chris955
The thing is if you say things like this about the UK you are just being realistic but if you say it about this country you are a 'hater' and being anti Australian.
yeah spot on.

but Australia will never have a recession. its immune is it not. the ozzie dollar will only get stronger and house prices will only rise. didn't you all know this?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

We think the 'bubble' will eventually deflate maybe not burst here, but that said it will happen.
This country is wondrous and we love it here, but there are lots of things going on here that we witnessed prior to moving here, the only difference here is that this country is a more insular/ self protecting organism, not a bad thing on a global table really.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

There's a school of thought that if you say these type of things about the UK people will be pissed off too...most of the people who say things like this all the time - emphasis on all the time- and this type of poster seems to be in decline - probably need another opportunity in life - if Australia is the same for them - then they've blown all the chances life has given them so far...!

When I first found this board, it was full of people running down the UK - it's quite rare now! Most people just want input on whether they are doing the right thing and might reference the weather as some sort of drawcard..no big deal.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:47 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
There's a school of thought that if you say these type of things about the UK people will be pissed off too...most of the people who say things like this all the time - emphasis on all the time- and this type of poster seems to be in decline - probably need another opportunity in life - if Australia is the same for them - then they've blown all the chances life has given them so far...!

When I first found this board, it was full of people running down the UK - it's quite rare now! Most people just want input on whether they are doing the right thing and might reference the weather as some sort of drawcard..no big deal.
The legendary "Godzoners"
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been here long enough to know what it was like back then but I still see quite a few more than happy to run the UK down, it must have been REALLY bad back then

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Old Jul 26th 2011, 9:01 am
Account Closed

I haven't been here long enough to know what it was like back then but I still see quite a few more than happy to run the UK down, it must have been REALLY bad back then
Two factions, at each others throats, on a regular basis.
One group, who had left the UK because they basically thought it was shit, and let everybody know it. Another group, who were less than impressed with Australia's 'offering' and felt free to respond in kind.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
The legendary "Godzoners"
I think this type of poster has morphed into a group of happy, savvy, settled people who have done well against the odds - if you believe the more negative posters. Being Godlike is secondary...he he.

But, there used to be a subset of 'Godzoners' - quite angry posters, definitely not 'happy clappy' who used to list every cliched reason going begging ...a sort of compilation of grudges - in much the same way people compile the 'Greatest Hits' (not) in Australia...

I still find that aspects of Australia outperform the UK, steady! but that is because we got lucky and fulfilled our requirements.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 9:39 am
Just Joined

slinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant futureslinkymalinky has a brilliant future

Do you honestly believe that ? If Australians were worried about this sort of thing they would have stopped all the foreign company buy outs of their 'iconic' companies. Sorry but this idea that Australia somehow protects it's own is just laughable, if there is money in it for the Government then it will go ahead.
I'm comparing with other countries I have lived in - there is a much stronger sense of national pride than many other countries. UK just lost Cadbury to the chinese last year, you can't get more iconic british than that, very sad, but brands can be invented/reinvented - natural resources can't and that is what Austalia has going for it and will have for many generations.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:05 am
Banned

I think you will find that Cadburys was bought by Kraft who are American not Chinese
The point was that most of the countries making the profit from these resources are foreign and many are British. Because mining is such a small part of the overall economy it isn't as though the country can exist and grow purely on the back of coal and iron ore.

Originally Posted by slinkymalinky
I'm comparing with other countries I have lived in - there is a much stronger sense of national pride than many other countries. UK just lost Cadbury to the chinese last year, you can't get more iconic british than that, very sad, but brands can be invented/reinvented - natural resources can't and that is what Austalia has going for it and will have for many generations.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find that Cadburys was bought by Kraft who are American
That would be the same company that owns Vegemite; iconic, Australian, much!??
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:10 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

it isn't as though the country can exist and grow purely on the back of coal and iron ore.

You try progressing in Settlers without them.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:15 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Two factions, at each others throats, on a regular basis.
One group, who had left the UK because they basically thought it was shit, and let everybody know it. Another group, who were less than impressed with Australia's 'offering' and felt free to respond in kind.
Isn't there a third group who are basically happy wherever they are? I'd like to think I belong to that group. Left the UK for personal reasons, not because it was shite.

Both countries have their good and bad points.

I wouldn't want to be trapped anywhere that I didn't want to be.

I feel for those who are here and have found that it is not for them but are unable (easily) to return.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Isn't there a third group who are basically happy wherever they are? I'd like to think I belong to that group...
There might be now... there didn't seem to be in those days. It seemed to be either 'yay' or 'nay'
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:37 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle

Both countries have their good and bad points.

I wouldn't want to be trapped anywhere that I didn't want to be.

I feel for those who are here and have found that it is not for them but are unable (easily) to return.

There might be now... there didn't seem to be in those days. It seemed to be either 'yay' or 'nay'
Yes, it was very much like that. I think it was probably due to there being a time when people could sell their house in the UK, make a big profit and buy a great house, car etc in a great area of Australia.
That's going to make a huge difference isn't it?

I'm still planning a move to Australia but it's getting more and more half hearted as the exchange rate and house prices on both sides of the world go against me.

I am happy in the UK so it's not a problem but as you say Alistair, it would be awful to be trapped in either country.

Last edited by Kapri; Jul 26th 2011 at 3:38 pm. Reason: typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.