Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Originally Posted by ldticp
You said here $8 a schooner is £5, don't mean to be pedantic but thats only correct if you're a tourist spending pounds, if you live in Oz you will/should be earning around 2.2 times salary which would actually convert the $8 schooner to £3.63. A night out in Leeds/UK a few weeks ago and every 330ml bottle was £3.50-£4 each. In London it's been £4+ for a beer for a long time even 3 or 4 years ago when I went down with work it was that high.

1 round of drinks for me and the wife pint of beer and a gin and tonic in a pub in Leeds centre £8.50 that would convert to $18.70 on a 2.2 multiplier.

I'm not trying to sound like I know it all, I don't I'm not in Oz yet but fiddling the conversions to make it sound worse than it is isn't terribly helpful.
What you will find in Australia is that in all likelihood you will spend more on housing as a proportion of your salary food is also more expensive so you will notice that you have less disposable income. Also salaries except for mining are pretty poor in Australia as are contract rates.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

ldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by isgraham
What you will find in Australia is that in all likelihood you will spend more on housing as a proportion of your salary food is also more expensive so you will notice that you have less disposable income. Also salaries except for mining are pretty poor in Australia as are contract rates.
I Currently pay £570p/m on a mortgage which will be paid off before I go, I'll then be renting this house a 3 bed semi out valued at £750p/m. On a 2.2 conversion thats $1650. I'm looking at renting in Brissy at a $350/p/w basis which would total $1400 so actually cheaper than to rent my own house in the UK for a much larger house.

I just hope people can be a bit more realistic about the conversion rates and actual costs. To run my house costs per year plus a few other costs for you to get an idea with dollars at 2.2 next to it:

Gas/electric: £2000 ..$4400
Council tax: £1450..$3190
Water: £500..$1100
Phone/broadband/tv with Virgin: £840..$1848

Cinema ticket for 1 adult in Bradford/UK: £7.50.. $16.50
2 litres milk: £1.65.. $3.63
1 loaf of bread: £1.40 .. $3.08
1 bus ticket 5 miles £2.40.. $5.28
1 can of coke 70p..$1.54
2.7kg pork leg £9..$19.8
KFC wicked zinger meal £4.99..$10.98
1 litre diesel £1.38..$3.03
400g cheese £2.50..$5.50

Can anyone check these costs and tell me how they actually compare in Oz to the UK, these are actual prices I have paid in the last week.

Last edited by ldticp; Jul 23rd 2011 at 7:14 pm. Reason: added more costs
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 7:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I Currently pay £570p/m on a mortgage which will be paid off before I go, I'll then be renting this house a 3 bed semi out valued at £750p/m. On a 2.2 conversion thats $1650. I'm looking at renting in Brissy at a $350/p/w basis which would total $1400 so actually cheaper than to rent my own house in the UK for a much larger house.

I just hope people can be a bit more realistic about the conversion rates and actual costs. To run my house costs per year plus a few other costs for you to get an idea with dollars at 2.2 next to it:

1 can of coke 70p..$1.54
2.7kg pork leg £9..$19.8

Can anyone check these costs and tell me how they actually compare in Oz to the UK, these are actual prices I have paid in the last week.
A bit more realistic than what? Most people quoting the cost of living in Aus on this thread and other ones in this forum are living in Aus and in some cases we have been here for years. We are totally realistic about the cost of living - we've watched it rise steeply here over the last few years. No-one is "fiddling the conversions", they're just telling it as it is.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 8:06 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

1 can of coke 70p..$1.54
2.7kg pork leg £9..$19.8
400g cheese £2.50..$5.50

$350 a week for a house in Brisbane?
Good luck.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 9:21 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

You said here $8 a schooner is £5, don't mean to be pedantic but thats only correct if you're a tourist spending pounds, if you live in Oz you will/should be earning around 2.2 times salary which would actually convert the $8 schooner to £3.63. A night out in Leeds/UK a few weeks ago and every 330ml bottle was £3.50-£4 each. In London it's been £4+ for a beer for a long time even 3 or 4 years ago when I went down with work it was that high.

1 round of drinks for me and the wife pint of beer and a gin and tonic in a pub in Leeds centre £8.50 that would convert to $18.70 on a 2.2 multiplier.

I'm not trying to sound like I know it all, I don't I'm not in Oz yet but fiddling the conversions to make it sound worse than it is isn't terribly helpful.

A schooner's alot smaller than a pint. Seriously, these threads aren't made up from nothing. It's expensive here and the work situation for many is very difficult. Plus when you consider your UK savings are worth so little here now it can be a very tough place to be.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

You said here $8 a schooner is £5, don't mean to be pedantic but thats only correct if you're a tourist spending pounds, if you live in Oz you will/should be earning around 2.2 times salary which would actually convert the $8 schooner to £3.63.
How many people get a salary increase of 2.2 tho when they first move over. Many would not be doubling there salary.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

1 can of coke 70p..$1.54
2.7kg pork leg £9..$19.8
400g cheese £2.50..$5.50

Wait till you get here. Maybe your justifying your figures to make yourself feel better about coming over. As turban said we're not saying this for the fun of it. I wish it was cheap/er here.

I always say x 3, not 2.2. Thats for me anyway. So if you earn 30k in UK for equiv standard of living thats $90k. If you think you'll come here on $70k and be rolling in it then you are a fantasist ;-)

Come to think of it for someone that is such an expert have you even been here?
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by papilon
How many people get a salary increase of 2.2 tho when they first move over. Many would not be doubling there salary.
Think he's inc currency conversion. Yeah you're right not many would earn that much more. Those that do are the ones that actually will be better off here
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 10:56 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

I think one of the issues is that migrating is more costly than it appears.

You take a salary hit because you are an unknown, you don't know where to buy, and what to buy, and you have to buy a lot of new utilities.

I think it takes at least 5 years to get back to where you were in the UK.

After 25 years here I would be in the same boat if I returned to the UK, so the Uk would appear to be expensive and work wouldn't pay as much.

And of course, by the time you have been here for the 5 years required to get on top of life in Australia, you have lost track of the wages and costs in the UK.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A bit more realistic than what? Most people quoting the cost of living in Aus on this thread and other ones in this forum are living in Aus and in some cases we have been here for years. We are totally realistic about the cost of living - we've watched it rise steeply here over the last few years. No-one is "fiddling the conversions", they're just telling it as it is.
We can be realistic about costs, but noone really knows what the conversions are!
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Actually, many people do; it's not so rare. I got almost triple.

I used to say that I COULD use the FX rate *at that time* as my helpful 'multiplier', but I knew it was flawed or unreliable for others.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:50 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Actually, many people do; it's not so rare. I got almost triple.

I used to say that I COULD use the FX rate *at that time* as my helpful 'multiplier', but I knew it was flawed or unreliable for others.
It's different for those of you who transferred their savings around 2.5, used them and a new job to purchase a house, car and start again. For those coming sub the pound's fall through 2 it means taking a huge financial hit if they transfer that lump sum over or feeling the pain with every quid withdrawn from the ATM and spent here. Even if you get a job paying 3x your ex-UK salary it still means you have to start from scratch again as you don't have that nest egg of funds in Australia.

I think anyone coming over now is mad, unless they are aware that the money they have coming in from a job already lined up at 2.5x the UK salary, is ALL they will be spending - ie, no mortgage, no capital assets purchase unless they are prepared to return to the very bottom of the ladder.

If they have no job and are chancing it then do it as a backpacker and bring nothing! If you're risking shipping everything over, family, belongings without employment lined up then sorry, but you'd have to be a worth more than a million or so in the UK for it not to feel like financial suicide.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I have more 'spending money' now, living in Australia, than I ever had in the UK...

Me too...and I'm single here

When I went back in November I spent over 80 quid on a night out! Even with a taxi thrown in (usually around $40) I've never spent over $100 on a night out here in Aus! You can't tell me that 80 pounds is less than $100 no matter what 'conversion' rate is used

1 can of coke 70p..$1.54
2.7kg pork leg £9..$19.8
400g cheese £2.50..$5.50

I was really surprised at prices when I went back, I was expecting everything to be really cheap...but it wasn't.

My brother was putting 10 pounds of gas in his meter every other day (Ok it was minus 10 most of the time, but still 5 quid a day! ) there wasn't anyone in all day either!

My winter gas bill last year (for gas heating, cooking and hot water - just the same as his house, only our house was twice the size) was $110 for 3 month.

It really is a case of some things are cheaper there, others here. I really don't see there's much in it overall.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:05 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

A night out can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be, for me when I was in the UK last year a great night at the pub was certainly way cheaper than a mediocre night at a plastic Irish theme pub here.
I found food especially to be cheaper and other things as well, other things were more expensive, swings and roundabouts.
We don't have gas here and our electricity is about $550 every quarter.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
It's different for those of you who transferred their savings around 2.5, used them and a new job to purchase a house, car and start again. For those coming sub the pound's fall through 2 it means taking a huge financial hit if they transfer that lump sum over or feeling the pain with every quid withdrawn from the ATM and spent here. Even if you get a job paying 3x your ex-UK salary it still means you have to start from scratch again as you don't have that nest egg of funds in Australia.

I think anyone coming over now is mad, unless they are aware that the money they have coming in from a job already lined up at 2.5x the UK salary, is ALL they will be spending - ie, no mortgage, no capital assets purchase unless they are prepared to return to the very bottom of the ladder.
Absolutely - the one-off shot that people don't enjoy now.
There was a time when moving to Australia could buy you time and breathing space and made it actually worthwhile for a lot of people even if they realised it was not quite what they had hoped for.

Like I say - Australia is for niche arrivals...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.