Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Alistair has just done the same thing
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:05 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Kinda
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Some good responses.

My answer is that it is really bad for the people who are feeling the pinch worst. Low income earners, who find themselves unable to compete or ask for high wages or compensation packages. New arrivals. People arriving with little or no capital.

For others, it's no big deal and the wheel still turns. For others, life is even easy.

Housing is out of kilter and ****ing immoral if you ask me. I don't like high house prices one bit. Even in the UK with declines they are still too high. And the FX rate is so poor that new arrivals are doing it tough.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:15 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Some good responses.

My answer is that it is really bad for the people who are feeling the pinch worst. Low income earners, who find themselves unable to compete or ask for high wages or compensation packages. New arrivals. People arriving with little or no capital.

For others, it's no big deal and the wheel still turns. For others, life is even easy.

Housing is out of kilter and ****ing immoral if you ask me. I don't like high house prices one bit. Even in the UK with declines they are still too high. And the FX rate is so poor that new arrivals are doing it tough.
I do hope you've used that Aussie-ism with a hint of parody!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
The UK is expensive and Aus is expensive but everyone makes a choice as to where they are prepared to live and the price they are prepared to pay to live there.
totally agree with that

I can't really compare how expensive the UK is now as I've been here too long, but I know when I visited the UK in November it wasn't as cheap as I thought it would be from comments I read on here.

One thing I do know is that I can't even begin to compare the life I have here with the one I left behind. I am now a single parent, earning under $50k a year and I've never been happier.

Sadly, it's not like that for everyone though.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

seeingISbelieving is a jewel in the roughseeingISbelieving is a jewel in the roughseeingISbelieving is a jewel in the roughseeingISbelieving is a jewel in the roughseeingISbelieving is a jewel in the rough

My daughter tells me prices are horrific in Adelaide.

Incidentally, what's happened to the price of bananas in Oz. Gone through the roof, but still 'Cheap as chips' in the UK. Try a banana milkshake if your getting withdrawal symptoms :-)
Old Jul 18th 2011, 3:39 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Australia is not expensive more that the UK is not as expensive as people think it is. Australia is a lot more expensive than it was ten years ago but many places were. The current exchange rate is the killer that's the difference. Will it ever go back to 3-1? i very much doubt it. Australia is not the country it was when it exchange rate was 3-1.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:11 pm
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light

There are a lot of people struggling in Australia due to the extortionate cost of mortgage / rent and spiralling living costs.

A lot of people are living on rice or noodles just so that they can keep a roof over their heads.

Imagine being stuck over there with all your savings gone , low or no wage and a slim chance of getting out of this nightmare.

Be very careful before you make the move and ensure you have done your due dilligence.

Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
As for housing a 7% mortgage interest rate is probably normal and can't blame Australia that it has not ****** it's economy up unlike certain other countries.
Nothing to do with mortgages.....the price of housing is ridiculous
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lumpommer
A lot of people are living on rice or noodles just so that they can keep a roof over their heads.
He's 'aving a go at the Asians now!

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
He he ...I believe the phrase is currency all over the English-speaking world..
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seeingISbelieving
My daughter tells me prices are horrific in Adelaide.

Incidentally, what's happened to the price of bananas in Oz. Gone through the roof, but still 'Cheap as chips' in the UK. Try a banana milkshake if your getting withdrawal symptoms :-)
And its nearly cyclone season again, wave bye bye to the bananas now
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:52 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Australia has become very expensive in the last 10 years and especially the last 5. It has absolutely nothing to do with the exchange rate, 99% of people here wouldn't know or care what the rate was. Food, utilities, housing, running a car etc have all gone up A LOT. We bought well less than half a trolley load of groceries yesterday and it cost $144. Australia has the fastest growing grocery prices in the developed world and it is clear to see. Some will put their fingers in their ears and say 'nah nah nah, I can't hear you' but as someone who grew up here I can tell you it is a fact.
That shouldn't put people off coming but everyone should be aware. This is no longer a cheap country to live in for anyone not just immigrants that look at the exchange rate.
I was in England late last year and many things without a doubt are cheaper in real terms, lots of food was much cheaper. Some things were more of course.

Last edited by chris955; Jul 18th 2011 at 10:54 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:55 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the battlers are doing it tough and it's UnAustralian I tell ya

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chris955
Australia has become very expensive in the last 10 years and especially the last 5. It has absolutely nothing to do with the exchange rate, 99% of people here wouldn't know or care what the rate was. Food, utilities, housing, running a car etc have all gone up A LOT. We bought well less than half a trolley load of groceries yesterday and it cost $144. Australia has the fastest growing grocery prices in the developed world and it is clear to see. Some will put their fingers in their ears and say 'nah nah nah, I can't hear you' but as someone who grew up here I can tell you it is a fact.
That shouldn't put people off coming but everyone should be aware. This is no longer a cheap country to live in for anyone not just immigrants that look at the exchange rate.
I was in England late last year and many things without a doubt are cheaper in real terms, lots of food was much cheaper. Some things were more of course.
I find doing the weekly shop and filling the car with fuel after costs roughly the same as it did for us in the UK earlier this year before we came over. Food is cheaper in UK, but the fuel is far more expensive, so it evens out.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

I have llived on the Gold Coast for the last 3 years and recently visited the North West of England. We were staying with family so still did the grocery shop etc.

I found that food was cheaper in the UK, but of a much lower standard. For example, the fruit and veg in the supermarkets looked like the colour was muted, the meat looked brown.

However, Australia is not so expensive that the difference is massive. I find if you shop around and buy sensibly its OK. Also, we had much more waste when we were in the UK, I buy in a more savvy way here so there is less waste. We also eat much less processed food here which has to be better for us (its just a bit more labour intensive to prepare). The shops here do not carry all of the ready meals, ready prepared veggies etc to the extent of the UK shops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.